Length of barrel.

OKRattler

I'm in the process of picking out two uppers. Doing my research and trying to decide what I want. If you were going to get a 7.62x39 upper would you get a 16 1/2" or 18" barrel? My way of thinking is it won't make much difference but I don't exactly know.

Also what length of barrel would you choose if you were getting a 6mm ARC upper? From what researched that's part of that cartridges claim to fame. Supposedly it doesn't matter, it'll perform well with just about any length of barrel. I plan on getting a suppressor at some point so I probably need to keep that in mind while choosing.

I don't have any direct experience with the 7.62x39, but I can't believe you will see any meaningful difference between a 16.5" vs 18" barrels.
Shorter for sure if a can is in mind.

I've had ARC's in 18, 20, and the current one is 22". There's a solid 100+ FPS advantage to the longer tube over the 18".
I'm running Berger 87 VLD's at a touch over 3000 in the 22".

Had I known I was going to get a can myself, I would have opted for the 18" again.

Alf pretty much summed it up. Except I like the longer barrels and you will gain speed in the Arc with the longer tube like he said. 7.62, short and sweet would be fine.

with the nature of the x39... i'd just go with the 16.5. you might some small gains - but unless you're planning on handloading for it and trying to use it like a precision firearm instead of just a blaster.. who cares about a few fps?

i went with 20" on my ARC to try to balance FPS gain with length including my can.

ive got several uppers in that length and it kind of feels like a sweet spot to me, also i'm not out trying to shoot 1k yards all the time.

I figured it may not make too much of a difference as far as the 7.62x39 is concerned. It's not going to be a long range weapon anyways. Shooting groups of hogs 150 yards or closer will be its job.

I was thinking either an 18 or 20" barrel for the 6mm ARC but I don't want it to look goofy with a suppressor on the end of it either or to be too awkward to get in and out of a vehicle. Mostly that, looking cool is ok too but if it makes a positive difference I'll have a barrel 30" long, I don't care. I don't plan on shootin 1000 yards either so I'm not terribly concerned about it. But I want to have a barrel long enough to get the full potential that the 6mm ARC has to offer.

I just don't want to get one too short and hear "well with a barrel that length you may as well be shooting a...." Because then I'll be thinking well yeah I guess I should have picked a different cartridge.

Last edited:
Back