I want to change barrels on my AR, recommendations?

mr fixit

I have my AR what I have been using for several years, overall I'm very happy. My current outfit is
-18" carbine gas 1/7 .223 Wyld 4140. Its a mid weight barrel
-Double Star lower and upper
-standard LPK and trigger
-A2 butt stock
-quad rail forend, about 12"
-form 1 suppressor 7.5"
-Nikon 3-9 .223 scope

Long story short, I've been a bit unhappy for a while about the weight of this rig. Last night walked out into my lower pasture to sneak up on yipping coyote. Got about 80yrds and took a shot offhand, missed. Weight had the reticle dancing.

That pretty much cinched it for me, I want to cut down some weight. I can get a slim fore end, But the barrel will make the most difference. What 16" barrel would be good alternative. Not looking to spend $500, but not looking for bargain basement either. Also not worried about looks, my whole rig is painted and repainted with Krylon so not too worried about fancy spiral cut lightening grooves or such.

Suggestions for good barrels?

You could just send your barrel to Thomas Pola at Paladin Machine and have him reprofile it to any contour you want. His turnaround is very quick and pricing is reasonable.

Tony Rumore
Tromix

If you want to stick with 223 wylde, look at Ballistic Advantage. I have 16" SPR fluted (and comes threaded) that shoots bulk ammo at 1 MOA, and that's using only 6x glass. I'd bet a higher mag scope and handloads will easily get you under an inch. I've seen this barrel as cheap as $175 on sale so dig a little if you want one. I would def. buy another one for my next build.

Take a look at Faxon barrels. In 16in they have a gunner profile and a pencil profile. I have one of their 14.5 pencil barrels and it is great. In range TV did pretty extensive review and testing with them for their "What Would Stoner Do" project

Originally Posted By: mr fixitThanks folks. Any big differences in carbine or mid length gas?

Less Recoil. You should get mid length. I didn't know they made an 18" carbine gas barrel?!

Originally Posted By: MPFD I didn't know they made an 18" carbine gas barrel?!

Sorry, guess I mistyped, it is a 16" carbine gas I have now.

Originally Posted By: BoomstickIf you want to stick with 223 wylde, look at Ballistic Advantage. I have 16" SPR fluted (and comes threaded) that shoots bulk ammo at 1 MOA, and that's using only 6x glass. I'd bet a higher mag scope and handloads will easily get you under an inch. I've seen this barrel as cheap as $175 on sale so dig a little if you want one. I would def. buy another one for my next build.

There was a time I would agree with you, I don't recommend BA barrels any longer.

If you go to AR15.com and search my screen name, you should find two different posts, with pics, concerning THREE BA barrels I had to return.

Never received any word back from BA on why the barrels shot so poorly despite asking several times, one launched bullets so unstable my AEM5 suppressor was damaged.

I have five BA barrels in .308 and two in 6.5 Grendel, they all shoot good, but I'd pass on anything in .223.

I have the same barrel you mention, it struggles to achieve MOA with various ammo but shoots good enough to keep considering the cost. I got it on sale recently and figured I'd roll the dice, had to return the first one.

I will say they are good at CS and replacing barrels.

I'm a huge fan of White Oak Armament barrels, especially for the price. I have several and many of my friends that I shoot with regularly runs them as well and they all shoot excellent.

My favorite is an 18" SPR profile with rifle length gas combined with a 15" lightweight PSA handguard. This makes for a great shooting, handy rifle at a reasonable cost.

Thanks for all the recommendations. I ended up ordering a Faxon 16" Gunner, mid-length gas 16" barrel, and a new slim handguard.

Hopefully in about a week or so I'll put it together.

Thanks again for the help.

I have a 16 Faxon pencil barrel and it shoots pretty good. I have a load for 50 Nosler BT's that shoot about 3/4" at 100.

imkrx3tl.jpg

Get the tar and feathers ready, BUT I thought Faxon was only recommended by the ARFCOM folk.
I'll stand over here and wait for the pain and baldness. Or just the pain.

I have no experience with Faxonl, just an aversion to Arfcom. I couldn't help myself.

Not a big fan of the ARFCOM forums, but I wanted a lightweight short barrel for called coyotes. This may work. Shoots the 50 NBTs pretty good and the 60 vmax

Originally Posted By: SubpaRGet the tar and feathers ready, BUT I thought Faxon was only recommended by the ARFCOM folk.
I'll stand over here and wait for the pain and baldness. Or just the pain.

I have no experience with Faxonl, just an aversion to Arfcom. I couldn't help myself.

I have seen the Faxon recommended other places. I do go to Arfcom a bit. What you have to understand is that Arfcom is a HUGE site with like a gagillion members. Some of those members can't pour water out of a boot with instructions on bottom. But some members are very knowledgeable. Like most places, you have to weed through and do some research.

I have put off swapping barrels on my rifle, since I've been taking it out a bit lately. However it appears my zero is off so rather then rezero my heavy barrel, I'm just going to go ahead and swap it all out and update. I hope to do that tomorrow or Sunday.

Back