Progressive press

I've had a Hornady LnL for years. Thus I don't exactly remember why I chose it over a Dillon, but it wasn't price. I haven't studied Dillon since but I believe it was because Dillon is harder and requires more expense to switch between rounds, and I load about a dozen chamberings on the LnL. Maybe I was on to something when I see people with multiple Dillon presses in the photo, I just have the one. Of course this is no judgement on the quality of a Dillon, they are clearly quality as well.

I added a 3D printed case feeder to my Lnl....the speed is crazy.

Originally Posted By: springerI've had a Hornady LnL for years.............
Maybe I was on to something when I see people with multiple Dillon presses in the photo, I just have the one.

IIRC, the LNL progressive was not available when I got the Dillon. Used the first press for years mainly for 30-06 and 45 ACP (large primers). Once in a while loaded for .30 Carbine and .357 (small primers)so planned ahead as these required changing primer system over as well. Usually waited until I had quite a large quantity of MT brass for those runs.

Required a lot less hunting rifle ammo, so loaded .375 h&h, 300 WM & 338 WM were (and still are) all loaded on the old Herters single stage.

Later, I started using a lot of .223 predator hunting, so when I came across a bargain on a used Dillon, picked it up and keep one set up for large, the other set up for small primers making caliber changes take less than 5 minutes to accomplish. No adjustments to make, just switch shell plate and powder bushing or measure and put the pre-adjusted dies in place.

I do keep a third powder measure and pre-set each for my three most popular calibers/powder to eliminate having to adjust the measure when changing more popular calibers.

Both my 450's have had all 550 upgrades done except the frame (how long does it take to unscrew two dies and replace), and I prefer the hand operated priming (just old fashioned, I guess
lol.gif
).

Watched an LNL video and they look like a fine press. The only thing it will do that the old Dillon won't, is automatic shell plate rotation. Cost of the LNL is a bit more than the current Dillon press ($621 to $549), but if I were looking for a first progressive, I'd be hard pressed to decide between the two.

Honestly, no more shooting than I do today, I could get by nicely with just the old Herters single stage.
wink.gif

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: crapshootI just bought a bunch a tool heads and powder dies.

im currently working on expanding my powder thrower die bodies collection to make caliber changes simpleer on my LNL-AP

with the lower die body, you can setup casing height for specific calibers, as well as leave the proper insert/expander bushing in the die bottom and then just have to disconnect the spring/actuator arms, slide the whole upper assembly from one set to another, reconnect and then only have to redo the powder charge.

not a HUGE saver, but probably saves me in the area of 5-10 mins per caliber change doing it that way.

I'm another Dillon 550 B supporter. I have mine only set up for the .45 acp. I don't know how many rounds I've loaded on it but its at least 25 years. And their no "BS" guarantee is for real.

Back