22-250, 204 or something else?

Rex Nutria

I have been thinking of getting a high velocity 20 caliber round such as 22-250 or 204 Ruger, just because I have not tried any of these type of cartridges. As a reloader, I have worked up 30 caliber rounds, like 300 Savage and 30-06 for my deer rifles and a lot of pistol cartridges, so when components are available, I could reload for them. But what should I consider with 22-250 vs. 204? Or should I go with something else, such as .223. But I do like the idea of shooting something around 4k fps. For a minute I thought about maybe a 17 Hornet, but not really sure about those 17s.

Depends on how far you're wanting to shoot. If not over 300 yards I'd get a .223 but I'd choose a 22-250 or a .243 over a .204. Also depends on if you're saving fur. If you're not I'd choose the .243 over the 22-250 for the simple fact that you can shoot heavier bullets or if you choose you can shoot light 58 grain bullets that are zippin out of there pretty dang fast.

Last edited:
Of the ones you listed, 223 would be my last choice. But it’s like vanilla, its nothing real special, but works most of the time. 17 hornet would probably be best for fox, worst for wind. All depends on what you want to do with it. 204 is pretty wicked. 22-250 has been long proven. Can’t go wrong with any of them really.

Components will favor a 223 the most 22-250 second, and 204 last. Finding loaded ammo the ranking will be the same.

As to which one you should get, a good argument could be made with regard to all three. Most economical 223, most versatile and will achieve your 4K fps with a wider variety of bullets would be the 22-250 and the 204 Ruger kind of fills the gaps the others don't.

Unless you plan to have one built in the market we're currently in I'd say get whichever one you can get first as well as ammo/components to feed it with.

If I had to choose, prolly the 204. As much as I absolutely love the 223 round, especially Improved.. The 204 has Less wind drift. Great B.C. Stupid flat, and wild fast.

My first calling rifle was a 223. I’ve still got it. It’s Ackley Improved, and it really makes the 223 shine. People can dog it all they want too, but my AI with 53gr Hornadys has bang-flopped-dead more coyotes than any of my other rifles put together. I’ve killed them at 20 and I’ve killed them at 505, DRT. I always said if I only had to have one, it’d be my 223 AI.. But…

The 204 does the same thing, just that much better. If you want to save fur, and really knock the snot out of one, it’ll do both. Fast, Flat, and Accurate.. And the 204 is all 3!

Last edited:
I have thought of getting a Winchester Featherweight in 22-250, just really like the look of that light weight rifle. A .243 is also interesting, but that is a larger case, and I was thinking of a round that would use less powder. I am in the suburbs outside Baltimore, so we have plenty of varmints, if you know what I mean. But not much space to cut loose with a centerfire rifle!

Real world all the cartridges you mentioned will have to be loaded with light for cartridge bullets to hit 4k velocities(especially in sporter/hunting length barrels). The 204 will be easiest to see hits with, 223 cheapest to feed, 22-250 most muscle(highest maintenance cost, shortest barrel life).

Originally Posted By: B23Components will favor a 223 the most 22-250 second, and 204 last. Finding loaded ammo the ranking will be the same.

As to which one you should get, a good argument could be made with regard to all three. Most economical 223, most versatile and will achieve your 4K fps with a wider variety of bullets would be the 22-250 and the 204 Ruger kind of fills the gaps the others don't.

Unless you plan to have one built in the market we're currently in I'd say get whichever one you can get first as well as ammo/components to feed it with.

This probably makes the most sense.

Originally Posted By: Rex NutriaI have thought of getting a Winchester Featherweight in 22-250, just really like the look of that light weight rifle. A .243 is also interesting, but that is a larger case, and I was thinking of a round that would use less powder. I am in the suburbs outside Baltimore, so we have plenty of varmints, if you know what I mean. But not much space to cut loose with a centerfire rifle!

My choice would be based off of what I call in most where I hunt. Foxes,bobcats or coyotes and how much damage I want to do to them. How far I'm shooting,day or night calling,etc.

If I was calling in mostly foxes with the occasional coyote or bobcat thrown in there I'd most likely choose a .17 of some sort. Which one would depend on the distance I shoot most often. If I wasn't worried about saving fur I'd bump it up to a .223 if I wasn't shooting long distances.

If I was primarily huntin at night I'd choose a .224Valkyrie for saving fur, 6mm ARC if I wasn't and it'd be in an AR platform because of lower recoil and quick follow up shots especially if I was primarily calling in foxes. Not only that but they're both known to be flat shooting cartridges which is helpful at night. Especially hunting with a light because distance can be deceiving under those conditions.

Last edited:
Strange to me, but when it comes to killing coyotes a 223 doesn't get the job done. This has been argued a million + times. I'd be willing to bet that there have been more coyotes killed with a 223 than any cartridge on the planet.

But of the three choices and I could only pick one. It would probably be the 22-250. With the right twist barrel you can get speed, distance and moderate barrel life. It might cost a little more to reload because it uses more powder. Ackley Improve it and get a boost in velocity and longer brass life but it will shorten the barrel life a little. In the long run, its not so much what caliber and bullet you use as where you put the bullet. Bullet placement is what matters the most.

Before I hit the submit button I scrolled back up and read the OP's second post where he says he lives in the suburbs and not much room to cut loose with a center fire. If that's the case, get a 12 gauge shotgun.

I think in a 20 caliber, I'd have to choose a .22-250 over a .204, or a .223. I think you can find ammo and components a bit easier for the .22-250, and it is a much better coyote killer than a .223.
I've been calling coyotes for about the past twenty five years, and have used rifles in .22-250, 223, and .243 Winchester, as well as a 6.8 SPC AR. Of all of them, I found the .243 Winchester to be the best pure coyote killer of them all. With that said, I think the .22-250 stands right there beside it. Compared to a .223, the two of them are head and shoulders above. I think the 6.8 SPC at under 150 yards is also a great coyote killer, if you want to use an AR platform carbine, it's nearly perfect.
Trouble is the .223 is a much better choice if your going to be encountering fox or bob cats, which I seldom do. Also the .223 in an AR is just too convenient and all around fine. As much as I like my .243's, .22-250's and my 6.8, I seem to gravitate back to those 5.56 AR's. It's so nice having a handy carbine, that the snow, or the rain has zero effect on. If I drop it in the mud, so what. They're just a natural born hunting tool. And if a fox comes along it won't cut it into two pieces. Also having a lifetime supply of brass for the 5.56 is a good thing. When I lose a case in the weeds I don't find myself rooting around in the grass looking for it.
Now.. Just last week I got a reminder of both shortcomings of using a 5.56 AR platform carbine for hunting coyotes. Fist was I'd set up along the edge of a gravel pit to try calling a coyote out of the brushy edge. Off to my left was an open 200 acre cornfield. After setting my Foxpro in the stalks and getting sat down against a tree, I see a black spot moving in the cornfield about 600 yards out. I crank my 3.5 - 10 scope up and see its a coyote standing out in the stalks. My .22-250, or one of my .243's whould have been a much better rifle to have along than the AR. I didn't even take a poke at that coyote. Just watched him walk over the ridge out there. A few days later I was set up in a fencerow calling to a wood lot 200 yards across a bean stubble field. I was watching upwind toward the woods when I noticed a coyote had somehow trotted in to my left, and was standing in the open field at about 120 yards. I sent a 55 grain HP into her shoulder that just put her in a spin. I sent out a second shot that took her front legs out from under her. Now she's down in the front and lets out a long howl. I send another 55 grainer up her backside and put her on the ground, and shut her up. I let her lay there while I call another ten minutes or so. When I walk up to her she growls and barks at me when I'm about ten feet away. I had to use my finish pistol on her. I only seem to have this happen when I'm shooting a .223. If I hit them in the shoulder it just won't penetrate like a .22-250 or a .243, or 6.8 for that matter. A .22-250 using the exact same bullet just has the energy to drive that bullet right on into a coyotes shoulder, where the .223 will stop, and put the coyote in a spin. If you can only have one.. Get yourself a .22-250.

The 22-250 has been a proven coyote killer for years. The .243 is a better all-around cartridge for deer and bigger game. There are tons of bullets in the .224 and .243 but I just never found one that I fell in love with on the 6mm/243 that was fur friendly along with DRTs. I have always had good luck with Berger Target Match bullets. After temporarily shelving, the 22-250 for some other wildcat cartridges, I came back to it about 4 years ago. I now have a bolt chambered in 22-250 and an AR10 in 22-250. I have lots of other coyote calibers and have used .17 Rem,.204, .223 and many more, but in the end, to me the 22-250 will always be king for coyotes. Yes, the .223 is much cheaper to reload but I would rather have more range, better knock-down, and recover more coyotes than save a little on ammo. I know fur prices are down this year, but it is still good to have a gun that doesn't tear a coyote apart for when you want to save some pelts or later when prices rebound.

I would like to try a 22-250 some time. But comparing velocity, it should only gain maybe 100 yds on a 223? I guess with equal barrel length. So my question is how is 223 weak at 120 yds, but 22-250 with the same bullet a killer at 350? FYI 243 is my current favorite but I don't kill near the numbers you guys do.

Last edited:
204 I think in my case it's the difference in the .223 from a 16" barrel at 3050 FPS, vs the .22-250 at 3550 FPS from the 22" barrel of my Remington 700. Five hundred FPS is enough to make for a very notable difference in the final outcome. I load both cartridges with 55 grain Sierra Game King HP's. I don't load my AR's as hot as bolt action loading data allows for a bolt rifle. I also don't load my .22-250 ammo to maximum velocity either. Other's MMV..

Yeah that's a big difference, a quick look on strelok shows the 22-250 has roughly a 125 yd head start, at that point it's about the same as the shorty 223 is at the muzzle. I'm sure that's a big part of people's issues and how the comparison is tilted so far to the bigger cartridge.

Someone shooting a 24-26" 223 bolt gun loaded up to max would shorten the head start of the 22-250 by a fair amount.

Originally Posted By: 204 ARI would like to try a 22-250 some time. But comparing velocity, it should only gain maybe 100 yds on a 223? I guess with equal barrel length. So my question is how is 223 weak at 120 yds, but 22-250 with the same bullet a killer at 350? FYI 243 is my current favorite but I don't kill near the numbers you guys do.

The .243 has more impressive ballistics. My brother shoots an 87 grain V-Max out of his or a 90 grain softpoint. Does really well putting coyotes down and not tearing up fur. One of my buddies shoots a 58 grain V-Max out of his. It's not so fur friendly but that don't go nowhere. I'd rather shoot a heavier bullet to buck the wind better myself. Both will kill a coyote stone dead.

I like my 22-250 just fine although I shoot my .223 more. If you compare ballistics between the two the 22-250 is basically doing at 400 yards what a .223 is at 300. Pretty close anyway.

This may sound ridiculous to some people.. and I may get smoked for this comment lol..

The “heavier bullet bucking the wind better” I can see the theory. But I’m science, and I’m reality, I don’t see that being the case.

A 32gr or 40gr bullet going 4000+ would “buck the wind” better than a 60,70,80gr bullet. Less surface area, less drag. And speed, speed plays a huge roll for me. The faster it gets there, the less time it’s in the air, which means the less time it has to be effected by the wind.

I dunno if that makes a lick of sense to anyone. But I’ve shot thousands of rounds, with people like my gunsmith, who’s broke multiple world records.. and he lives, eats, sleeps, and breathes LR and ELR shooting.

A bullet going 4000fps is going to get to the target faster than a bullet going 3500. That’s a given. Which means it’s in the air less time, and means it has less time for air to effect it.

My 204 shooting 10gr less bullet weight, doesn’t drift NEAR as far, as my 223. Or even my 220 swift for that matter.

Originally Posted By: Austin LaughlinThis may sound ridiculous to some people.. and I may get smoked for this comment lol..

The “heavier bullet bucking the wind better” I can see the theory. But I’m science, and I’m reality, I don’t see that being the case.

A 32gr or 40gr bullet going 4000+ would “buck the wind” better than a 60,70,80gr bullet. Less surface area, less drag. And speed, speed plays a huge roll for me. The faster it gets there, the less time it’s in the air, which means the less time it has to be effected by the wind.

I dunno if that makes a lick of sense to anyone. But I’ve shot thousands of rounds, with people like my gunsmith, who’s broke multiple world records.. and he lives, eats, sleeps, and breathes LR and ELR shooting.

A bullet going 4000fps is going to get to the target faster than a bullet going 3500. That’s a given. Which means it’s in the air less time, and means it has less time for air to effect it.

My 204 shooting 10gr less bullet weight, doesn’t drift NEAR as far, as my 223. Or even my 220 swift for that matter.

Your theory really only applies in either extreme differences of bullet BC and or relatively shorter distances. When you start getting beyond around 400 yards it starts favoring the heavier higher BC bullets. On the windage side of things heavier starts winning within 100 yards.

Take a 40gr Berger in a 204 leaving at 4000fps and compare it to a 22cal 80 berger launching at 3500. Up to 300 yards the 4000 fps 40gr VS 3500 fps 80gr the TOF is already nearly identical and the 40gr only drops 1 inch less but in a 10mph crosswind the 40gr drifts double the distance of that 80 grainer and from 400 yards on out the 80gr walks away from the 4000fps 40.

I guess I see what you’re saying, to an extent. But I do know for an absolute fact, without a doubt, that my 204 drifts less than my 223 AI, and my 220 Swift, at 400.

A buddy of mine, DAA knows him well, Jason Thee from NE. Used to hunt with my dad with the Coyote Gods. We used to go up there 2 or 3 times a year and shoot PD. My Swift, his 22-250, and my dads 223 AI, all drifted more at 400 than my 204 AI did. . And I have more people that seen it as well.

Shooting PD’s at 300-450 yards, with a 5-10mph cross wind, my hold over was MUCH less than theirs. That’s a 40gr Nosler in my 204 AI.

-55gr in the 22-250
-50gr in the 220 Swift
-53gr in the 223 AI

My 243 AI and the 6x47 I had, was still more hold over and both of those were/are 69gr.

I’m not at all telling you what you “don’t know”. And I hope it doesn’t come off that way whatsoever. Because that’s not my intentions.

My 223 AI shooting a 40gr at 4000, drops much more than my 204 AI shooting the same bullet at almost identical speeds.

My 204 AI with the 40gr af 4000, without a doubt drifts less at 300-500 yards than my 223 AI, my swift, and my 243 AI.

Back