Coyote hearing

1oldcoyote

I spoke of a hunt the other day. I shot at a coyote that was laying on some firm snow after a blizzard. Laying not far from that coyote. Were 3 other coyotes that were completely buried by firm blow over snow.

How did those 3 that were buried hear my shot. And know which way to run?? I thought more on that after giving my initial reply. By "triangulation". Triangulation is how both Red Fox & the coyotes. Pin point a mouse, vole or other critter under deep firm snow. In order to pounce on it.

IF they can hear a light noise under firm snow. It makes sense to me. If they are under firm snow. They can hear noise above that same snow. How well I can not say.

Furthermore, When a coyote is buried under snow. It also makes sense to me, while there. They move somewhat to form an open cavity around their body. Versus being packed tight/solid under that snow.

Other than those 3 buried coyotes. I seen 1 other time. Where a coyote had spent the night under blizzard snow.

They do triangulate sounds very, very well.

From the first few seconds of sound that they hear, they know precisely where it's coming from.

Agree that their immediate directional hearing is amazing.
When they run, stop and listen, do that again, they are truly triangulating in a mathematical sense.

I recall a group discussion I had on another site many years ago. A re-nown/(self anointed mind you) fed adc man. Told me a coyote ONLY uses a den hole for rearing pups, the end. As soon as he stated that. I knew he was clueless & full of himself. As I've as well as others have seen otherwise. I find it amusing what some think of themselves or profess to the masses.

I suppose I could get such a job? Then instantly become so worldly. haha

Since they use culverts all year in my area, I would imagine a natural den would be used year round also. Culvert coyote will have the winter guard hair on neck and between shoulders broken off, the hair freezes to the culvert metal from breathing condensation. In my area cold blowing snow will cover coyote for short periods. I have been stalking them and had the drifting snow cover them, even 200 yards a mouse squeaker will get them to shift and expose ears or head. Seems the only way they are confused about gun noise is when I'm shooting suppressed, or my 17 rem. When they are sleeping near culverts I always head shoot. Coyote are not as easy as fox or raccoon to wire out, especially still alive.

I've wounded a few coyotes & I tracked them to a den hole. I've also seen where a coyote used a culvert for 3 days during a blizzard. Areas I've seen where coyotes moved in. The Red Fox rarely denned in the fields. They started denning in/near farm yards & roadway culverts.

Originally Posted By: 1oldcoyoteI recall a group discussion I had on another site many years ago. A re-nown/(self anointed mind you) fed adc man. Told me a coyote ONLY uses a den hole for rearing pups, the end. As soon as he stated that. I knew he was clueless & full of himself. As I've as well as others have seen otherwise. I find it amusing what some think of themselves or profess to the masses.

I suppose I could get such a job? Then instantly become so worldly. haha

Pot meet kettle...

Out hunting one winter day, during breeding season. I seen a string of coyotes following a distant fence line. The lead coyote(a female). Stopped to pee. All of the following coyotes also stopped & did not break rank. They were pretty evenly spaced apart. One by one they walked up. Then each pee'd on the same area as did the lone female. Each male remained in line as the other males took their turn peeing.

I only witnessed that behavior 1x.

Back