What has greater Priority? Handheld thermal scanner or Mounted thermal scope?!

Rhino20

I am looking at getting a Thermal scope. The just released AGM Varmint LRF series looks interesting. Anyone know much about these? I know they are the Hikmicro Panthers rebranded.

BUT, as I am looking at getting a Thermal scope I am told that you must have a handheld scanner as well.

So my question is this: If I have a quality scope can one get a less expensive thermal handheld scanner that may not identify, but will spot a something and then use the scope to identify?
OR
Is it better to get the higher end hand held and spend less on the scope?
Thanks for any and all advice!

Last edited:
I don't have the experience of others on this forum, but if I had to pick, I would want a better scanner than scope.

When hunting, I use the scope for 30 seconds, and my scanner non stop.

I'm also pretty new to this, my gear consists of a Super Hogster to shoot with and a Hogster R25 to scan.

I'm perfectly happy with the SH to shoot, even though it's 384 resolution, the 3x base mag is enough for most situations I've encountered. Long shots are tough to determine how far, but 200 is easy enough.

The smaller R25 is 1.4 base mag and it leaves me wanting a bit in our open terrain. I love the little scope for other reasons, like close range small varmint control on a 22, but I will eventually upgrade to a higher power scanner.

I got the SH first, and scanned with the rifle. A buddy still does this, and imo it sucks. You are dedicated to standing and circling a tripod all stand long. So I'm very glad to have something to scan with, but would go with 2x minimum next time.

JMO

Between option A and option B go with option A. That's what most of us did and are still doing unless one can afford the good scanner also.

Night hunting is a LOT more difficult if your don't have a rifle mounted thermal scope. It can be done, but I believe you are using lighting of some sort. I would not think of hunting coyotes and hog without a thermal mounted scope. A compact handheld thermal is a great accessory for hunting after dark.

Originally Posted By: Rhino20I am looking at getting a Thermal scope. The just released AGM Varmint LRF series looks interesting. Anyone know much about these? I know they are the Hikmicro Panthers rebranded.

BUT, as I am looking at getting a Thermal scope I am told that you must have a handheld scanner as well.

So my question is this: If I have a quality scope can one get a less expensive thermal handheld scanner that may not identify, but will spot a something and then use the scope to identify?
OR
Is it better to get the higher end hand held and spend less on the scope?
Thanks for any and all advice!

The quick answer is that you spend HOURS behind your scanner and MINUTES behind your scope so put the bulk of your money into a good scanner. It will make your hunting much more enjoyable and productive IMO. When you buy a scope just make sure you get a scope that holds zero above everything else because if it does not it is worthless IMO. If your budget is tight then get a thermal scanner first and shoot with lights.

I have been doing business with a thermal distributor on the West Coast for years and I will frequently field test units and get to take a look at what's out there. I recently tested the AGM Rattler TS25-384 scope and I can tell you it's a great little unit for the money. Small, light, and has a VERY good image for the core specs of the unit. Not to mention the scope comes on a $200 ADM single lever mount which makes it even better. I liked it so much I am keeping it and using it as a scanner.

Just a little FYI.....They also sell the AGM Varmint and I found out last week they are having MAJOR problems with that unit and have had to recall every one they sold so I would say that's a no-go on that line of thermals for now.

AGM has some scopes in their line with the FLIR Tau 2 cores and I would stay away from those. It's not that the FLIR cores are substandard but from years of experience I can tell you most of the newer lines have better performance than the FLIR cores. I suspect it is a software issue and they perform relatively poorly in high humidity and nights when the baseline thermal signature is washed out due to a lack of large enough day/night temperature margins to produce a substantial amount thermal lag.

Here's a pic of the the Rattler TS-25 on my camera handle for scanning. I have no complaints so far with this unit. The Rattler line is also offered with a 640 core and I imagine it's also a good unit. The good part is this unit can be used as a scope or scanner so it gives you some future flexibility with your next thermal purchase.

Shop the web for a lower price than MSRP listed at the AGM site.

https://www.agmglobalvision.com/thermal-imaging/thermal-weapon-sights/agm-rattler-ts25-384

sEizjgp.jpg

Last edited:
A thermal scanner is the most important part of most nighttime coyote hunter's tools if they are calling coyotes. If hunting over or near bait, it isn't as critical, and a scope alone can suffice.

In general, most will say to spend the money on a better-quality scope, but as a few others have said, it is what you are using 99% of the time. A good quality thermal scanner is a huge plus. Whether it is a scanner alone or a compact scope/scanner, if you night hunt a lot, you will eventually have a decent quality thermal scanner.

Back