Newbie and Norma..

Austin Laughlin

I’m looking for some help from you guys that reload. I roll my own but I don’t have near the experience y’all do, I’m fairly new to it.

I’ve got the chance to buy about 800 rounds of unfired Norma brass in various calibers. I’ve got Nosler, Hornady, Win, and a few Lapua in my fleet now.

“Brass is brass” in a sense with the shortage and prices of today. But I’ve never used nor been around anyone that’s used Norma. I didn’t know if it’s decent? 80% of them will be fireformed to my AI cartridges.

Lapua doesn't make brass for a couple different cartridges that I have so I use Norma in them. Norma brass is good quality it's just not quite a tough as Lapua and will start giving up primer pockets sooner but run at reasonable pressures and it'll hold primer pockets for a few firings.

I love Norma brass! About 15 years ago I was at a gun show and a guy had 5 boxes (20 round) of unfired but older .220 Swift. He wanted $20 for it all. I could hardly get my wallet out quick enough. I am still using that brass to this day. I would be just tickled if all my brass was Norma.

I wore out a .308 Norma barrel with only two boxes of Norma ammo. No telling how many times I reloaded those cases. Don't remember any cracked cases or loose primers, but that was a lot of years ago.
grin.gif

Regards,
hm

Last edited:
I haven't used a ton of Norma, but I know my 270 Wby cases go and go and go. No annealing, just load and shoot full power loads at least a dozen times.

Back