Best 22 cal bullet for saving hides

My most epic bullet splash......

210 yards, quartering to me, 22-250 Ackley, 75 Amax at 3500.

At the shot, the coyote took off like a raped ape.....WTH?

He made it about 100 yards where he crawled under a downed tree, still breathing his last 30 minutes later.

UPe669D.jpg

Hunting bullets cant bounce off bones. Theres many better options than soft and weak bullets, I shot vmax and 52 berger HPs for years and gave the same hand loads for my two buddies to shoot in our matching ARs.

I didnt get my head out of the varmint bullet hole until I accidentally only had 65gr SGKs and I never looked back. Varmint bullets are a handicap to any rifle.

Originally Posted By: alf
My most epic bullet splash......

210 yards, quartering to me, 22-250 Ackley, 75 Amax at 3500.

At the shot, the coyote took off like a raped ape.....WTH?

He made it about 100 yards where he crawled under a downed tree, still breathing his last 30 minutes later.

UPe669D.jpg

Appears to be a bad shot, to me. Barely raking the flesh at a steep angle. If that's what happened, the result would have been the same with just about any bullet or any cartridge. That's what it looks like anyways.

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOG
Appears to be a bad shot, to me. Barely raking the flesh at a steep angle. If that's what happened, the result would have been the same with just about any bullet or any cartridge. That's what it looks like anyways.
It was not a bad shot.

I hit him just where I was aiming, the angle was not that severe to aim ahead of the shoulder.

I still beg to differ on “handicap to any rifle”.

My Nosler BTs, I can shoot a coyote with my AI and my Swift both.. No exit, tiny entry.

I can turn around and shoot a deer with the same bullet, No exit. Insides turned to soup on both.

My 220 Swift, I shoot factory Federals with the 40gr Nosler BT.. I’ve shot both those animals, multiple times, on the same day, and never had a problem. So I guess I don’t see it.

I don’t care if you shoot a 17rem, or a 223, or 300 win mag.. sooner or later you ARE going to blow a hole in something. It just happens. That doesn’t mean they’re “garbage”

I have taken 467 coyote in the last 4 years and the bullet that I have found to work best in 22 cal. has been the 55 gr. Sierra Gameking, I have tried the 55 Nosler BT and V max and they do not kill as good or as fur friendly as the Gameking.

Originally Posted By: Randy BuddeI have taken 467 coyote in the last 4 years and the bullet that I have found to work best in 22 cal. has been the 55 gr. Sierra Gameking, I have tried the 55 Nosler BT and V max and they do not kill as good or as fur friendly as the Gameking.

Not meaning this in any negative way, but how do you keep track that exactly? I can barely remember a number for this year, and couldn't tell you how many last year.

Dang impressive btw!

I've gotten to where I'd rather shoot 55 grain softpoints over just about anything for coyotes. I've had problems killing coyotes in the past that were running straight away. Softpoints will penetrate into vitals better at that angle. One of the last coyotes I shot was quartered to me and I hit him behind the shoulder. The bullet exited its belly and hit its right rear leg.

They exit a lot of the time and you'll occasionally hit one in the shoulder and blow a huge chunk out of it (splash) but I don't lose one but every so often due to that. Hitting them high in the shoulder can cause that to happen. I shot over 50 coyotes in 2021 with my .223 using a 55 grain softpoint and lost 0 and only had to shoot a few more than once. Shot a few with the same bullet in my 22-250 and again lost none. I'd rather stitch up a pelt than lose one.

Exactly! Congrats on the kills! My 50-55gr haven’t let me down yet. Noslers or Hornadys. DRT. If I have one run off, or blow a hole, it’s my fault. Things just happen. But I’ve never lost a single coyote shooting those, not one.

Originally Posted By: Randy BuddeI have taken 467 coyote in the last 4 years and the bullet that I have found to work best in 22 cal. has been the 55 gr. Sierra Gameking, I have tried the 55 Nosler BT and V max and they do not kill as good or as fur friendly as the Gameking.

That's a pile of coyotes !
Not all from Michigan ,I'm sure .

You keep a journal ?

My Uncle keeps a list of kills from year to year. What it was, where it was ,what day it was , who shot it.

55 gr SX in .223 and the 55 Gr Ballistic tip in .22-250

The 55 gr Game King in the 22-250 was the safest on blow ups but slightly on the mild side for my taste.

Three 44s

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeFor a .223 fur bullet that you can bore holes in and out with little damage, Barnes 62 gr TSX.

Except that results in two holes. My furbuyer complained about 22 caliber entrance holes. Any exit is going to be that big or bigger.

I guess that is one of the downfalls of not putting up your fur. Or selling to a fur buyer that packs a micrometer.

"Not meaning this in any negative way, but how do you keep track that exactly? I can barely remember a number for this year, and couldn't tell you how many last year." .
Every time I get a coyote I put it on the calendar with where I got it, I keep all the calendars together so I can compare from year to year. Also I put pictures and video's on my Facebook page so I can prove my Kills.

Last edited:
Quote:[/quote]"That's a pile of coyotes !
Not all from Michigan ,I'm sure .

You keep a journal ?"

My Uncle keeps a list of kills from year to year. What it was, where it was ,what day it was , who shot it."
Thanks Tim, Yes all from Michigan, I write each one on a calendar on the day and who's property I got them on and keep the calendars from year to year so I can see where I got them from year to year. Also if any one wants to watch my Video's of the kills you can go to my Facebook page and watch the video's.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 6724Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeFor a .223 fur bullet that you can bore holes in and out with little damage, Barnes 62 gr TSX.

Except that results in two holes. My furbuyer complained about 22 caliber entrance holes. Any exit is going to be that big or bigger.

Only coyotes I skin here anymore are for sending off to tan and make wall hangers. Other than that,not worth skinning.

Your fur buyer would hate my shotgun coyotes then..haha

Like many other tasks per region, "saving hides " Could mean many things.

Back