We had a great day of calling coyote's, today.

Thats pretty neat. I thought about trying a goose chair. I just don't know how much ground I could watch doing that. What loads are you shooting now?

Thanks
Jon

When you are laying down on your back with a shotgun, you don't need to see a bunch of ground. I just lay still looking at my Foxpro. Quite often I will hear the coyote's feet hitting the ground before I see them.

I do use a low turkey hunting chair when I have trees or junipers to get up against.

I have to use lead free shot to hunt coyotes so I am using 3" 12 ga reloads with HW13 BB shot, Rem HD BB shot, 15g/cc #2 shot and TSS shot in sizes #2, #3 and #4.

Quite often I will hear the coyote's feet hitting the ground before I see them.

Bob, I find that statement interesting and confirming because about 40 years ago I knew a guy who would lay out in a plowed field in what we farmers called a “dead furrow”, using a hand call, said when he heard the coyotes feet thumping on the frozen ground they were close enough to sit up and get them with a shotgun. I have told that story more than once and don’t believe anybody ever believed me, most said “impossible” , thx

Originally Posted By: derbyacresbobThats pretty neat. I thought about trying a goose chair. I just don't know how much ground I could watch doing that. What loads are you shooting now?

Thanks
Jon

When you are laying down on your back with a shotgun, you don't need to see a bunch of ground. I just lay still looking at my Foxpro. Quite often I will hear the coyote's feet hitting the ground before I see them.

I do use a low turkey hunting chair when I have trees or junipers to get up against.

I have to use lead free shot to hunt coyotes so I am using 3" 12 ga reloads with HW13 BB shot, Rem HD BB shot, 15g/cc #2 shot and TSS shot in sizes #2, #3 and #4.

Is that how you do it every set? No matter the cover. Do you go by yourself

Thanks

jon

If I have cover to sit up against or in the shade of, I don't lay down with my shotgun.

When I go coyote calling with my buddy most of the time, I use a shotgun and he uses a rifle.

In wide open country with no cover, I lay down with my shotgun and he lays prone with his rifle.

IMG_8757 by [/url], on Flickr
The big male coyote in the above picture, I shot laying down with my shotgun at about 35 yards away on ground with no cover on it.

[url=https://www.flickr.com/gp/156463377@N08/8mNhe9 t=_blank]IMG_9110 by [/url], on Flickr
Last year the young man in the above picture used my ramp and pillow to kill a coyote double on open ground on his first ever coyote calling hunt. I was layin prone with a rifle off to the side and above him. I got to watch the coyotes run right up to him from about 500 yards out. He didn't see these two coyotes until they were about 50 yards away.

[url=https://www.flickr.com/gp/156463377@N08/301QBy t=_blank]IMG_0260 - Copy by [/url], on Flickr
I took the above picture many years ago when I took the rancher's son coyote calling for his first time. He is laying down in the short grass on the left of the picture. My Foxpro is in the middle of the picture and that is a coyote that just ran in on the right side of the picture. I was laying down prone with my rifle when I took this picture.

If you keep your profile low to the ground in open country coyotes will run right up on you if you lay still.

[url=https://www.flickr.com/gp/156463377@N08/a5B419 t=_blank]IMG_2702 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/156463377@N08/, on Flickr

While my son and I were laying prone with rifles in open country with only cow pies to hide behind, the coyote in the above picture ran in right on us and stopped to look at my son when he moved his rifle to make the shot.

Can't imagine hunting terrain w/o any cover, Bob; complete opposite to our S. TX brush.

Here, we mostly hunt senderos through heavy brush or the few areas around lakes or roller chopped pasture edges. I always carry a small set of clippers and often have to clear a few branches adjacent to my hide to clear a shooting lane.

Obviously your adjustable ramp works around the problem quite well; as they say, any port in a storm.
thumbup1.gif

Regards,
hm

Back