What do you consider a good day for shooting prairie dogs?

I started shooting prairie dogs when I moved to North Dakota in 1977. I average about 7 trips a year, as the dog towns are not too far away. I've used 222, 223, 22-250, 243, 17 hmr and now the 17 WSM. A typical day I'd burn up 500 rounds of 17 WSM, and conservatively average 80% on my hits. Currently, I'm on my 4th 17 WSM(Savage, Franklin Arms, Ruger, Volquartsen). Conditions have to be fairly good with winds no stronger than 15 mph. I have a Leupold 6.5x20 mounted on all of the guns mentioned. I use a portable swiveling bench with sandbags. I also use a Leupold range finder. My longest shots are at 300 yards with the majority in the 125-175 yard range. The 20 grain pellet has plenty of knock down for PD shooting. I have also taken several coyotes with the same load/gun. Therefore, I have done my fair share of reducing the prairie dog population. As a side note, shooting prairie dogs keeps you in good shape when it comes to all the other hunting you may do.

When I'm with other shooters, 200 rds a day is enough. Usually I plan for 2 moves, but have setup 4 times because of weather. Take a break/move for lunch which also least is setting trucks or popup for shade. I have seen shooters who run 10-12 hits out of 50 rds. I always help them, often their"zero" isn't on. I have shot clean on 50 rd boxes, but seem to be usually well into the 40's if the shooting is mainly 250 yards or less. Some areas leaving town at 8am means first shots about 10-10:30, so we shoot until 5pm. I have shot to sunset in Aug, but don't like driving pastures after dark. These are prairie dogs, would like to shoot gophers sometime with rimfires.

My best day ever was when my friends AR Jammed and he became my designated spotter. His jam happened very early on the second day we were out and with him spotting constantly I must have killed over 350 P. Dogs. I offered to let him shoot my rifle but he was content just spotting for me. After a long day of shooting we went back to the motel and were able to clear the issue with his rifle. We were back at it the next day. I have never done so much shooting in one day. I always plan for LOTS of shooting and drive out west myself toting everything but the kitchen sink and LOTS of .204 Ruger and .223 ammo. You can never be to prepared in my book.

Back