22-250, 204 or something else?

Hmmmm....

I guess I've been doing things wrong all this time.
Poor animals being killed with under powered bullets.

whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: Austin LaughlinI guess I see what you’re saying, to an extent. But I do know for an absolute fact, without a doubt, that my 204 drifts less than my 223 AI, and my 220 Swift, at 400.

A buddy of mine, DAA knows him well, Jason Thee from NE. Used to hunt with my dad with the Coyote Gods. We used to go up there 2 or 3 times a year and shoot PD. My Swift, his 22-250, and my dads 223 AI, all drifted more at 400 than my 204 AI did. . And I have more people that seen it as well.

Shooting PD’s at 300-450 yards, with a 5-10mph cross wind, my hold over was MUCH less than theirs. That’s a 40gr Nosler in my 204 AI.

-55gr in the 22-250
-50gr in the 220 Swift
-53gr in the 223 AI

My 243 AI and the 6x47 I had, was still more hold over and both of those were/are 69gr.

I’m not at all telling you what you “don’t know”. And I hope it doesn’t come off that way whatsoever. Because that’s not my intentions.

My 223 AI shooting a 40gr at 4000, drops much more than my 204 AI shooting the same bullet at almost identical speeds.

My 204 AI with the 40gr af 4000, without a doubt drifts less at 300-500 yards than my 223 AI, my swift, and my 243 AI.

Well, yeah, of course a 40 gr 204 will drift less than a 40 gr 224 started at the same speed. It's not magic, its speed + bc that determines drop and drift. That goes for any comparison, it's not a weight issue, it's speed combined with bc.

Originally Posted By: Austin LaughlinI understand that. I know it’s kind of “stating the obvious”. But the whole “heavier bucks the wind better” isn’t the case.

Form factor being the same, heavier for caliber buck the wind better. That's what most are meaning when they say that.

I shoot a fair amount of 204, and always used the 32's above 4k at pdogs. Without a doubt, the 40's at 3800 buck the wind better and catch the 32s in drop before 200 yds. That's the type of comparison most are making when they say heavier bucks the wind better.

I've also shot a lot of 243 over the years. 58's at 3800 have their place for sure, in fact I'm working on a rifle to do that right now. But for wind bucking, 87 vmax at 3100 clean the floor with them.

I under what you’re saying. I do. But that’s still not what I’m getting at either.

A guy from around here shot a 1200yd completion, with a 7mm Mag. 130gr match bullet. Drifted less than a 150 and a 180gr.

My 300 Win mag, shooting 150gr Noslers, drifts far less at 700 then a 180gr AB or ELD.

My 243 AI shooting 69gr Noslers, drifts much less at 400-450 then a 100gr.

Same for my 200 Swift. Same for my 204.

I’m not talking about caliber differences persay. I just used those as examples because of the previous post.

Comparing one caliber to another, or comparing different bullet weights in the same caliber, either way… Heavier bullet weight, bucking the wind better, isn’t always the case. Like you said - Speed + B.C -

I can post a link that’s a really good read, if you want to get into crazy detail with it.

Originally Posted By: Austin LaughlinI under what you’re saying. I do. But that’s still not what I’m getting at either.

A guy from around here shot a 1200yd completion, with a 7mm Mag. 130gr match bullet. Drifted less than a 150 and a 180gr.

My 300 Win mag, shooting 150gr Noslers, drifts far less at 700 then a 180gr AB or ELD.

My 243 AI shooting 69gr Noslers, drifts much less at 400-450 then a 100gr.

Same for my 200 Swift. Same for my 204.

I’m not talking about caliber differences persay. I just used those as examples because of the previous post.

Comparing one caliber to another, or comparing different bullet weights in the same caliber, either way… Heavier bullet weight, bucking the wind better, isn’t always the case. Like you said - Speed + B.C -

I can post a link that’s a really good read, if you want to get into crazy detail with it.

So all the heavy for caliber high BC bullet shooting guys are wrong ?
Interesting...

Your sarcasm is definitely unnecessary. I never once said anyone was wrong, or never claimed that I know more than anyone.

Try again hot shot.

I can slow it down for you if you’d like?

Last edited:
Bobby Love out of Jefferson City MO

He shot a couple records with what is now the 224 Texas Trophy Hunter.

Also with a Deuce 35.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Austin LaughlinYour sarcasm is definitely unnecessary. I never once said anyone was wrong, or never claimed that I know more than anyone.

Try again hot shot.

Yep please type slower... I don't read real fast.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Austin LaughlinYour sarcasm is definitely unnecessary. I never once said anyone was wrong, or never claimed that I know more than anyone.

Try again hot shot.

What I'm getting at is...

All the reading I've done that last few years from guys that shoot and shoot a lot. Heavy bullets with good BC will trump lighter faster bullets at longer range.

Is this incorrect ?

I never said it was. Not once.

All I said, was mathematically, yes. That’s correct.

By physics, and real world shooting, my own and a ton of others experience isn’t that way.

It doesn’t matter if it’s caliber to caliber, or different calibers.

A 130gr out of a 7mm Mag is obviously lighter, and faster than my 300 win mag with a 150gr… 7mm drifts way less.

My 243 AI, with 69gr Nosler is faster and lighter than my 90-100gr loads… 69gr drifts less.

I had a target at 408 yards. My 204 AI with 40gr and my Uncles 20BR with 32gr….

We had a 10-11pm cross wind coming out of the west, blowing straight left to right. The rock I picked out on the left side of the target was where I held and was slapping the target. His 20BR, just on the edge of the target was his hold. Lighter bullet, little more velocity, less drift.

So you tell me.

Cartridge or caliber don't mean squat, it's all about the bullet.....

Compare any two bullets of any caliber, with identical BC's, at identical velocities, will drop & drift the same amount.

So you think if a 26cal and a 28cal has the same bullet weight and type, and same speed, they’d drop and drift the same huh..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Austin LaughlinSo you think if a 26cal and a 28cal has the same bullet weight and type, and same speed, they’d drop and drift the same huh..
Re-read what I wrote......

No, he's saying if they had the same bullet BC and speed, they'd drop/drift the same. He said nothing about weight.

Back