where are the bolt action rifles??

SlickerThanSnot

so, i have seen guys posting in the classifieds looking for a bolt action 223 or 22-250.

i never thought i would see the day when you could not find a bolt action 223 to buy if you wanted to buy one.

seems as that day is now here. i just searched the old internet pretty hard for one and there is none. that is [beeep] crazy.

hoping somebody smarter than me can explain this to me? please?

I have two of each but they aren't for sale. Well I guess for the right price they could be. Like you, I looked the other day and seems there weren't many for sale NIB. Some of the other places like GunBroker had a few. Stupid prices on most of them.

I called my gun guy yesterday and gave him a list of 5 rifles I am wanting and there is none available through his suppliers, but he said GunAuction had some of them for over 1,000 more than MSRP. I just want to kick the @#$% out the people that do that crap and then I want to kick the people that buy it.
I don't know what's going on but I don't think its a coincidence. I've been through gun scares/grabs in the past and they go away pretty quickly after a bit. I find it hard to believe that all the major gun manufacturers are all out at the same time for this long. The demand isn't that great. It could be some group or government doing it. I might be really reaching here but I can't wrap my head around it with a logical explanation. I mean our government has payed farmers not to farm their land. I know its probably not true but nothing would surprise me nowadays. Just look at the millions that have been made with the Covid stuff.

Thanks
Jon

I don't know if it has anything to do with it or not but I have never seen before what is going on around here.
Even plants that have always been considered good places to work have help wanted signs at the entrance drive with 2000 and 3000 sign on bonus.
In times not long ago you had to know someone to get an interview.
Don't even think about hiring someone for farm work or any labor for that matter.

Labor "participation" rate is continuing to fall(bad for economy), because of vaccine mandates, unemployment bonus. And the 10 Billion that was fraudulently stolen from the COVID recovery funding.

Last edited:
Not finding what we want for our hobbies is bad enough, but things are going to get worse. Wait until the mandates force so many health care workers out that you can't even get a dr appointment when you need it.

Yes, the healthcare workers,hospital bed availability numbers dropping is intentional by democrats. Started in the 80's with the Kennedy HOM/insurance scam.

Grocery store shelves are not bare but they don't have many choices like the past. Some things they are just out of.
Beef is really high. Inflation suddenly the worst in forty years.

If I didn't know it was just a conspiracy theory I would think this is all to shove the middle class that was just emerging from poverty back into poverty and dependance.

I called a couple of different local gun shops a few weeks ago wanting to order another varmint rifle. None of them could get one or even give me an estimated time of availability. The used market is booming. I’ve seen some rifles selling used for double or more the msrp new. I’ve seen some rifles in the exact model I own, selling for 3x the price I gave for one less than 5 years ago. It’s not just firearms either, scopes, reloading components, ammo, all are hard to find or priced much higher than they were not long ago. Crazy times for sure.

As for the government, theories and suspicions are what they are. Fact will always be though that big government is not your friend or good for anyone/anything except government officials making the rules with $$$$$ to gain on kick backs and donations/campaign contributions.

Very few new factory bolt guns made, I would want to own these days. It's sickening to me to see the crap that is sent out the factory doors .

I have a standing order with my little LGS for a bolt action 223. For 3 months now. I will go without before I pay these prices. Has to stop somewhere, sometime and I guess my limit for stupid has been reached.

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeVery few new factory bolt guns made, I would want to own these days. It's sickening to me to see the crap that is sent out the factory doors .

I don't know about that. I have 3 factory rifles that are shooting almost quarter sized groups with factory ammo at 200 yards. Maybe it's the ammo but whatever it is, I'm pretty pleased with it.

There was a lot of ammo on the shelves this weekend at Cabelas, Sportsmans Warehouse and Murdochs. More than I've seen in a long time. Some of it was priced okay and some was through the roof.

It will likely get worse this fall until the election is over. People always panic buy before the election. The only positive thing I’ve seen is a lot more ammunition on the shelves the last couple months. Almost all the ammunition is still significantly overpriced. Occasionally I’ve found ammunition for ok prices the last couple of months. Trying to find powder and primers at reasonable prices has been nonexistent for almost 2 years now. I didn’t expect it to last this long.

Originally Posted By: LUCKYDOGOriginally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeVery few new factory bolt guns made, I would want to own these days. It's sickening to me to see the crap that is sent out the factory doors .

I don't know about that. I have 3 factory rifles that are shooting almost quarter sized groups with factory ammo at 200 yards. Maybe it's the ammo but whatever it is, I'm pretty pleased with it.
Never said anything about how they shoot. I'm talking fit and finish in general.

I almost like tooling marks and actions that feel like they have been hand lapped with crushed concrete...almost.
wink.gif

I do have a question that has probably been answered elsewhere but...are the chamber and throat on the RAR predator still running short? If so, that takes one of the cheaper ones off the table. No fun to reload for something you can't move the bullet out until you find the sweet spot. Off to work...

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeOriginally Posted By: LUCKYDOGOriginally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeVery few new factory bolt guns made, I would want to own these days. It's sickening to me to see the crap that is sent out the factory doors .

Never said anything about how they shoot. I'm talking fit and finish in general.

I almost like tooling marks and actions that feel like they have been hand lapped with crushed concrete...almost.
wink.gif

That is an excellent point and is true. It is like there is no pride or principle in their products anymore. But I've noticed that is pretty much the mindset these days. I guess age is catching up with me.

Originally Posted By: 204 ARNot finding what we want for our hobbies is bad enough, but things are going to get worse. Wait until the mandates force so many health care workers out that you can't even get a dr appointment when you need it.

^^^^^^This I've been farming 40 years,sourcing parts to keep equipment running is getting harder every month,certain oils are in short supply,Def is in short supply. Parts for tillage and planting equipment have been on order for weeks/months at times.

My wife has been a RN for 35+ years at the local hospital,one of her jobs is education for the pediatric floor,she says with out traveling nurses filling in,the place would be a complete train wreck...especially on the adult floor.

I put money down on a new 223 varmint bolt gun Feb 2021....It's the least of my worrys right now.

Last edited:
Back