Brass deformities

Smokin Gun

Hey all, I trimmed and reloaded some Winchester 22-250 brass last night. Once I got it loaded with some 53 grain V-max, I noticed some indentions all the way around the shoulder of the brass. They are once fired by me. It looks like the dents were created by a tool or a rifle chamber. Does anyone have any thoughts on what could cause this? They chamber fine in my rifle, but I don’t like the look of it. If someone can tell me how to share a picture on here, I’ll share what it looks like. Thanks for the help!

Yeah it happens to me sometimes, with some cases in certain dies. Sometimes I'll give the shoulders a quick wipe with a rag before sizing if it's causing dents.

Well I found it odd that it only did it on about 5 of them. I wonder if they were the cases in the front of my block when I sprayed them.

I call them grease dents. I haven't run into that problem since switching to a lanolin and alcohol mix.
Also make sure the vent hole on the die is clear. Not sure why as it always seems to be where my lock ring sits when my die is adjusted.

I get shoulder dents once in a while to. If and when I do, I take my die apart and give it a good cleaning. To much lube or a tiny piece of gunk can cause a nice dent in a shoulder as well. I use One Shot spay for most of my cases. Usually don't have much trouble.

i didnt realize it was possible to overlube with One SHot enough to cause dents like that.

you must have really gotten silly with the stuff.

its one of the reasons i switched over, way to easy to overdo with lanolin mixes and encounter that, but with one shot... not so much.

were they new dies? or old dies that had been previously used with another lube?

Possible to use to much with the One Shot paste but doubtful with the spray. I dented four cases last night but when I took my die apart, there was a small chunk of something in the die. Cleaned the die and the dents went away.

ahhh well sh!t another add on to the "one shot" line to make it more confusing.

i wish they would have just left well enough alone when they only had one shot case lube and one shot gun cleaner. that was confusing enough.

now they have the unique paste and the one shot sizing wax too.

ugh. stupid.

The paste has been around a long time. I use to use Imperial but had to order it. The One Shot paste was sold local so I tried it and it works just as good. Then I tried the spray and like it even better.

yup. big fan of the spray. simplicity, easy of use, and cost per case to use. i lube several thousand cases with each can. last i recall tracking it was somewhere between 3500-4500 cases per can of the stuff.

toss a bunch in a plastic shoebox that's my "lube box", spray the living daylights out of them, shake, spray some more, shake, spray some more, let dry for 5 mins... and dump em in the case feeder! time to start pulling the handle!

one thing i will mention though - learn from my mistake on this one! - ANNEAL before you apply your case lube!

OMFG the smell, nasty! i had my annealer in front of the window with an exhaust fan going (like i always do) and i had to stop after about 100 cases, put the rest thru the tumbler to de-lube them, and then come back to anneal. I had a bunch of cases (probably 5 ziplock bags) i had pre-lubed and hadnt sized yet when i got my annealer, and was going crazy playing with it... boy did i learn a hard lesson fast!

Its amazing how long a can of it lasts. I like the larger size can and it last a long time. I may regret saying anything but can't say I've stuck a case using it, at least not lately anyway. It works good for a release agent when bedding an action too.

You need to clean the die before sizing, no matter what lube is used especially if a different lube was used before One Shot case lube. If pad/finger lubing cases don't lube shoulders. I bag and spray one shot and allow to dry out of the bag and have not had shoulder denting. I clean die with One shot cleaner/lube and dry.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pyscodogIts amazing how long a can of it lasts. I like the larger size can and it last a long time. I may regret saying anything but can't say I've stuck a case using it, at least not lately anyway. It works good for a release agent when bedding an action too.

i managed to stick exactly one case, partly, when using it.

user error.. i didnt wait for it to completely dry. first one went in/out rough, sent the 2nd home and she stuckered. uh oh.. *pucker factor +5*
scared.gif

managed to get it out without having to pull the collet and put a rod in, but it properly fubar'ed the case rim doing so.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI get shoulder dents once in a while to. If and when I do, I take my die apart and give it a good cleaning. To much lube or a tiny piece of gunk can cause a nice dent in a shoulder as well. I use One Shot spay for most of my cases. Usually don't have much trouble.

Right there! Except I use the Hornady Unique in a tub for lube.

Also make sure the vent hole (if your die has one) is clear. That is in the area of the shoulder so it surfaces outside the die in the threads. It’s small and a fine piece of wire will be needed to clear it. It might be under the lock ring if you have trouble finding it.

Best regards

Three 44s

Last edited:
Back