Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#3292125 - 01/24/22 11:41 AM Re: Trimming cases...... [Re: DANNY-L]
Plant.One Offline
Die Hard Member with a vengeance

Loc: Oakland County, MI
Originally Posted By: DANNY-L
This works great and fast. I trimmed 100 270wsm in 17 minutes the first time using.

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/1020728567?pid=258707

and just like the WFT setup... you still have to debur and chamfer afterward.

the lee trimmer will do the same # of cases in about 2/3 the time and you're already chamfer and deburred too.

not knocking the lyman setup, just that its a one trick pony, like most of the trimmers out there.

#3292586 - 01/28/22 02:15 AM Re: Trimming cases...... [Re: pyscodog]
Three 44s Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: Washington St.
Lyman Universal with a carbide cutter for heavier cuts and cartridges that I do not have the Wilson collet for yet.

The Wilson trimmer for finish work.

I bevel the inside flash holes so I need an accurate case length to get consistent debuts there.

In mostly bolt gun shooting, cases are neck sized (Lee Collet die) and they grow rather slowly. It is a long time before I have to trim again!

Three 44s

#3292623 - 01/28/22 11:12 AM Re: Trimming cases...... [Re: Three 44s]
SlickerThanSnot Offline
PM senior

Loc: stuck in a fence
Originally Posted By: Three 44s

In mostly bolt gun shooting, cases are neck sized (Lee Collet die) and they grow rather slowly. It is a long time before I have to trim again!

like was mentioned, new primers will fall in and out before the case needs trimmed.

that is throwing the books out and knowing how long the case can actually be before it needs trimmed. i guess if you dont know that, you probably should trim. lol

#3292625 - 01/28/22 11:23 AM Re: Trimming cases...... [Re: pyscodog]
204 AR Offline
PM senior

Loc: Nebraska
I can agree most chambers are long enough to let the cases grow above max. My bore cam tells me that by the carbon ring left in front of the case mouth.

I will ask this, and have always wondered but never spent the time/components to test. Does/can varying case lengths affect accuracy at all? Say they vary 10 thou from minimum to maximum book length. I would think it could, but haven't done anything to prove it one way or the other.

#3292661 - 01/28/22 03:07 PM Re: Trimming cases...... [Re: 204 AR]
SlickerThanSnot Offline
PM senior

Loc: stuck in a fence
Originally Posted By: 204 AR
Does/can varying case lengths affect accuracy at all? Say they vary 10 thou from minimum to maximum book length. I would think it could, but haven't done anything to prove it one way or the other.

not enough to get worked up over. not even a little.

#3292663 - 01/28/22 03:19 PM Re: Trimming cases...... [Re: pyscodog]
Plant.One Offline
Die Hard Member with a vengeance

Loc: Oakland County, MI
as noted further up in the thread... if you crimp.. having a consistent case length is going to be critical to getting a consistent crimp on said loads. so while there's validity to the fact that many cases can probably do without it, there are specific cases where trimming really makes sense and is almost manditory.

such is the fun of reloading though - we can cater our process to suit our individual needs for each of our very unique firearms smile

#3292834 - 01/29/22 05:56 PM Re: Trimming cases...... [Re: SlickerThanSnot]
Three 44s Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: Washington St.
Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnot
Originally Posted By: 204 AR
Does/can varying case lengths affect accuracy at all? Say they vary 10 thou from minimum to maximum book length. I would think it could, but haven't done anything to prove it one way or the other.

not enough to get worked up over. not even a little.

Same with annealing, nothing to get “worked up about”?

What’s a long, short or brittle neck between shots?

Three 44s

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Matt1953 

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.