Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#3277849 - 05/31/21 04:07 PM Re: What do you consider a good day for shooting prairie dogs? [Re: CRE10]
coloradocelt Offline

Loc: Western Colorado
Depends on the property, some local ranches 10-20 shots.Some closer to 100. But they still need shot. Plus it helps feed the turkey vulture population!

#3278045 - 06/06/21 10:53 AM Re: What do you consider a good day for shooting prairie dogs? [Re: reb8600]
Sgt_Mike Offline
Predator Master

Loc: Arkansas
Originally Posted By: reb8600
Originally Posted By: jsh
Any day in a dog town is a good day. That thing called work sure gets in the way of my hobbies.

Exactly. I don't worry about how many I kill. It is always nice to kill a lot but a good day is any day you can get out to do it.

thumbup1 I'll second that

#3278249 - 06/11/21 11:17 AM Re: What do you consider a good day for shooting prairie dogs? [Re: CRE10]
Acronin Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: NE
Having living in prairie dog areas my whole life and have shot in many different towns, I'll be honest. Most people who come in from a place that doesn't have them have numbers that I'm skeptical about.

You hear a lot of guys saying they've heard or have seen or have killed 1000 prairie dogs in a day.

Well our favorite Pal Mr. Artithmatic just rear's it's ugly had sometimes and here's how it pencils out. . .

Not much before 8am and not much after 8pm is when the shooting starts and stops. My experience may be different than others, but we'll just go with that.

12 hours= 720 minutes

I don't know about you, but I've never had 12 hours of killing a dog every minute. EVEN IF you shoot 50% that means you actually kill one every 30 seconds.

No pee breaks, no lunch breaks, no picking up and moving. That is the math and I can tell you that it would be extremely difficult to average killing a prairie dog every 30 seconds for 12 hours non-stop.

But IF that was the case to get to 1000 you'd have to kill a prairie dog every 43.2 seconds. That's with 100% accuracy... at best at that volume a human could possibly do is MAYBE 75%. MAYBE. But I highly doubt that. The volume is too high and if you don't have time to move to a different town or even a different place on that property you'd be shooting farther and farther out as the day goes on.

My buddies from the east part of the state would call out "hit!" when I know dang well from that dust flying up in front of the mound that that was in no way a confirmed hit.

I'm not trying to be that grumpy guy, but in trying to answer the original post, math isn't some guy's strong suit. Can 2 guys kill 1000 in a day? Probably, but to be honest. Not likely.

So back to the math. If you killed 500 prairie dogs in one day with 75% accuracy for 12 hours in a day, you'd be killing a priairie dog every 63 seconds.

Every 63 seconds on AVERAGE. So yes, right when you get to a town it's pretty easy to shoot 5-6 that' first minute, but in an hour, the shooting will slow down significantly.

Basic math is our friend. I don't want some people to think that they are failures or they have to keep looking for the prairie dog gold mine to get what most people perceive they get. Just go out and have fun. I do find more success in killing 50 dogs with a high percentage than I do 100 dogs with sub-par accuracy.

You may want to double check my math, but it pencils out for me.

#3278271 - 06/12/21 04:24 AM Re: What do you consider a good day for shooting prairie dogs? [Re: CRE10]
jsh Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Kansas U.S. of A
I have mentioned the same math as you. I won’t call many an out and out liar, but I am old enough I have heard a fair amount of BS and darn near all the fish storie.
Some get butt hurt over this subject. I have shot in enough timed events, based around accuracy and speed to have somewhat of an idea of what is honestly possible.

Lol, bang and the dog is gone does not mean a hit.

I did a fairly honest count last month on three of us. Our hit ratio was at or around 50%. We ran through about 175 rounds a day including rimfire along with moving and reloading. We all wish we had the problem of 1000 round day every other time out.

Edited by jsh (06/12/21 04:24 AM)

#3278277 - 06/12/21 09:49 AM Re: What do you consider a good day for shooting prairie dogs? [Re: Sgt_Mike]
Rustydust Offline
PM senior

Loc: Southwest Idaho
Originally Posted By: Sgt_Mike
Originally Posted By: reb8600
Originally Posted By: jsh
Any day in a dog town is a good day. That thing called work sure gets in the way of my hobbies.

Exactly. I don't worry about how many I kill. It is always nice to kill a lot but a good day is any day you can get out to do it.

thumbup1 I'll second that

And I will third that. thumbup1

A week from today I plan on being in Wyoming doing my level best to atomize some hapless prairie poodles. Got Sat-Sun to hunt one area of BLM land before moving on to a private ranch (two of them actually, both owned by the same person) to help him out with his hole digging friends. And this guy is "oh by the way I have a few coyotes too that you can shoot". Twist my arm why don't you? smile

#3278278 - 06/12/21 10:28 AM Re: What do you consider a good day for shooting prairie dogs? [Re: CRE10]
jsh Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Kansas U.S. of A
;-) we got to the point of looking for ones laying flat on a mound. The acrobatics from the hydraulic effect when a 17 or 20 caliber pill is applied just under the chin is pretty impressive.

I have some Calhoon double hollow points I am going to try in the near future.

#3278421 - 06/18/21 12:35 AM Re: What do you consider a good day for shooting prairie dogs? [Re: CRE10]
Decoyed Offline
Predator Master

Loc: Minnesota
It’s been a lot of years (20ish) since I’ve shot pds. If my memory is correct we would shoot 150-300 rds with a most times 50% hits. 300yds and less yielded great accuracy but 300-600 the averages started to go down fast. Best shoot was with an 17 hmr. Wind in my face. Shot around 400-500 rounds with about 250 kills out to 300dys. The small rifle doesn’t heat up and the sound is less so the pds stay much closer then shooting the big rifles. My # might not be great but it was awesome and I’ve learned to shoot a lot better since then. Hopefully someday I can get back out to shoot some.

#3278466 - 06/20/21 01:48 PM Re: What do you consider a good day for shooting prairie dogs? [Re: CRE10]
randy merta Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: chandler,indiana
Upon my return trip home from Montana bear hunting I stopped in Wyoming for some PD action with my Tikka 17 Remington.. A few years ago I found some property while antelope hunting that had what seemed like miles of PD towns.
I stopped there last year with my bear rifle and shot several PD in the 300-500 yard range.
This time I was armed with the 17. I had a great morning shooting while my wife called out the shots and yardage. I killed several over 400 yards with the 25 grain Hornady bullets.
I did break out my deer rifle and killed one at 634 yards. My wife said I had to put the deer rifle up and get the 17 back out.
We shot for a few hours before the wind got too sporty for the 17 so we shut down.
I just love shooting PD’s.

#3283929 - 10/21/21 09:16 AM Re: What do you consider a good day for shooting prairie dogs? [Re: jb42]
Gale Johnson Offline

Loc: Nebraska
Originally Posted By: jb42
my best day 6/20 was 961 with 5 triples and 27 doubles with 527 cz 20vt it was a very liberal dog town!

If you are from ID sounds more like a ground squirrel day (sage rats, potgut's, squeeks, etc)

#3284244 - 10/27/21 08:18 PM Re: What do you consider a good day for shooting prairie dogs? [Re: CRE10]
pyscodog Online
PM Junkie

Loc: okla
Well I guess I'm the odd man here. Never been PD shooting, never shot at one and never really had the desire to go. But if I could tag along and shoot at the coyotes coming in for a free meal....count me in.

Edited by pyscodog (10/27/21 08:18 PM)

Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution.

#3289363 - 12/30/21 11:03 AM Re: What do you consider a good day for shooting prairie dogs? [Re: CRE10]
LASER4444 Offline

Loc: North Dakota
I started shooting prairie dogs when I moved to North Dakota in 1977. I average about 7 trips a year, as the dog towns are not too far away. I've used 222, 223, 22-250, 243, 17 hmr and now the 17 WSM. A typical day I'd burn up 500 rounds of 17 WSM, and conservatively average 80% on my hits. Currently, I'm on my 4th 17 WSM(Savage, Franklin Arms, Ruger, Volquartsen). Conditions have to be fairly good with winds no stronger than 15 mph. I have a Leupold 6.5x20 mounted on all of the guns mentioned. I use a portable swiveling bench with sandbags. I also use a Leupold range finder. My longest shots are at 300 yards with the majority in the 125-175 yard range. The 20 grain pellet has plenty of knock down for PD shooting. I have also taken several coyotes with the same load/gun. Therefore, I have done my fair share of reducing the prairie dog population. As a side note, shooting prairie dogs keeps you in good shape when it comes to all the other hunting you may do.

#3292746 - 01/28/22 11:54 PM Re: What do you consider a good day for shooting prairie dogs? [Re: CRE10]
sscoyote Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: pueblo, co
shooting with guns is great but in the end i've had just as much fun shooting them with bows too.

#3293078 - 02/01/22 10:42 AM Re: What do you consider a good day for shooting prairie dogs? [Re: sscoyote]
spotstalkshoot Online
Die Hard Member III

Loc: so.mn
When I'm with other shooters, 200 rds a day is enough. Usually I plan for 2 moves, but have setup 4 times because of weather. Take a break/move for lunch which also least is setting trucks or popup for shade. I have seen shooters who run 10-12 hits out of 50 rds. I always help them, often their"zero" isn't on. I have shot clean on 50 rd boxes, but seem to be usually well into the 40's if the shooting is mainly 250 yards or less. Some areas leaving town at 8am means first shots about 10-10:30, so we shoot until 5pm. I have shot to sunset in Aug, but don't like driving pastures after dark. These are prairie dogs, would like to shoot gophers sometime with rimfires.

#3293112 - 02/01/22 02:34 PM Re: What do you consider a good day for shooting prairie dogs? [Re: CRE10]
Stugotz Offline
Predator Master

Loc: Minnesota, USA
My best day ever was when my friends AR Jammed and he became my designated spotter. His jam happened very early on the second day we were out and with him spotting constantly I must have killed over 350 P. Dogs. I offered to let him shoot my rifle but he was content just spotting for me. After a long day of shooting we went back to the motel and were able to clear the issue with his rifle. We were back at it the next day. I have never done so much shooting in one day. I always plan for LOTS of shooting and drive out west myself toting everything but the kitchen sink and LOTS of .204 Ruger and .223 ammo. You can never be to prepared in my book.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.