243 through a 223 can? Banish 223

Sorry I forgot on the internet you have to explain reasoning for everything....

I have a banish 223 on way, I was told by a friend of mine that he is shooting his 243 through a different manufactures “223” can. This guy kills hundreds of coyotes and is really knowledgeable about thermal, suppressors, etc. I was simply asking if anyone that has the banish 223 is doing this, or has input on it.

And as someone mentioned earlier they are doing it on there’s...

Thanks again for all the answers and input everyone.

I will not be trying any 243 out of my banish....

Maybe another can is in my future in 30 cal ? Lol

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI've asked twice, guess it was missed both times....but why do you want to shoot a 6mm bullet through a 223 suppressor? Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

And you've been answered, multiple times. Not really sure what you don't understand about it.

I have a SAS 6.5 can that I thought about using on a 270 build I was considering. Called up SAS suppressor company and asked if it would be ok to use their 6.5 Barricade on the 270 I was considering. I talked to the owner, not the front desk person, and got the answer to all my questions. It was that easy.

Well first off, the OP never said he already had a 223 can on the way. So my thought was if you want to shoot 243 and 223 through the same can, why not get one that will do both? We already have a post on a guy shooting 308 through a 6.5 can and results weren't favorable. If the OP had said in his first post he had a 223 can coming, it might have made things a little more clearer at least to me. In his last post he says he has the can already coming. I understand now that he's not wanting to buy a second suppressor, at least not right away.

The Banish suppressor's are made by Mack Brother's exclusively for Silencer Central. I've got one of the older Varminter 3.0 suppressors, and it's one of my favorites.

Can you shoot a 6mm bullet out of a 223 rated suppressor? I guess if the ID of the holes in the baffles and end cap are large enough, then yes you can. As far as sound suppression goes, it will probably still be pretty loud since the air volume of a 223 suppressor is almost half of the volume that a 30 caliber suppressor has.

I have three 30 caliber suppressor's that I use on everything from 223 to 300 WM. Shooting 223 rounds with them is actually quieter than using a 223 suppressor because the 30 caliber suppressor traps more air / gas in it when fired.

Originally Posted By: TxhillbillyThe Banish suppressor's are made by Mack Brother's exclusively for Silencer Central. I've got one of the older Varminter 3.0 suppressors, and it's one of my favorites.

Can you shoot a 6mm bullet out of a 223 rated suppressor? I guess if the ID of the holes in the baffles and end cap are large enough, then yes you can. As far as sound suppression goes, it will probably still be pretty loud since the air volume of a 223 suppressor is almost half of the volume that a 30 caliber suppressor has.

I have three 30 caliber suppressor's that I use on everything from 223 to 300 WM. Shooting 223 rounds with them is actually quieter than using a 223 suppressor because the 30 caliber suppressor traps more air / gas in it when fired.

Ummmm you have ZERO clue what your talking about!!!! Very expensive sound testing equipment proves otherwise.

Baffle and endcap diameter have NOTHING to do with internal volume, period. A suppressor that is constructed exactly the same with the exception of diameter of the opening will always be quieter if its caliber specific, period.

What you guys are talking about is the amount of overbore and all manufacturers are different. Surefire and OSS have LOTS of overbore and on some models a .243 could very easily be shot through a "22cal" can.

Best advice is refer to your specific manufacturers and leave the internet experts out of this before something bad happens to you or your equipment.....

Thanks kino… that was my understanding as well.

I’ve reached out to Mack Bros waiting to get a response.

That’s the best past about the internet, someone will almost always say what your thinking … lol

Thanks guys I’d say this discussion is a wrap

Originally Posted By: Kino M

Ummmm you have ZERO clue what your talking about!!!! Very expensive sound testing equipment proves otherwise.

Baffle and endcap diameter have NOTHING to do with internal volume, period. A suppressor that is constructed exactly the same with the exception of diameter of the opening will always be quieter if its caliber specific, period.

What you guys are talking about is the amount of overbore and all manufacturers are different. Surefire and OSS have LOTS of overbore and on some models a .243 could very easily be shot through a "22cal" can.

Best advice is refer to your specific manufacturers and leave the internet experts out of this before something bad happens to you or your equipment.....

Oh really, Most 223 cans are 5-7 inches long with a diameter of 1.25-1.50 inches. Most 30 caliber cans are 10-11.5 inches long with a diameter of 1.50-1.75 inches. That's a [beeep] of a lot more air volume.
Silencer's are the same as muffler's on car's. The larger they are, the more air/gases they trap though the baffle systems.
It's no different than the sound difference that you get from a Cherry Bomb glass pack or a production car muffler on a car. The production muffler has more volume to trap the air/gases coming from an engine, so it's a lot quieter.

I've only been shooting suppressed for a couple decades, and have 7 suppressor's in rimfire, pistol, and rifle caliber's. While most of the manufacture's do or pay for testing with expensive testing equipment, I can tell you from experience the sound differences between different size suppressor's.

Txhillbilly maybe you should reread what you originally posted and what I actually posted again????

In your original post you simply posted that 30 cal cans have more internal volume and are quieter than 22cal cans, you NEVER MENTIONED ANYTHING ABOUT A PHYSICAL SIZE DIFFERENCE!! What you posted is completely misleading and not correct.

Common sense tells you a 10" can has more volume than a 5" can regardless of what caliber hole is through it.

As I stated in my post, if both cans are constructed IDENTICAL other than the diameter of the hole, the caliber specific suppressor will produce the best results, period.

I don't know much about suppressors but I did stay at a holiday Inn last night!

Originally Posted By: Kino MTxhillbilly maybe you should reread what you originally posted and what I actually posted again????

In your original post you simply posted that 30 cal cans have more internal volume and are quieter than 22cal cans, you NEVER MENTIONED ANYTHING ABOUT A PHYSICAL SIZE DIFFERENCE!! What you posted is completely misleading and not correct.

Common sense tells you a 10" can has more volume than a 5" can regardless of what caliber hole is through it.

As I stated in my post, if both cans are constructed IDENTICAL other than the diameter of the hole, the caliber specific suppressor will produce the best results, period.

I don't know much about suppressors but I did stay at a holiday Inn last night!

Evidently, You must be a little short on common sense. LOL!

Anyone that looks at the specs of just about any 223 or 30 caliber suppressor will know that they aren't the same size. That's common knowledge!

Last edited:
Back