Lucky Duck Rebel Hand Controller

EasternPredHunter

Quick question for those of you who have call controllers that have buttons that don’t light up. How do you see them in the dark when you’re trying to be discreet. Don’t like having to shine a light down at it. Biggest drawback of my rebel. Love the caller though. Fantastic battery life!

Definitely an option, just neither would be very good I don’t think. Paint rubs off and stickers don’t stick to rubber well. Plus the buttons are so small you couldn’t paint what’s on them. There’s no LCD screen so I have about 15 buttons.

I've used those little bumpers for cabinet doors and stick them on the volume buttons. That also gives me a reference point for the buttons around them.

Last edited:
I have about the same issue with the Revolt remote, though it does have the screen so you can see the sounds and volume displayed. I just have the buttons memorized well enough to get by so far but it's a challenge. I recently bought an Icotec with a lit up remote thinking that will be the solution for night, but I didn't like the call or remote at all so returned it.

I might try to find a small light to mount to the tripod and shine straight down so when needed I can hold the remote under it. Since I sit most of the time that should be pretty discrete I'd think.

I've also thought about a sticky bumper on some buttons but I'm not sure it'd stay on these, might be worth a try though.

Sounds like a good thing to let Lucky Duck know about. I have the same problem with my Revolution. Nice caller, but hard to manipulate at night in the cold with gloves on.

I totally understand that being available on the more expensive options as to entice the consumer to purchase their higher end equipment. But I sure hate the thought that I’d have to spend hundreds more for features I don’t really want just so I can have a remote that has lighted buttons/LCD screen. Oh well. Gotta pay to play I guess. If anyone else has suggestions on a cool way to make the remote easier to use at night I’m all ears. Thanks!

Honestly, memorizing the layout and the buttons functions are really the only good option that I found. I do the same for my rifles IR laser when I shoot under NODs as well

Originally Posted By: duck204 ar what model of icotec did you buy and what did you not like about it

I got the Nightstalker, a lot of people really like it so maybe I got a dud. From my research, it's the same amp and speaker as the outlaw and sabre, the sabre won't play 2 sounds at once, while the other 2 will.

I didn't like the remote layout, or the fact the sounds aren't in folders so you scroll through the whole list. I couldn't figure out which button to push first in the dark so that it would wake up. Some woke it up and some didn't. At least on the Revolt, there is a main center button that's easy to feel, and all of the buttons will wake it up I think. There's also no instant favorites except for the coax button, which is preset on half volume, so having a stopping sound saved, or an after shooting sound saved and available with one click isn't feasable.

I didn't like the sounds I listened to or played on stand. Very short loops and they just sounded weird to me.

I didn't like the volume, not even close to my Revolt when I want to crank it up.

I didn't like the clarity, it was awful, worst I've ever heard.

I didn't like that you have to take the battery pack out to charge it.

Other than that, it was great lol.

I did like that the remote was instantly on and connected when you flip the switch. That's a negative on the Revolt, it takes 20 or 30 seconds to fire up and look for 3 extra calls that nobody uses. Dumb feature.

I will add, I used a LD battery pack from the Revolt, it plugs right in to the Icotec. Both calls use 10 battery trays, so it should be correct and the Icotec battery pack looks just like the LD. But maybe? the bad sound was a voltage issue? I'm betting I got a not so good one because some guys I trust on here use them with very good results and speak highly of them. But I didn't think I could get past the other negatives imo.

Back