Big Coyote

fitz

Did some calling last week at a ranch South of San Angelo, TX. Got this big male yote about 8 o'clock one morning. Weighed 43 pounds. Came into Coyote Pup Distess on my new Johnny Stewart Executioner. This is a relatively new caller and I had good success with it on this trip. In addition to this coyote, I called in a number of grey foxes as well. It's not the loudest caller out there, but it works. My other knock on it is that they did not include a raccoon fight sound. For the price, you can't beat it. APC has it on sale right now for a hundred bucks.

view

Last edited:
That is one big dude for a southern coyote, congrats.

If that call is reliable it would be a great starter call, heck I could do 90% of the hunting I do with it. I've used a JS Grim Speaker G-2 and it called coyotes just fine.

Last edited:
Biggun for sure. Many years ago Rod Haydel of Haydel's game calls took a coyote over 50lbs down south there somewhere.

AWS,

The call just feels solid and well built in your hands-----more so than the JS Grim 2, which I also have. While the build quality on the JS Grim doesn't seem as good it has been very reliable for me as well and it is a good bit louder than the executioner. I agree it is a great starter call or even a good back up call. I always like to have two calls with me just in case I have an issue. Right now I have Foxpro Inferno along with the JS callers and they have all been very reliable. I do like the elastomeric keypads on the JS callers as opposed to the keypad on the Inferno.

One other cool thing about this trip was the number of Mexican eagles (also known as Caracara) I saw. A few year back at this same ranch I saw a pair that came in to the call and perched in some trees close by. Had not seen any in the following years but this trip pretty much anytime I played the the grey fox pup sound on the JS caller I had one or more come in. They are pretty cool birds with distinctive markings that make them easy to recognize.

Back