ONE BAD .20cal!

Austin Laughlin

So I’ve got my 204 AI, and I love that thing. It’s a screamer, and shoots lights out.

But this morning, I took advantage of buying a Rem 700 in a 22-250 with a shot out barrel.

Im sure you can prolly see where this is going.. But I can’t take it any longer. I’ve had the 20-250 bug for a couple years now. So when I found that rifle this morning I couldn’t get there fast enough to get it bought.

I may totally fail at this, but I’m hands down going to give it all I’ve got. I was just hoping someone here, has been around one or messed with one personally. My dad, Andy Laughlin, said he thought that maybe DAA had one.

My main questions are barrel length and bullet selection.

My goal is not to push big heavy bullets, Im looking at 50gr MAX bullet weight. I’d like to stay around the 40-45gr range if possible. I was thinking about a 24”-26” Lija or Shilen barrel in 1:14 or 1:16 maybe.

I’ll have the action trued and bedded. Most likely a Jewel trigger because that’s what I run in every rifle, other than I’ve real been thinking about trying out a Timney. Yadda Yadda Yadda, the rifle will get the works.

I just need some help and advice on bullet and barrel length selection.

Any help with this is greatly appreciated guys. Thanks!

Last edited:
In a 20 cal, 40 grainers I'd go no less than 1-11 twist. There is no 50 gr vmax.

Sounds like a neat project. I'd be thinking 40 gr Bib bullets.

Unless your set on one of the barrels you mentioned, PacNor makes a great barrel as well. With all new tooling in their shop it might be worth a look.

I’m not set on anything at all, I’m totally open to everything. There’s far more of you guys that have done far more than I have. I’ll take any and all recommendations.

I’ll definitely do that then, I was just rough guessing on what twist I would need with light bullets at the insane speed I’m planning on. I didn’t want the rotation making the bullet come apart obviously. I’ll take all the help I can get, so I’ll definitely do that.

And I meant 50gr max bullet weight, not as in the Vmax or Amax bullets. I seen where that sounded kind of confusing so I changed my post a little. I apologize for that.

Last edited:

Not cartridge related, but.....

I've had more than my share of big, fat, long, heavy barrels.....

On a packing, carrying, hunting, calling gun, anymore, I refuse to build with anything bigger than a regular #3 sporter contour barrel, & 24" max length, with 22-23" preferred.

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeWhat will a 20-250 do that a 204 AI won't do ?
Cut barrel life in half?
grin.gif

I had a 20-250 built on a trued SA Rem 700 a couple years ago but I only ever intended to shoot the Berger 55's so mine wears a Krieger 8tw finished at 26. I'm using necked down Lapua 22-250 brass and RL16 with those Berger 55's and it shoots them really well.

If you only plan to shoot 40-45gr bullets at the heaviest a 10tw is what I'd put on it.

As for powders, if velocity and shooting those bullets extremely fast is what you are after RL17 is likely going to be you best bet on powder. RL16 will work well too and be more temp stable but it won't produce quite the same velocity RL17 will.

It sounds like you're already aware but these things are pretty overbore so barrel life isn't going to be very long. I'm hoping for around 600 rnds before the throat in mine is toast. I don't think anyone ever really builds a 20-250 with barrel life in mind though.

FWIW, if you just have a desire to build a 20-250 by all means go for it. I think they're a bit of a specialized gun and keep in mind you can shoot a 40gr Vmax from a 22-250 faster than you can a 40gr from a 20-250. I know the BC of the 20 cal 40Vmax is slightly better but with the extra speed of the 22 cal 40Vmax the ballistics even out not to mention a 22-250 is more versatile. Just food for thought.

As for triggers, if you are used to a Jewell, well, IMO nothing quite feels as good but they are more delicate than others. TriggerTech triggers makes a really nice trigger and is a bit more robust and not quite as sensitive to being dirty.

Last edited:
You guys are awesome! I appreciate all the replies and the help, it sure means a lot. Especially on my barrel twist, I was way off.

DAA, I talked to my ole man and Jason Thee and they told me about the write up, I’ve read it over about 3x already today. I learned a lot and I mean fast. Seems like we had about the same goals.

My uncle shoots a 20BR and it’s a screamer, and is a serious shooter, bug holes like I’ve never seen. He’s trying to talk me into going that route instead.. BUT.. As far as I can tell, it’ll have to be built as a single shot rifle, because it won’t feed. And that’s not something I want in a calling rifle.

I’ve looked at the 20VT, 20 Practical, BR, all of them. I don’t really know why I’m so set on this 20-250 but I just can’t help it. I shot a 22-243 for awhile and it was a real animal, and wished I never sold it. But I have been just obsessed with the 20-250 for a long while.

I’m well aware of the short barrel life, I don’t at all expect it to live long. But if it lives even 400 rounds, say 100 for shooting, that leaves 300 dead coyotes if I shoot 100% in a perfect world LOL That’s plenty for me.

I also totally get the 40gr 22-250 vs the 40gr 20-250. I absolutely understand that for sure. I just don’t really have any need for the .22 since I’ve got my swift built. Probably still doesn’t make sense since I’ve got my 204AI too.. lol but it’s just what I want. Im still pondering about it, but I think Im gonna do it.

Unless y’all say there’s a better route to go out of this donor rifle. I’m pretty set on the 20-250, no doubt. But if there’s another screamer .20 out there that I’m missing, I’m all ears.

Slick feeding without any fuss or mods was one of my reasons for settling on the .20-250.

You can get the BR cases to feed, but it's money and hassle.

For just plain screaming, my .20 Dasher is one. But it's a long, heavy barrel, single shot, colony varmint rig. It screams like crazy though.

Mongrel Dasher Build

That whole project started with Blaine Eddy calling me one morning. Your old man ought to get a kick out of that.

- DAA

Originally Posted By: Austin LaughlinUnless y’all say there’s a better route to go out of this donor rifle. I’m pretty set on the 20-250, no doubt. But if there’s another screamer .20 out there that I’m missing, I’m all ears.

The only other one I'd consider would be a 20x47 Lapua. In theory, I think the 6.5x47 Lapua is a little better case design than the 22-250 and the 47 Lapua may have a tiny bit more case capacity but it'll require more work with regard to brass prep and depending on the reamer you may need to neck turn but if I went with a 20-47 Lapua build I'd make sure and get/use a no turn reamer so it had enough neck clearance and you wouldn't have to neck turn. I think they call the 20x47's a 20 Satan so they have a catchier name too.
smile.gif

Exactly. I’d go the BR route in a hurry, but I want one that feeds easily.

If you had to do it over again DAA, would you still go the 20-250 route? Or is there any other route you’d take these days?

What I would GIVE to get my hands on that 14 Pred or that 17 Athena he had. I’ve still got a dummy round of each that he gave me.

Last edited:
Whoaaaaa… You’re onto something. I’m intrigued. I never even thought about the 20x47. I owned the 6 for awhile and I loved that round.

You know anybody or have you yourself dealt with it? That’s got my attention big time.

Originally Posted By: Austin LaughlinWhoaaaaa… You’re onto something. I’m intrigued. I never even thought about the 20x47. I owned the 6 for awhile and I loved that round.

You know anybody or have you yourself dealt with it? That’s got my attention big time.

Sorry, I have no hands on with one all I know about it is what I've read. In theory I think it's a better case design and the only downside that I could see would be making sure I got the appropriate reamer for neck clearance or possibly having to neck turn. Neck turning isn't the worst thing I've ever done and I'd bet 200 pcs of 6.5x47 Lapua brass would easily outlast the barrel, heck, with the way Lapua brass holds up 100pcs would last the life of a barrel.

Back