I feel dumb, anybody else do it?

Last night first spot. Few hundred yard walk to the spot through snow. Buddy forgot the remote in the truck. Fortunately ,kind of, this insnt the first time we’ve done something like this. Always have hand calls with.

Here's a dumb thing I did on a hunt many years back. My hunting partner brought his new AR platform along and told me how awesome it was, so I didn't even bother to chamber a round in my model 70 bolt gun. I did load the magazine but left the chamber empty even once on stand. Well, shortly after starting the caller, we had a hard charger come in close to us. I kept waiting for him to shoot. NOTHING! I looked over at him and he said, "It's jammed". By that time the coyote spotted us, I quickly worked the bolt and fired. I made a hasty hit as he ran off. There was blood but we never found him dead. So, lesson learned. ALWAYS be loaded up and ready.

I've never left anything home but have left things in the field and forgot to load the rifle a few times. Mostly I've had to go back and find my glasses. I don't need them to shoot and lay them on the ground next to me, it got to the point where I quit wearing prescription glasses and wore bifocal cheaters from Costco. So if you ever find a pair of glasses out in the field west of the Mississippi I was likely hunting there.

I forgot to load the rifle once and after the click the coyote stood there looking right at me, no way was I going to work the bolt and get a shot off. I kept hoping my BinL would shoot him. After it seemed like a long time he did and then came over and apologized for poaching one in front of me, I told him I didn't see it, that held for years until I confessed one night around the campfire.

I was calling in Montana one year, and hustling that morning to get into this one creek bottom by first light.

Got the gun out of the truck, laid it against the rear tire, then gathered up my gear & caller, threw on my pack, and beat feet.

Made it 3-400 yards before I realized my pack was a little light....son-of-a-beech, forgot to grab the gun.....

Originally Posted By: alf
I was calling in Montana one year, and hustling that morning to get into this one creek bottom by first light.

Got the gun out of the truck, laid it against the rear tire, then gathered up my gear & caller, threw on my pack, and beat feet.

Made it 3-400 yards before I realized my pack was a little light....son-of-a-beech, forgot to grab the gun.....

Forgot the gun, you have got to be kidding me
lO5EQUe.jpg

Yeah, I walked in a few hundred yards over a gnarly sand hill, got all set up and realized My rifle was still back in the RZR. Said a couple cuss words and went back and got it. The stand was a bust.

Twice forgot to chamber a round before the first stand, called a coyote both times. Got one, lost the other.

Originally Posted By: weekenderOriginally Posted By: alf

Forgot the gun, you have got to be kidding me
lO5EQUe.jpg

At least you could keep an eye on it.....
crazy.gif

I lost my best knife and found it in the woods a few months later after sitting down by a tree and saw it laying there on the ground!

I lost my cell phone way down in the woods on Public Land...had to drive back in the middle of the night and luckily found it.

The safety on the CZ Rifles are backwards...I had a Bobcat come in at last light...I flipped the safety back on and the gun didn't fire by the time I figured what happened the Cat slipped away.I was more mad at myself than anything!

I had my wallet fall out of my back pocket up in my ladder stand...heard something hit the ground and looked down at thinking I would get it when I climbed down but forgot when I walked back to the house and had to go back after dark to retrieve it.

Lost my expensive Finx flashlight on the Farm...never did find it yet!Lost my Johny Stewart feather distractor on a Lease we hunted...never did find it either.

Last edited:
Many years ago I made a bow stalk on a South Dakota mule deer buck. I was watched thru spotting scope by my hunting buddy. As I neared the end of the prairie sneak, I took my Steiner binos off, laid them in the grass. After missing a 40ish yard shot I walked out to the truck. Where my buddy asked if I was missing something, I said no easy to find the arrow stuck in the opposite bank of the draw. He said "no dumb s___ your binoculars, start walking I left the spotting scope set to the spot where you left them".

Classic picture, weekender; self explanatory.
grin.gif

I shot a deer close to last light one evening near some heavy brush. He jumped into the brush and ran 20-30 yards. My hunting buddy was helping me drag him out in the dark, leaned his rifle against a tree.

We were back at camp eating dinner after field dressing the buck when we realized he had not picked up his rifle. Fortunately it was only a couple of miles back to pick it up.

Worst think I can remember doing was dry patching the bore on my rifle and driving 55 miles to ranch to spend a couple of days calling. Just inside the gate went to load the rifle only to discover I had left the bolt on my bench. Fortunately I had a shotgun with me, but much prefer the rifle.

Regards,
hm

Yea one time went down to get jeep out to hunt and leanned rifle against wall thru bag in and drove off. Luckley I only went a couple miles out road before I realized it

Back