mini-14

scheide

How is the accuracy on them? Any better than they used to be or is that the norm for them? Any way to get better accuracy?

The newer Mini-14s from the mid 580 series to date have the tapered barrel. Prior models up to and including some of the 580 series have a non tapered barrel commonly called "pencil barreled". They were more notorious for inaccuracy and heat warping. The tapered barrel models (post 580 series) are tapered and slightly thicker than the pencil barrels and are more accurate. Gun mileage varies considerably. The pencil barrels typically shot 3-5 MOA and would often warp as the barrel & gas block heated up changing the POI and increasing group size. The tapered barrels typically shoot about 2 MOA with decent ammo with no mods. I don't waste time on cheap mil spec ammo.

There is a font of info at this site where I have spent many hours studying: https://www.perfectunion.com/forums/ruger-mini-14-and-mini-30.86/

Because of the accuracy issues of the earlier models many accuracy producing mods have come about and many are DYI. The most useful mod developed is called the Accu-Strut that clamps onto the barrel in front of the gas block and stabilizes the barrel and provides a heat sink to limit heat warp. Adding a recoil buffer, bedding or shimming the action, installing a smaller gas port bushing, trigger work, etc. all contribute to improved accuracy. Working up a handload helps a lot. I can get 1 MOA out of a 40gr V-max but prefer to use the 53gr SMK for coyotes. My rifle is a consistent 1.5 MOA shooter that after 15-20 rounds might change 100yd POI 1.5" down. I have installed an Accu-Strut even though it has the tapered barrel. In Practical Rifle (run & gun) matches I can easily hold my own with all the AR-15 shooters.

If you get a newer model, take it out an shoot it noting how well it groups. If it groups well you are done. If you like to wring out all the accuracy you can get then do the simple stuff and/or get a strut. Stick to factory Ruger mags. I like the 20 rounders that are easier from the bench and in and around vehicles while hunting. For run & gun you will need the 30 rounders. check out the perfectunion.com mini-14 pages or feel free to PM me if you have questions. The extreme prejudices against the Mini-14 are from experiences with the older models. If someone is badmouthing the Mini-14s they haven't shot the new ones. They are not a heavy barrel match rifle, they are a "ranch rifle" as the brand name implies.

Note the rifle in my avatar.

Last edited:
I always loved the mini-14 rifles. The 3rd one I owned was a pretty decent shooter for one of the older rifles. When I got it used, it would shoot 2.5” moa. The only thing I did was add a flash hider to the end of the barrel, theoretically to help dampen the harmonics off the barrel (?) and lo and behold it would shoot 1.5” moa after that. I was plenty proud. I loved that gun, and regret selling it. It had nice wood that looked snazzy with the stainless.

Thanks Hellgate. Very informative reply. How would I find out about the 580 series? I will PM the guy that has it for sale, and maybe he can give me more info. on it.

Every Mini-14 has a serial number on the receiver where there is a 3 digit prefix to the serial number as in 582-1234XX which would be a 582 series.

I bought a new Mini 14 in 1976. 12 inch groups at 100 yards.
I bought another new Mini 14 in 1986. Thinking it would be better . 10 inch groups at 100 yds.
I bought another new Mini 14 in 1996 thinking it would shoot better 8 inch groups at 100 yds.
So from my experience if you bought a new one today it might shoot 6 inch groups.
Sir don’t put yourself through the pain DO NOT buy a Mini. Buy a 1000.00 AR15 it will shoot 1 groups out of the box.
MD

The new Minis out of the box shoot 2.5" or better.
With a bit of tweaking they shoot under 1.5"
I have owned about 6 Mini-14's and 3 Mini-30's over the last 20 years.
All have shot under 3" out of the box.

Originally Posted By: NDAR15MANI bought a new Mini 14 in 1976. 12 inch groups at 100 yards.
I bought another new Mini 14 in 1986. Thinking it would be better . 10 inch groups at 100 yds.
I bought another new Mini 14 in 1996 thinking it would shoot better 8 inch groups at 100 yds.
So from my experience if you bought a new one today it might shoot 6 inch groups.
Sir don’t put yourself through the pain DO NOT buy a Mini. Buy a 1000.00 AR15 it will shoot 1 groups out of the box.
MD

That's just ammo getting better...

Last edited:
I love Mini 14's. They are not accurate. You can buy stuff and make them a little more accurate but they will never shoot as good as an AR. Didn't you ever watch the A-Team? That's all those guys ever shot and not one person ever died!!!!

Originally Posted By: GCIf you're bragging about 2.5" groups, you don't have anything worth bragging about.

I was thinking it, you said it.

I've owned 2 of em, I would love to say I liked em because they are sweet handling rifles.
All mine did is Pizz me off trying to get them to shoot any kind of groups, function was fine.

Back