Vssf 22-250

CSM52

I bought a second hand 700 vssf 22 250, stainless, Bell and carlson stock. Now I have the itch for a custom build and this 22 250 is on the chopping block as it's 26 in and heavy as can be.

Question is: rebarrel to a 22creed, 6 creed or 25 creed. Or does this rifle have enough value to sale and just start from scratch? I think I got a decent deal when I purchased it.

If it gets rebarreled it'll be 18-20 inch and going in a chassis

Seems like some people are paying lots of money for certain model 700s these days. May not hurt to try the market and see what it brings, can always start high and work down to stay where you need to be to get the custom. May bring more than expected. The down side would be wait times on an action and whatever other items you planned on using from this rifle for the re barrel.

As for caliber choices I can’t really offer much there. My father in law has a 6 creed, it’s 3 for 3 on white tails and none of them have took a step after the shot. I lined it up initially for him after mounting the scope and the recoil is very light, and the report wasn’t overly loud. If it were me I’d probably choose it, 2nd choice would be the 22 Creed. Guess it depends on what you want to use it for.

The 1st question is intended use? Sounds like maybe hunting with the shorter barrel? I don’t like long barrels for most hunting, especially if moving around, even a tight box blind, or tree stand.

If deer are in the mix, I’d kinda think a 6mm bore is a strong contender.

Yeah, I have a few oddball chamberings, but if a common one will do 90+% of the desired goal, I don’t see the need to go rare. I still get a kick out of the high priced 223WSSM ads, priced high ‘cuz they’re uncommon’? My choice was the common 22-250, when one wants more than the 223.

A reloader can get by with a bunch of brass & some dies, when no ammo is on the shelf.

Originally Posted By: CSM52I bought a second hand 700 vssf 22 250, stainless, Bell and carlson stock. Now I have the itch for a custom build and this 22 250 is on the chopping block as it's 26 in and heavy as can be.

Question is: rebarrel to a 22creed, 6 creed or 25 creed. Or does this rifle have enough value to sale and just start from scratch? I think I got a decent deal when I purchased it.

If it gets rebarreled it'll be 18-20 inch and going in a chassis
None of the three are a bad choice but since you're going short I think performance wise it always favors the larger bore diameters but that certainly doesn't mean you can't get plenty of performance from a shorty barrel 22-250 or 22CM. My 22-250 wears a 18in Brux barrel but I shoot pretty much everything suppressed so I prefer shorter barrels for the convenience once you screw a can on them.

My 6CM is built on a trued Rem 700 and wears a 20in Proof CF barrel.

Like was already mentioned your intended use would have a lot to do with which direction I'd lean.

If this is a varmint/predator gun only either the 22 or 6mm CM will serve you well. If you intend to use this for varmint/predators and game animals like deer then I think that favors the heavier bullet options of the 6 or 25 CM.

I have full custom builds and semi customs built on trued Rem 700's. My semi customs built on trued Rem 700's shoot every bit as good as my full custom builds.

Also, you talk about weight as it sits now. Hopefully you already know this before you buy one but there is nothing light about a chassis and generally they are much heavier than conventional stocks and certainly heavier than the CF stocks.

Last edited:
I talked to the OP in a PM and gave my thoughts. I told him if it were mine, I would sell it and use the money to build the rifle he was wanting. A similar rifle at a local Tulsa store sold one Gunbroker for a stupid high price. I'm not saying his would bring that amount but you never know. Remington's are bringing stupid high prices today. His being a VSSF and being a model Remington isn't making any longer could and probably will bring a premium price. Then use that money to build his rifle. The VSSF is a nice rifle to just tear apart for the action. Selling the left over parts aren't going to recoup much money either. Like said,its just my opinion if the rifle was mine. But.....its not mine.

I have the VSSF in 220 Swift and I would even think about tearing it down to do something else with it. I think you could get some very good money for that rifle on the used market.

Originally Posted By: CSM52Now I have the itch for a custom build and

it'll be 18-20 inch and going in a chassis

Full customs are nice just keep in mind you'll be looking at an easy $5,000-$6,000 for one complete by the time it's all done and then you have to scope it.

I had a VSSF 223. Pulled the barrel and it's sitting on the shelf along with the HS Precision stock they come with. Had the action trued and it is now my 20-222 with a Hart #4 and it sits in a pretty Rem BDL custom DLX walnut stock I also had sitting on the shelf. If I ever want to turn it back in to a VSSF 223 I can. I think it cost around $1200 to have my 20-222 made from that action.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: WyoBullI have the VSSF in 220 Swift and I would even think about tearing it down to do something else with it. I think you could get some very good money for that rifle on the used market.

Smart words.
thumbup1.gif

I would think in today's market the VSSF in any caliber will bring good money. A used barrel and stock, not so much. Like I said before, if it were mine, I'd sell it,buy another action and start from there. Alot will also depend on how "Custom" your talking about as to what its going to cost to build. Reminds me of an old saying, "Speed cost money. How fast you wanna go?"

I could see an all original first owner LNIB Rem VSSF bringing a premium but it sounds like the OP has somewhat of a semi customized VSSF so finding someone that sees the value of the changes/improvements would be important for getting a premium price.

This one is super nice but I'm a night hunter and run suppressed 110% of the time so the long barrel and weight of this gun is a deal breaker for me. I have my custom gun in mind and this one would just sit forever if I kept it

A short 18inch 6creed would push the weight bullets I desire to a speed I can live with and I can build it much lighter than this rifle

I thought my 6CM (SA 700 action, 20in Proof CF barrel, Mcm Varmint model stock, standard BDL hinged floorplat, Vortex HS-T 4-16x44 in NF Ultrlite rings) was going to turn out somewhat lightish but scoped it was still a tick over 9lbs. You're talking about using a chassis and a lot of those are 4-4+lbs

Back