Ar coyote build

Fadetoblack213

Looking to start a build for a dedicated coyote rifle.

Couple question I am new to this.

16 or 18 inch barrel.

Also torn between these three rounds. 223, 6.5 Grendel , or 224 valkyrie

What do you guys think. I do own a 223 already so probably my last choice

When it comes to the AR15 there are several chamberings to choose from, .223, 6.5Grendel, 6.8SPC, 6mm ARC, and a few others.

Personally, I just like to shoot different stuff so I have all the above plus some others like the 6mmx45mm and .30HRT/TAC 30.

If you don't reload, the .223 is a winner for obvious reasons. If you do reload, the others can be shot fairly affordable considering.

As far as 16" vs./ 18", I have both, use both, and inside 300 yards to me it's a wash as far as one being better than the other.

Botton line... they will all get the job done.

Being you are from NY, I'm guessing you don't need a lot of long range capabilities? Maybe see more foxes than coyotes?

If my assumptions are correct, I'd go with the 223 to save the fox, but you did say 'dedicated coyote rifle' so throw out my opinion if you don't worry about saving fox fur or coyote fur.

My current go to rig is my 204, which would be a nice NY cartridge I'd think. Sure kills coyotes.

Personally I have 2 identical uppers, 1 with a 3-9 Nikin for day use, other with an Armasight Nemesis for night. Both are 18.5" with the rifle length gas system, I just put the suppressor on whichever one I head out door with.

I have used all three you mentioned. Obviously 223 is most readily available ammo and does just fine in coyotes. Grendel is good. I loaded 90 grain Speer tnt for coyotes. It’s my main deer rifle now. Harder to find ammo. Also have Valkyrie. Killed plenty with 60grain stuff. The 78 grain Barnes are absolute hammers if you can find them.

My opinion, if you're looking to do the 6.5 for shorter ranges, you're just as well off with your 6.8. The 22 Nosler is a cool round and faster than 223 for sure, but I doubt we see the cheap Dogtown ammo coming back any time soon and probably never. The 224 V has reasonably priced ammo available here and there so if I wanted something different, that would be my pick. Honestly if I didn't run suppressed and used factory ammo I'd get at least a 20" 223, 22" or 24" would be even better.

If you reload, well then you can get 22N brass so that opens that option back up.

You may consider just using the rifle you currently own.

Love the one you're with.

You can spend and spend and spend. Just for a mangy Coyote.

My main Coyote rifle is a 16 inch suppressed set up. 55 grain bullets, hand loaded, clock 3002fps.

I have never once, for a millisecond felt under gunned with varmints that weight less than 55 pounds, and distances inside 150 yards typically.

IMO the smoothest cycling rifles are 18 inch guns with rifle length gas systems. Sometimes they don't lock back with rifle buttstocks. You can get them to work with a carbine buttstock, a carbine buffer and an OEM spring though.

The 20 inch barrel is easier to tune, and perfect really.

16 inch for me though, as i run a suppressor.

The Remington R-15 (camo) with an 18 or 22" barrel or the Ruger MPR (18" bbl), and the Mossberg MMR (camo) are all fine rifles, affordable and accurate for coyotes.

For my Grendel build I used a Wilson Combat TRUPPERBIL AR Style Billet Upper. The main reason is I do not feel it is necessary to have a forward assist on an AR 15 upper. (In 15+ years ans 1,000 & 1,000 of .223 rounds I have never had to use a forward assist). I like the idea of a heavier upper. I purchased the Wilson because it was the only upper of it's design available at the time.

Here is an example of another slick side upper that I have used and like: AR 15 CMT UPUR-4 Billet Upper Slick Side With Dust Cover.

One final example I use and like:

This os a .204 Ruger build of mine.

Back