Guided Prairie Dog Hunt

shelton573

I have asked this question in the past here but wanted to get some new info. Can anyone recommend a good guide service for Pdogs? It can be in Kansas, Oklahoma, Wyoming, SD, ND, etc. we have hunted in wood SD for a couple years and went to Wyoming last year. I’m sure I’ll catch some flack over using a guide, but we don’t have the time to drive out, ask permission, then try to shoot. We want to pull up, shoot three days and head home. Any info is much appreciated!

$560/day is getting up there. Willie put us up in a motel and dinner was whatever restaurant was available when we came out of the field.

Originally Posted By: Tooltime 2$560 a day per hunter…. Wow

My thoughts exactly, I was doing research and found a lot in Wyoming that were $300ish per hunter per day guided. Some went up into the 400s but that was all inclusive.

I did something new this year, paid a large rancher for access, his family had 20k acres or so. The cost was $100 per shooter, I thought that was reasonable. That’s per day, we only did one. It’s a middle ground between a guide or sniffing around for access.

He showed us some towns then left, said shut gates & fences on the way out. At first it was so-so shooting. We took a rain/lunch break then moved locations, red hot there, lots of pups, never shot at. I shot several at 20 yards, most 50-100 yards. The hit ratio & carnage was very high. I think one could go the next day & still have great shooting.

I got a few numbers from a waitress at a small cafe. I also cold called a few large ranch owners from info gleaned from the OnX Hunt app. I had more contacts that I never mined, like the one lady that said her BIL likely had options too. It’s small communities, they know others that have opportunities. Even if I’m offered ‘free’ shooting, I try to bring something, could be as simple as a few cases of bottled water, up from there.

I've been on a couple pd hunts w/ Rebel Ridge Outfitters and was satisfied. It's more of a "semi-guided" hunt as he provides you a notebook w/ detailed maps and suggestions for private land he has leased. I quit using his services after the plague his his lands in SW KS and he had to start using lands an hour or more away in eastern CO. I also used Sagebrush Hunt for a couple hunts on the Rita Blanca National Grasslands. As with RR, you borrowed a notebook w/ a number of maps roughly showing the location of pd towns on the Rita Blanca. Unfortunately, the plague hit the RB 5-6 years ago and the neighboring Kiowa National Grasslands a few years later. Sagebrush is now doing semi-guided hunts on private land in the TX panhandle. Keep us updated.

Back