remington R15 range report

My R-15 shot pretty well out of the box using Black Hills 50gr V-Max. Tried some 60 gr's, it didn't care for them much. Just got a S+W M+P, it likes the 50's also....

Nice group, BTW

Chuck

Originally Posted By: Jack Roberts3 shots is too small a sample to be statistically significant.

Jack

Jack I wonder if all the predators I kill every year know them statistacs since I only shoot 3 shot groups?
confused.gif
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Chad WalkOriginally Posted By: Jack Roberts3 shots is too small a sample to be statistically significant.

Jack

Jack I wonder if all the predators I kill every year know them statistacs since I only shoot 3 shot groups?
confused.gif
lol.gif

Agreed. All that I care about is the the bullet that is heading toward the varmint that just entered the cross hairs of my scope.
I shoot to determine that the rig is shooting as good as possible and at distances that I feel are comfortable to take any varmint. Whether it is 3 or 10 shot group, all I care about is the one that I am sending at the critter I am shooting. I want a clean kill. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy punch paper as I have much more opportunities to do this than hunt these days, but what matters is the results on live targets. Dead is dead and that is my criteria for a good shot.

There are people who can shoot amazingly all day at the range but in the field don't have what it takes to get the job done when it matters.
there is a difference between a hunter and a shooter.

I think that you MUST shot at least 50 10 shoot groups before you can say your rifle can hit the broad side of a barn!!!!!!

Now I'll go invest in the ammunition producer's and watch the money roll in. I can even claim shooting is an investment, and getting kids to shoot is increasing demand!!!!

Seriously though,
I agree that in the field the cold bore shot is the one that ought to put them down.

Also, technically if you want to shut everyone up you'll probably end up shooting multiple 10 shot groups and averaging the sizes.

Or, you can do as I do and ignore them and say that one time you shot a good group and as long as you hit your aiming at you don't care how your rifle groups.

What a great group. I do think that 3 is a good starting point. I would have taken the picture and then put the target back up and shot at least 5. If you are trying to say my gun shoots the greatest ever then 3 is fine [beeep] 1 is fine for taking out yotes. If you are trying to find the best load that you yourself can cook up do 5 shot group minimal. Then another 5 shot group on a different day.

Originally Posted By: jim87formulaFor all of you that own R15's and that roll your own what do yall use for powder and bullets for your best groups???

Jim,
I seem to have the oddball rifle in some circles. It shoots most anything well at 100 yards using TAC, Benchmark,8028. At 200 yards the lighter bullets, say up to 55 grainers, don't shoot so well.
Now it loves the 60 grain BT's,V-Maxes, and 65 grain sierra SBT's. It likes pretty much max loads with each bullet.
when I find a load it likes, the brass will be sitting in a 4 or 5 inch pile. it honestly shoots 1.2 inch center to center groups at 200. Not like the group in this thread. I also shoot only 5 shot groups which takes the luck out of the group, or at lest some of it.. Just my experience, your results may vary!

Originally Posted By: jim87formulaFor all of you that own R15's and that roll your own what do yall use for powder and bullets for your best groups???

W748 & a 50 gr vmax
W748 & a hornady 55gr jsp w/can
Best so far is .380" with the 50vmax, the 55jsp .690", 5 shots at 100yds.
Thats taking it easy at the range, if I fire off 5 fast shots all will be under 1.5" no matter what.

Originally Posted By: 5spdOriginally Posted By: jim87formulaFor all of you that own R15's and that roll your own what do yall use for powder and bullets for your best groups???

W748 & a 50 gr vmax
W748 & a hornady 55gr jsp w/can
Best so far is .380" with the 50vmax, the 55jsp .690", 5 shots at 100yds.
Thats taking it easy at the range, if I fire off 5 fast shots all will be under 1.5" no matter what.

Here's a 10 shot group from my R-15. Would have been a lot better if it wasn't for the 3 floaters on top..

50 grain Vmax
27.5 grains- Win 748

IMG00083-20101023-1514.jpg

Three shot groups are fine as long as you have a number of repititions.
For example, three five shots groups proves no more than five three shot groups.
A shooting error that causes an erratic flyer is also the same error that causes a group to be tight. Just in the opposite direction.

My R15 likes Winchester 64 grain Power Points loaded with 24.6 grains of Win 748 and a Federal 205M primer. Very deadly on coyote’s (and deer for that matter). Shot a few bucks and they dropped right where they stood. Didn’t move 1 foot. Neither did the coyote’s
thumbup1.gif
. I have been loading some Sierra 69 grain HPBT’s with TAC & had extremely good results 0.38” measured with my micrometer. I’ve got another batch of those loaded up to re-confirm. If those perform well again I will be very pleased.

Wow, this one goes back several years. I believe I read where Carlos Hathcock said that he likes to shoot the same target one time (cold bore shot) for 10 consecutive days, then measure the group. I guess because the one shot one kill motto.

Back