burned out barrel

It's hard to tell without a bore scope/cam, but you may be able to see some darkness in the throat without. Does it still shoot good?

I always wanted the R15 204 and had a chance in the classifieds a couple years back but it's always bad timing.

I have not actually looked at it yet. Just wanting some ideas what to look for. I bought my son a R15 in .223 One of the most accurate guns I have seen.

To truly tell you'll need a bore scope.

You might get a guess at to how much it's been shot by checking the bolt face and locking lugs.

I had a knowledgeable buddy bore scope my Cooper .204 before a trip for prairie dogs. I had quite a few rounds (1500+) on the barrel. I almost panicked when he showed me pics of the bbl. Looked more like the surface of a rough paved road.
Took it to the range and it shot 1/2" groups at 200 yds. I took it two more trips out west before having to re-barrel it.

Also had my other .204 bite the dust before a trip, but a good copper cleaning straightened it out.

Even if the bbl looks terrible, it still may be a shooter!

Many years ago, I bought a old used Remington 788 22-250. It would only shoot good for about 15 yo 20 shots. After a good barrel cleaning it would shoot good for another 15 to 20 shots.

I re-loaded some V-Max Moly bullets, and they would shoot good for around 40 shots through the same barrel.

Can't help you with the bore but I have a R15 204 22" and love it. I doubt they were doing mag dumps with the 204 so unless they used it shooting a lot of prairie dogs I would think it would be fine. I'm sure a good cleaning might be in store. You'll just have to see how it shoots for starters. Mine will not shoot 40gr bullets and so far I haven't reloaded for it. Mine prefers Remington 32gr Accutips and they work great on coyotes. I only use mine for coyote hunting and bought it new when they came out 10 - 12 years ago and it doesn't get cleaned very often. Also mine will not feed Winchester 34gr hp reliably, it was pushing the bullets back into the case. I use 20 round Brownells aluminum mags. Colt mags will work too, I haven't tried any others.

Buy it, If it shoots it's still good, if not, rebarrel. A borescope can give you tell tale signs, but ultimately doesn't tell you it will not shoot.

Back