Spotting Scope Question?

LUCKYDOG

I'm getting ready to buy a spotting scope and I'm doing my homework. I will be using it mainly at the range. I may take it out hunting but that will be it's secondary use if it happens. What will be better, an angled scope or a straight scope? Is it just personal preference or does one offer an advantage over the other? Thanks!

Angled is the ONLY way to go IMO, if you spend hours and days at a time looking through one you'll thank me!

Optically you will see no difference between the two. It only depends on how you want to set up behind the scope. That said, I went with an angled scope which works best for my needs.

Pros and cons to either......I'll take a straight.....

VmsIgES.jpg

Angled. Can actually have it set up so that can look in spotting scope or rifle without changing position. Otherwise just more comfortable unless you are sitting or standing upright behind it.

I've been going to get a spotting scope for a few years now.
Straight or angled has always been the pending question for me.

I think straight will be more universal ,esp if it's short sessions looking through it. Angled for longer sessions like picking a hillside apart looking for that deer or elk you are after.

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeOriginally Posted By: alf
Angled sucks for use in the truck.....

I agree,esp on a window mount.
Usually the base can be rotated which points the eyepiece towards the drivers seat instead of the roof. At least on the higher end scopes.

I ended up getting a spotter from a member here. I haven't received it yet but it's a Vortex Razor 27-60x85 straight spotting scope. Now I need to figure out everything else!

Hunters relate to spotting scope users as this:

Angled users are normally road hunters who are always looking up.
Straight users are those who get away from the truck and often find themselves looking down into, or across canyons.

Originally Posted By: PirogueHunters relate to spotting scope users as this:

Angled users are normally road hunters who are always looking up.
Straight users are those who get away from the truck and often find themselves looking down into, or across canyons.

That's a bold statement with little proof to back it up.
But we are all entitled to our opinions.

I've got both, in Swarovski and Leupold.

I believe it was stated above the concept for the angled is to keep you neck extended so that it's not always kinked out... and holds true, especially when you are tripoded up, or laying prone, you can literally keep your neck from fatigue.

The angled is tougher to get on target if you see something and want to glass it quickly, it's a tougher acquisition. Where the straight is much easier and quicker.

I actually find the straight to be easier out the window, much easier, and the angled more for hours in the field picking the landscape apart.

Originally Posted By: alf
Angled sucks for use in the truck.....

I agree, especially on cold below zero windy days. I've owned/used 2 straight spotter scopes. Best one was made by Winchester. It was 9" long, light weight & tough as nails. 20-50x50mm power

Last edited:
Angled scope would reguire the truck window to be open all of the way or close to it. In order to use it. Below zero with the wind blowing into truck. Not good.

Originally Posted By: 1oldcoyoteAngled scope would reguire the truck window to be open all of the way or close to it. In order to use it. Below zero with the wind blowing into truck. Not good.

Not necessarily, although I do agree with the premise of the angled is more awkward for the window, most high end angled spotters have a lock ring on the body that allows the optic to be turned 180 degrees. it's still goofy cause you'll have to have your truck quartering to your target, but you won't "have" to have your window all the way down.

Back