Day calling and maybe baiting in NW Wyoming?

Bluediver

Should I bait and call? I haven’t been hunting a few years because of a new baby and COVID coming all at the same time. I got tmw free and I’m going for it.

I’ve got a fox pro. Was thinking of grabbing a bunch of canned mackerel and wet dog food.

I dunno about the baiting side of it, and I can’t figure out if you’re meaning doing both at the same time? If it was me, I’d just get your call and get to calling. Go make some stands. Spend your day moving and putting some miles in. Good luck and be safe!

Years ago I called an area and two coyotes came in to kick some tail. Turns out there was a dead deer 200 yards over the hill. Calling near baits does work but maintaining baits is hard work.

Baiting with fish and dog food may take weeks for coyotes to get used to it. Around here Ravens, Scrub Jays and rodents wouldn't let fish and dog food lay around for very long.

Coyotes can only smell bait if they are straight down wind of it, they can hear your Foxpro 360 degrees around it and miles away from it, in some areas.

Originally Posted By: SoftpointYears ago I called an area and two coyotes came in to kick some tail. Turns out there was a dead deer 200 yards over the hill. Calling near baits does work but maintaining baits is hard work.
My experience with baiting mirrors what Softpoint wrote. I love to find a deer carcass that coyotes have been feeding on then call nearby. I also do a lot of calling in the daytime by just setting up downwind of likely coyote bedding areas and calling at first or last lite. I will call for thirty minutes then move on to another stand.

Originally Posted By: BluediverShould I bait and call? I haven’t been hunting a few years because of a new baby and COVID coming all at the same time. I got tmw free and I’m going for it.

I’ve got a fox pro. Was thinking of grabbing a bunch of canned mackerel and wet dog food.

Bud, it’s tough in this portion of the state. Trappers have hit a lot of the area in the Northern Big Horn Basin hard. You need to be prepared to REALLY get away from roads. The McCulloughs get too much traffic. Badger Basin is trapped out. I’d point you toward the mountains and foothills. It’s just tough here.

Baiting is best if you can watch it out the kitchen window. We have some left of a roadkill deer out back, coyotes have been there at 12 noon. My son just shot the 3 rd coyote off it yesterday, midday. We have to many around, trying to reduce the bold ones a bit.

Lots of birds & critters love some fresh roadkill where they can eat in peace, off the road some.

Baiting is not taking a can of mackerel and dog food out, setting it out next to the caller and calling. Effectively all that is doing is using a scent in addition to calling. It often times takes days for coyotes to find a carcass, and they are not just running into a bait site with their eyes and ears closed.
I have done a fair amount of baiting, most of it 100 yards from the house. Sometimes the roadkill carcass will sit there for a week before the coyotes hit it, sometimes when they first do find it they eat the whole carcass in one night. Baiting on public land works, but I've had many times where someone else finds my bait and then sits over it. Sitting over bait on public land is a good way to keep the coyotes off of the bait, I find it far better to stalk a bait site and choose my bait site accordingly.

Go out and call, leave the dog food at home.

Back