5mm Rem Mag….

Austin Laughlin

I’ve got quite a few rimfire. 17 Mach 2 and WSM. Few 22lr and a 22WM. But now I’ve got the chance to buy a 5mm. A bunch of the old timers around here still have them. Back when we had a good population of foxes in my area, that was their go to. I can buy the rifle and 400 rounds of ammo, dirt cheap. I just don’t know what I’d use it for. I was hoping some of y’all could help me out? Maybe y’all have hunted with one.

I don’t feel like I’m gaining anything really. But it’s a cool little round, and I’ll probably just buy it regardless. It’d just be nice if someone could tell me if they’re known to be accurate? Good for fox and cat maybe?

I've shot a bunch of stuff with a .17hmr and .22mag over the years. Including coyotes and bobcats. From what I've read the 5mm is better than the .22mag so I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a bobcat or fox with one. I say go for it.

The 5mm's I owned in the 70's were more accurate than the 22WMR's I owned. That is due to the fact mainly there built on the same action as the 580's and 541's. I killed woodchucks and fox with them and I felt they hit harder than the 22WMR's and good for longer distances.

I went ahead and bought it. I’m glad to hear y’all like this little round. I’m kind of excited for it really. It’s hard for me to ever point a rimfire at a coyote… I know a lot of people do, and their entitled to their opinions, but I just can’t do it. I’ve seen to many lost. But I think this will be an awesome fox and cat pill, right there with my WSM! I’m hoping I got one that’s a shooter!

Congratulations! When Remington came out with the 5mm, I was too poor
to get one. When my finances could afford one, their whole 5mm project
tanked. So much for them having to control the whole market! I see
that Aguilla makes periodic runs of the ammo, although their offering
is anemic compared to the original.

I would have been so much more excited about the rimfire WSM had it
been in 20 caliber!

I’m 200% with you on the .20. I hands down love my 17 WSM, it’ literally bug holes at 100 yards. 5 shots, hid with a penny if there’s no flyers. But I would’ve loved it in a .20! Higher B.C and similar velocity.. It’d be a thumper!

I bought 400 rounds of the Aguila with the gun. My local small town store here sells them quite often. I’m not sure if I’m aloud to do this one here…. But if y’all wind up needing something just let me know! They’re loaded!

The 5mm white box Aguila will do everything a 17hmr will do in a prairie dog town. Way better than a 22 mag. Keep the chamber shiny clean. Dirty it extracts hard and new extractors are hard to find or non-existent.

If you can find some of the original 5mm Remington ammo, it was loaded with a 38gr Core-Lokt bullet at 2,100fps. It worked very well on fox/racoon/woodchucks.

I've had mine since about 1970.

When I recovered the Core-Lokt's from stuff I shot, they were picture perfect mushrooms. I have no experience with the Aguila ammo, as I have just under 200 rounds of the factory ammo left, and I only use the rifle for fall turkey hunting, so, one shot-and-done.

Thanks for the tips triple deuce! I’ll be sure it’s maintained good.

And I’m searching now for some, it seems like it’s a needle in a haystack, but I may get lucky! Sounds they’re good performers K22!

Back