Some new property yields some first stand success

204 AR

One of the reasons I wanted to get into night hunting is that it allows hunting some farm ground close by that is really tough to set up in during the day. One spot in particular caught my eye when pheasant hunting a few years back, shelter belts, wheat and corn stubble, and a rough draw intersecting it. Today I got permission on that and the wind was right and I wanted to try it.

It was a long stand, 50 minutes in I spotted one and it was hung up, finally I hit the right sound and it circled within range. It was getting somewhat close to downwind when I shot.

LKaAmPil.jpg

The picture looks bigger, it wasn't huge but is a nice female. Was about 200 steps, I did a better job mentally marking where it fell than last time and walked a few yards past it but found it fairly easily.

Nice job with the shot. If the cover is fairly light, I will do what you did and shoot where the body should be. If the cover is heavy, I have shot them in the head too. Small target, but they don't move.

Originally Posted By: KirschNice job with the shot. If the cover is fairly light, I will do what you did and shoot where the body should be. If the cover is heavy, I have shot them in the head too. Small target, but they don't move.

Thanks, I was betting on it standing the same way as I didn't see it make any turning moves but it was certainly a gamble. I wondered how many stalks the 53 vmax fought through. I just figured it was now or never and it worked out this time.

Back