First Peek at the 22-NXS!!

Originally Posted By: G AndersonOriginally Posted By: varminter .223What kind of accuracy?

Initially I was having difficulty getting a "group"...always getting the 1 shot that destroyed the group. Didn't matter if it was 3 or 5 shot groups...always had one that spoiled the group. Maybe the barrel finally "came in", but I also started playing with bench technique. An AR just handles different in the bags than a bolt gun and for me I have to watch things more so than with a bolt gun.
Having said all this and now having a good bench technique with the AR, the 55gr Sierra and Nosler are giving 5/8" to 3/4" at 100yds consistently ...the Berger 52gr Target and Varmint are giving 1/2" and smaller...a few groups in the .3xx range but consistently 1/2".

If I could consistently get .5-.75” 5 shot groups I’d be happy. What kind of velocity gain am I looking at if I jump up from a 20” to a 22” barrel shooting the 55 game kings? 3600 for 20” and 3650 for 22”? Or higher?

Standard or light profile? Used for hunting and shooting off a tripod. Weights not a huge concern, I’d rather have accuracy but don’t want to lug around a pig either.

Is this what most people are using:
Bullet: 55gr game kings
Powder: CFE223
Brass: Hornady 6mm Hagar
Primer: small rifle 400 or 450?
Dies: I saw nosler and RCBS anyone have the model number so I don’t F it up?
What’s my trim to length on the brass?
BCG: 6.8
Mag: 6.8 ASC or what’s the choice here?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SoganOriginally Posted By: G AndersonOriginally Posted By: varminter .223What kind of accuracy?

Initially I was having difficulty getting a "group"...always getting the 1 shot that destroyed the group. Didn't matter if it was 3 or 5 shot groups...always had one that spoiled the group. Maybe the barrel finally "came in", but I also started playing with bench technique. An AR just handles different in the bags than a bolt gun and for me I have to watch things more so than with a bolt gun.
Having said all this and now having a good bench technique with the AR, the 55gr Sierra and Nosler are giving 5/8" to 3/4" at 100yds consistently ...the Berger 52gr Target and Varmint are giving 1/2" and smaller...a few groups in the .3xx range but consistently 1/2".

If I could consistently get .5-.75” 5 shot groups I’d be happy. What kind of velocity gain am I looking at if I jump up from a 20” to a 22” barrel shooting the 55 game kings? 3600 for 20” and 3650 for 22”? Or higher?

Standard or light profile? Used for hunting and shooting off a tripod. Weights not a huge concern, I’d rather have accuracy but don’t want to lug around a pig either.

Is this what most people are using:
Bullet: 55gr game kings
Powder: CFE223
Brass: Hornady 6mm Hagar
Primer: small rifle 400 or 450?
Dies: I saw nosler and RCBS anyone have the model number so I don’t F it up?
What’s my trim to length on the brass?
BCG: 6.8
Mag: 6.8 ASC or what’s the choice here?

That would be about it...a 50fps gain at best. I am running a 20" and Ritch uses an 18" I believe.

I am using a light profile barrel(Ritch's preference) and shoot off a tripod night hunting.

I like the Sierra 55gr HPBT (#1390) or the 52gr Berger Target bullets.

CFE223 Powder

6mm Hagar Brass

CCI450

RCBS 22Nosler Full Length sizing die and RCBS 22 Nosler seater die. Set the FL die around .043" off the shellholder and run new brass thru the die. Load and shoot a couple of casings a couple of times and then measure what your headspace is on that fully formed brass, then set the die up to bump shoulders back(.004-.005) from that measurement and that will be all you have to do with the FL die from there on out. Set it and forget it.

6.8 BCG and 6.8 ASC Mags

Chamber is 1.790, so trim length will be 1.780

When we developed this cartridge we set the trim length at 1.775. Initially Ritch and I used the RCBS SB dies. They work well. Later I picked up a Redding Type S bushing die, standard 22 Nosler not SB, and have used that since my initial go around of work ups. I use a Hornady seater die with the optimal micrometer top.

Brass is of course Hornady that we get from Creedmoor in 500 piece lots. Be aware that the hardness of this brass can vary from lot to lot as I have seen in other Hornady bulk buys. If you get a batch of some that is soft that firing it once or twice at non-firewall loads will work harden it enough to extend the case life. I have quite a bit of brass I have fired 6-8 times and they are doing fine BTW.

Velocity from the 20-22 inch variation will be 25-35 FPS/INCH. Ritch shoots a 55 Game King at 3640 in his 20. I am shooting Nosler 55's in mine with good results a hitting solid 3750 with CFE and H4895. CFE seems to work well across the board for bullet weights. We both run adjustable gas blocks for flexibility in powders and brass life. Ritch and I both run ASC magazines on this one.

I shot some 50 Nosler BT's at 3800-3900 with good results. My LabRadar maxed at 3900 so I know I was above that. We are running CCI 450's exclusively.

Greg

Originally Posted By: varminter .223How many grains of cfe223 are you loading with 55s?

35.0 of CFE 223 under the Nosler is a nice brass friendly load. I have been higher and for me that gives me a nice cushion.

Greg

Originally Posted By: G AndersonOriginally Posted By: varminter .223What kind of accuracy?

What was your powder range that you tested for each bullet? All pretty similar? I’ll do an OCW test once I finally get everything ready for it

Alright gentleman, I just want to make sure I have the model numbers right here.

Hornady seater: https://www.natchezss.com/hornady-single...nosler-224.html

Micrometer: https://www.natchezss.com/hornady-microjust-seating-stem.html

RCBS SB 22 Nosler. Are these full length or neck only? Same model number on different websites are saying different things: https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/74322

If so, ill move forward with purchasing them but I wanted to make sure first.

Last edited:
Powder charge was similar for all...34.0 to 35.0max

I use the RCBS 22 Nosler FL sizer die and I'm sure it was the one you show from Graf's...and the RCBS 22 Nosler Seater die...not sure on the number.

Sorry for not responding sooner...just now saw your post and for some reason I am not getting notifications.

Originally Posted By: G AndersonPowder charge was similar for all...34.0 to 35.0max

I use the RCBS 22 Nosler FL sizer die and I'm sure it was the one you show from Graf's...and the RCBS 22 Nosler Seater die...not sure on the number.

Sorry for not responding sooner...just now saw your post and for some reason I am not getting notifications.

I appreciate it. I picked up the RCBS SB 22 Nosler die and am just waiting on a Hornady seater to be in stock. May look for a different seater if it doesn’t come back in stock but I just ordered the barrel so I’m assuming I have some time.

How many rounds are you able to fit in the 6.8 mags? Can they be full or do you have to download them to get them to run? IF downloaded does getting a magazine over 10 rounds matter if they can only run with 7 in them etc?

Looks like only time now in your way. Magazine capacity is the same as the 6m8. Make sure you get ASC stainless that have more room for you.

BTW I use ASC Grendel speced mags on all my 6.8 variants. Never had a bobble.

Greg

Last edited:
As Greg stated, same cartridge capacity as 6.8. I use the stainless ASC mags and have not had any issues whatsoever...everything ran reliably and even had a few mag dumps at coyotes with success...LOL

Gene

Originally Posted By: GLShooterLooks like only time now in your way. Magazine capacity is the same as the 6m8. Make sure you get ASC stainless that have more room for you.

Greg

Any reason for one caliber over the other? Still haven’t made any mag purchases yet

Originally Posted By: SoganOriginally Posted By: GLShooterLooks like only time now in your way. Magazine capacity is the same as the 6m8. Make sure you get ASC stainless that have more room for you.

Greg

Any reason for one caliber over the other? Still haven’t made any mag purchases yet

Probably not but we just got to using Grendel mags to start as the LBC family was developed.

Ritch has a few 6.8 type and I have one. My 6.8 handles the NXS just fine but I just settled on them for everything that is 6.8 or Russian based. Thousands of rounds shot between the two base cases on my rifles and have never had a bobble. I guess for me if it ain't broke I won't fix it.

Greg

Couple questions on running the new brass through the full length die.

I understand that I will set the full length die .040-.043"ish off the shellplate to start.

So question 1: Is the main goal here to bump the shoulders back just enough to be able to chamber brass? And I can do a little bump at a time and then check to see if itll chamber? Once it does, maybe bump it another .001-.002 and load from there. I do plan to shoot the same 5 pieces of brass a couple times to use those measurements to set my full length die up.

Question 2: Once the die is set up, will it set up the remaining new brass exactly the same or will I pretty much need to shoot all of the brass first before I start my load development?

Basically, will my set up die allow me to run new brass and give me identical brass to my fired ones to where my load development wont change or suffer as a result (not factoring in spring back, # of firings per case, annealing etc)

Last edited:
On new brass grab five pieces and adjust the die down to size the neck only without shoulder bump. The brass will be short enough to chamber easily.

Load them up and fire. Measure your shoulder height and adjust the die for 0.003 shoulder bump. Lock it down. You can now size your new brass and are good to go with new and fired cases.

Greg

Back