6.5 Grendel barrel and trigger

I have an 18 inch palmetto state upper in Grendel. Took a several rounds to get settled in. Loves Hornady black ammo. Also shoots Barnes 120 ttsx hand loads great. It’s a deer killer. Wont win any competitions. I have other calibers I’ve built with craddock precision barrels. They are really good. I basically replace my rack grades with craddock.

I built one a few years ago with ballistic advantage stainless 18” fluted barrel. I’ve been pretty happy with the accuracy. Didn’t do much bench rest shooting with it other than when I put my thermal on it and was shooting under an inch at 100yd. I also built an aero m5 with a 6.5 creedmoor 22” ballistic advantage barrel and it is set up for bench rest shooting. I am normally in .5-.75 moa range with it. I have been very happy with ballistic advantage. I’m running a suppressor on the grendel and think 18” barrel is the perfect length for that setup. If you don’t plan to suppress it I would prolly try to go for 20 or 22” barrel to squeeze little extra velocity out of the round.

I believe the grendel is rifle length gas system. I didn’t put an adjustable gas block on just standard full port clamp on block and Oem buffer and spring. Never had any trouble with it not locking back on the last round. I have since then experimented with h2 and h3 buffers and it seemed to change up the recoil impulse slightly and make it feel like doesn’t kick as sharply. Still locks back and cycles properly. I am currently running the h3 buffer with oem spring.

I have built guns with Geissele triggers and really like them however they are very expensive. The last two lowers I have built out I installed rise armament ra-434 triggers. I love these triggers very crisp break and no take up or creep. They are readily available for around $150 but if you shop around you can get them for around $110-$120. They are advertised as 3.5# trigger pull and seems to be perfect pull for me on a hunting gun. Going forward I wouldn’t install anything other than them unless I was building a precision bench gun that I wanted a lighter trigger pull in and in that case I would get a geissele match trigger.

I purchased a 20” upper from Bear Creek. Wonderfully accurate but a tad on the heavy side. I got it for $275 shipped to my door back in 2020 complete with bolt and carrier.

I have a Black hole weaponry 20” and have been very happy with it, very accurate. Rifle length gas system and I installed an adjustable gas block. From my experience the Grendel is over gassed, so adjustable gas block and heavier buffers are a plus. Mine shoots the 123gr sst factory or hand load under an inch with out trying to hard. I have found a load with the sierra 107 that shoots great as well, but have not seen them available for purchase for quit some time.
triggers, I would have to ask what is your intended use, Bench rest, Long range? Mine has the gieslle, I have others that have Timney, POF and few others and most seem to be good trigger for what they are. Decide if you want single stage vs 2 stage and what # and watch for a sale.

Been running an Odin Works barrel for several years. Using a RRA Varmint trigger with JP reduced power springs. Very happy with the setup.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
I purchased a 20” upper from Bear Creek. Wonderfully accurate but a tad on the heavy side. I got it for $275 shipped to my door back in 2020 complete with bolt and carrier.

ive got one of their 20" 1:8 5R barrels. shoots the hornady black 123gr eld-m about 3/4moa .

absolutely hates hornady custom 123 sst though... ive seen nicer shotgun patterns.

Back