Athlon Scope

In my opinion they have pretty clear glass turrets not so good and heavy.
Depends on model and how much you spend I guess. I think I would rather have vortex of the two in similar models.

As you know the scope is not a good place to save money.

I have Leupold, Zeiss, Vortex, Burris, Sightron and Nikon. The last 3 I've bought have been Athlon. IMO the best bang for the buck in glass and tracking.

Tried the link and got "Server not found" message, so cannot
comment to which you referred.

A few years ago I got the Athlon Talos. The glass was just as
clear as my Vortex Viper. After that, I was looking for a scope
that would withstand the recoil of a smokeless muzzle loader.
After an email exchange with Athlon, I got the Athlon Argos. The
glass was actually more clear than the Viper and I have been
very pleased with it. And yes, it is heavy, however, that just
adds a little more to recoil reduction.

OK, by going to the Midway site and typing in the numbers, the
Talos came up. That's the same one I have (with illuminated
reticle). Don't know which Vortex you are considering, but I
can say that the glass on my Talos is just as clear as that on
my Viper.

Last edited:
Since no Athlons local to check out, I bought another Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-16 at Sportsman's Warehouse.

Originally Posted By: docjon2013Athlon over vortex any day
^^^^^This^^^^^

I didn't have any Athlons locally to check out, either, and just went
off what others had said in reviews and on forums. They did not
disappoint!

Advice to Hylander: Never look through an Athlon if the opportunity
arises. I was immediately disappointed in my Viper when getting the
Talos, and even more so after getting my Argos.

My Athlon must be defective.
I never have liked it. It does not repeat very well at all.
It seems very heavy. Turrets seem spongy.
Don't like Vortex much better but I do like them better than Athlon.
Will say the glass is clear in the Athlon.
I wish I had not wasted money on either.
If I had my money back on all the vortex athlon nikon weaver I could have a good scope.
Used to have several rifles with fair scopes.
Now I have better rifles and better scopes just about half as many. Slow learner I guess.

I have been very happy with all my Vortex's, including this new one.
I have had about 18 of them, right now I have 4 of them and a range finder.
I am really liking my new Sightron I got as well.
Have owned 4 Leupolds and really did not care any of them.

Argos 2-12 getting it done.
zqXVn2.jpg

Second one on new 20P lightweight build.
DuyJjp.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: flowjI have Leupold, Zeiss, Vortex, Burris, Sightron and Nikon. The last 3 I've bought have been Athlon. IMO the best bang for the buck in glass and tracking.

Agree with this 100%. I have 2 Midas Tac and a Cronus. The little more $ Athlons are worth every cent. I may get flamed for this but my Midas Tac was more clear than a friends Razor II IMO anyway

I owned 3athlons, from the cheapest up to the Argos. The Argos was definitely the best! If your on a budget I would recommend the Argos. But there are other scopes that are likely as good or better in the same price range. To me it depends on how I'm gonna use the scope! If its sight in & leave it alone, you can get by with cheaper glass. On the other hand, if your gonna be dialing distance, I would spend some coin.

Originally Posted By: hylanderAny good or waste of money
athlon

Or go with a vortex Originally Posted By: hylanderI have been very happy with all my Vortex's, including this new one.
I have had about 18 of them, right now I have 4 of them and a range finder.
I am really liking my new Sightron I got as well.
Have owned 4 Leupolds and really did not care any of them.

Originally Posted By: hylanderSince no Athlons local to check out, I bought another Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-16 at Sportsman's Warehouse.

This post makes no sense. If you have owned 18 Vortex scopes why did you even ask ?

Last edited:
I've owned four Vortex scopes and think they are way over rated. one Crossfire big bulky and not very clear, one Diamondback it was pretty clear but ust didn't seem to be a comfortable scope for me, two Viper 6.5-20, about the poorest image of any scope I've owned, I did win the egg shoot with one but the rane was short and the dot reticle fit right into the bottom of the egg. on the whole I like even an inexpensive Konus scope better and have two on hunting rifles. My two Athlon 2-12's are among my favorites.

Favorite hunting scopes in order

Sightron II 1.5-6x40 Duplex

Meopta Artimes 1.5-6x42 German #1

Athelon 2-12x42 BDC(open country)

Leupold VariX, VX-1, VX-II, Vx-2 and Freedom 1-4x20

Burris 4X 1.5-6x42 German #4 w/illuminated dot

Konus Pro-30 1.5-6x42 Circle Dot w/illuminated dot

Originally Posted By: flowjI have Leupold, Zeiss, Vortex, Burris, Sightron and Nikon. The last 3 I've bought have been Athlon. IMO the best bang for the buck in glass and tracking.

Agree 100%. I have several Leupolds, NF and other decent optics. Looked thru several vortex razors enough to know Athlon is much more clear to my eye. Tracking on my 4 (Cronus, Ares, 2 midas Tac) have been spot on.

Big Athlon fan. Not sure about their cheapest scopes, but the mid range scopes seem very good IMO. I love my Midas binoculars as well.

Back