788 Remington ... 22-250, any good ?

Was my first high power rifle 25 years ago. Also have a .308 in the same model. In our family we have 5 of them and would not trade them for anything. Very accuarate and reliable. If you have a chance to pick one up, I would highly recommend it.

No the trigger is not adjustable in a rem 788. In all the 788's I own I do not have a BAD trigger. Granted thay are not as good as you want, but they are all acceptable. There is an after market trigger listed by Timney, but I hear it cant be found.

I have one in .308 and one in 6mm rem. Both are good hunting rifles. They were made by Rem as a cheaper rifle but were very popular as they shoot very well. They are not usually considered a good candidate for accurizing, but usually don't need it! Some have had bolt problems, which can cause no end of grief, since 788 bolts are hard to impossible to find. The magazines are also difficult to find, so if you can get an extra mag or two, go for it.

I doubt I'll ever sell either of mine.

The 788's were decent rifles overall.
I had one about 25yrs. ago in the .22-250....loved it.

It was cheap and shot very good. Yeah, the trigger was a little rough, but not bad.
The big reason for it's demise was that the bolt lugs locked up at the rear of the bolt instead of it's face, closer to the case head at the breech.
It was believed that this difference lead to inaccuracies based on it's design.
Not the only reason, I'm sure, but the main reason which caused Remington to discontinue it in favor of the current 700 lockup system.

All that said, you couldn't prove it by the way my gun shot. I had nary a problem with it.

I think I bought an extra mag for it right through Remington back in the mid-80's.

Bob

Make sure that the extraction angle is not so high that the casings hit the scope knobs. Many 788's had this problem.

The trigger can be worked for $50 - i have not done it. The guns are known for their accuracy and whenever I find one it definately peaks my interest.

I agree with others' posts regarding the 788. Great guns, in many aspects. My dad has a couple in 30-30 and .223 and they are nice! I would reccommend getting one if you have the right gun under the right circumstances. Just don't lose the magezines; they're spendy to replace.

I've got two Rem 788's both in .22-250. One I purchased in 1969 and one last year that only had five rounds through it. It was purchased as a gift and never given. I picked it up for $100. They are fine rifles and are extremely accurate. But if you load hot reloads and get a tight one in the chamber you run the risk of breaking the bolt handle off while trying to ejecting it. They were soldered on and have been known to come off. I've seen it but never experienced it. Amazing Remington could have made such a great gun for so cheap. But I guess that's why they don't make it anymore. What was said about the magazines is true they're expensive to find replacements. I bought them as I found them years ago because I knew I'd never sell my original gun. I like it that much. The triggers are doable and work well.

788's are great rifles. They have a faster lock time than a 700. They bring a high dollar and are hunted by many who love them.

I have four and would like to have more. I have a 22-250 that is the best shooting rifle I've ever had. It loves Hornady 50 gr. SX's.

If you want a 22-250 and you find a 788 that works and is for a price you like, you should buy it. If it turns out you don't like it, a 788 in serviceable condition isn't hard to sell.

I had one in 22-250. I bought it sight unseen by telephone from a gunshop that had just taken it in trade, not really knowing anything about them. But it was a suitable coyote calibre, with a detachable magazine, which I really like, and affordable on my limited budget, so I took a chance. Initially it produced 12" groups at 25 yards, with some rounds keyholing, but that turned out to be copper fouling and Barnes CR-10 cured it, and I was pleased with its accuracy. I sold it for $25 more than I had paid, when I found something in .223, because that's what I really always wanted to use. The fellow who bought the 788 told me he was really happy with it (he got groups that proved the rifle was better than I was.)

Back