Infiray FH35R vs SCH50 (Phenom 640 lrf vs Super Yoter)

Ernest49

Tonight I took some photos in total darkness with the Infiray Finder FH35R (which we could define a Phenom 640 with rangefinder) to the left
versus the Infiray Saim SCH50 (= Super Yoter) to the right... I took a photo composition (I learned from Kirsch ...) for being able to see the differences better. I tell you that it was very difficult from the panoramic terrace on the twelfth floor, with cold and black haze ... to keep the devices perfectly still ... so maybe some photos could be imperceptibly moved ...

Cathedral of Saint Anthony of Padua (where the skeleton of the Saint is kept) the best known Saint in the world.

9ds1o0f.jpg

Cathedral of Saint Justina (where the bones of Sant Luke the Evangelist are kept), the sixth largest church of Christianity.

Bta9pCr.jpg

Mount Venda Euganean Hills, 10 miles away, immersed in black haze

a8aceAC.jpg

To finish the road at 350 yards ...

ap0OI4v.jpg

Last edited:
Those are awesome comparison pictures Ernest. The SCH50 seems to have slightly better clarity? I've noticed the better the clarity on a thermal the less eye strain over the course of a night out hunting - at least for me anyway. Thanks for posting

Thanks Buck13, I am very pleased that you enjoyed my little-big comparison work. A version of the Bering Optics Phenom 640 with rangefinder will certainly be launched in the US. This model was first launched by the Infiray, but the Infiray Saim SCH50 arrived a long time after your Bering Optics Super Yoter .... So, as you can see, there is no precise launch order. One thing is 100% certain, sooner or later, Bering Optics and Infiray launch equivalent thermal devices.

Burnsome ... you are right the 50mm optics of the Saim SCH50 stands out, in a positive sense, in comparison. The image is a little brighter and sharper. The Finder FH35R, with the 35 mm optics gives a more contrasted image, which however is improved, thanks to a NETD

All the images look good Ernest and nice job of putting them side by side. I would assume either side could yield a different result by slight changes to settings. My choice on which thermal yields a better image could be different depending on what I am looking for. I think they are a nice compliment to each other.

I actually prefer the cool setting on my 640 Bering's. For me the hot objects, stand out a little but I have gone back and forth on this and use both.

Sorry SkyPup, I only saw your reply now. I'm hunting in Croatia .. Unfortunately, the news is dramatically true. The Italian hunter had hit the hog, but this had the strength to charge him, with his very long fang he bit the thigh deeply, cutting the femoral artery cleanly. He bled to death! It was necessary that some hunter friend close to him, overcoming fear, put 2 fingers deep on the wound and exerting pressure with all possible force, block the broken artery until the arrival of the helicopter with a doctor equipped with a hemostat . This might have been the only way to save his life. Many years ago a hunter friend of mine was studying Veterinary Medicine in Turin ... a boy with a motorcycle fell in front of him. The brake lever entered deeply into his thigh cutting the femoral artery. My friend, with exceptional coldness and presence of mind, stuck a finger or two inside the wound, pushing with all possible force until the ambulance arrived ... and saved the motorcyclist's life.

Originally Posted By: Buck13great comparison !

Hopefully the Phenom LRF version becomes available here in the USA

After waiting for almost a year, I finally ordered a FH35R from a Canadian distributor (I live 3 hours from them, lol), should be here in a couple weeks

I've emailed iRay and Infiray a few times about getting this at a USA distributor with no solid timeline when it might be available

Last edited:
I too have noticed that under certain weather conditions my Phenom 640 (35mm) will have a better image than my Super Yoter 50mm, but most of the time the reverse is true as it should be. I guess it is all about the algorithms.

Also wanted to add that I knocked my tripod over and my rifle and SY hit hard enough that it broke the lens cover off the Objective. I checked the zero the next day and it was still dead-on. I called Diana at Bering and she immediately got the process started to send me another cover.

Double, sorry to hear about your objective cover but glad your SY50 retained zero and Bering support helped you right away.

There are a lot of reasons why 1 thermal can have a better image than others. A lot depends on the contrast, sharpness, ultra-clear, etc settings. Some of the Phenom versions had minimal adjustment options. For lack of a better term, they are a bit more forgiving as the thermal makes more automatic adjustments for the users. This bugs some people while often will yield a better image because very little has to be done. The SY50 has 4 different image options to tweak, so if it is not manipulated often, it can be less than optimized. I will admit I rarely adjust anything on my SY50.

If all things are equal (two thermals with the same sensor), the thermal with less magnification and larger FOV will often look better. However, PID can be attained at greater distances with the thermal with the higher magnification and smaller FOV.

Kirsch, likewise I don't do much changing of brightness, contrast, etc. I just adjust the focus on both as needed and sometimes forget to do that in the "heat of the moment."

Back