Talk me out of a 6x6.8

Boomstick

I have a Six5, and it's all fine and dandy with the 85gr Sierras I'm throwing down the tube, but looking for something with a bit more giddy up. Looking to bounce that barrel and get a 6x6.8 to use 55-60gr to throw some lead at 33-3400. Got all kinds of powder and primers to toy with, so finding a load shouldn't be an issue. Few questions...what twist? 1:9? 1:10? TO barrel? Barrel from Ritch? If I whack a coyote/fox with Vmax or Varminator, will these be prone to exit (not a deciding factor)? Interested in 18" if it makes any difference. Spit some knowledge/experience at me. Yes I have done digging here, trying to think of a reason to not get one.....

DEFINITELY DON'T BUY FROM Ritch unless things has DRASTICALLY CHANGED!!!!!

I recently bought 2 6x6.8 barrels from him and it was the worst purchase I've ever had out of many many custom rifles!

If you truly want that caliber call Xcaliber in Montana or Dtech for his 6dti.

Here's the link to my post here on my experience and there's another thread here in the AR forum that more customers having issues...

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...3591&page=1

I bought a 6 x 6.8 SPC from Ritch and it was a very pleasant experience. I have a 22" barrel and I get 3490 fps with 58 V max and 3200 with 70 gr. NBT. using 8208.

Get a 6mm Hagar. I am sick of shortening the case with the various derivatives of this case. Dti offers the Hagar. They also offer the 6 dti of course. If doing it again I go Hagar

Originally Posted By: steve garrettGet a 6mm Hagar. I am sick of shortening the case with the various derivatives of this case. Dti offers the Hagar. They also offer the 6 dti of course. If doing it again I go Hagar
DTI has a new 6 ARC reamer for the lighter bullets as well.

Had a member here PM me with pretty much what I'm looking for, so that's awesome. But keep the info coming in case anything changes

I have a tactical ordnance barrel from Ritch 22” 1:10 twist couldn’t be happier. 332 is powder of choice with 58 vmax and 55 blitzkings. Both run over 3700 FPS and 1/2” moa so I have no complaints. I preferred the blitzkings on coyote as the don’t exit and they don’t surface splash and pretty much all that are hit in the shoulder are drt. 55gr noslers aren’t bad either but unless hit on the shoulder the generally exit and the coyote usually runs 20-50 yds before falling over in my experience. I shot several Vmaxs at paper and killed 10 to 20 coyotes with them and they seemed to perform similar to the blitzkings as far as expansion and drt but preferred the blitzkings. Only reason I wouldn’t get a 6x6.8 is if I wanted to shoot heavier bullets than say a 87gr vmax and then I’d go with a 243 lbc. I got mine from Ritch too.
Forgot to mention I use starline brass.

Last edited:
Back