Trucking down the road ** At least I can get the coons lol

204 AR

It was windy all day, I thought about getting out at dark but didn't think it was going to lay down. It's still breezy, but I think stuff is moving tonight. I was looking out the window for mice with the 22lr and Hogster 25, and 2 coyotes came out of the field across the road and I lip squeaked and they came to the road. I grabbed the 223ai and went to the front window, and here's what happened.

Yes, embarrassing. In my defense, there's a lot in front of me, porch pillars and trees to contend with. All that stuff across the road is unused btw. Thought you guys might get a kick out of it.

But all was not lost, got my first confirmed mouse kill lol. Those suckers move fast.

Last edited:
Wow that coyote was close. At that distance and how slow the coyote was going, I don't think you needed any lead. Awesome footage.

It was fun to watch. But can feel your pain on the miss. Where you trying to get it stop with a bark?
But thanks for sharing.

So the whole story, I was scanning out the window with the H25 on the 22, and two coyotes appeared across the road from an alfalfa field, walking between two piles of bales that are on the edge of it. I couldn't believe it, and was worried they were someone's dogs at first. I lip squeaked and they came closer and one came to the road.

I ran and got my 223ai, and went to the front window as that's the way he was going. You see the footage from there. I really had to convince myself they were coyotes, this all happened so fast and I didn't want to shoot someone's dog lol. Logic finally convinced me, and I knew I didn't need to lead but sliding across the window sash I was pretty un-smooth, not to mention making sure I didn't shoot part of my house lol, and making sure no one was coming down the road.

The whole thing was just one of those freak things that happens once every few years when you're looking out the window at the exact right time.

Either way I guess the experience was about the same and this way I don't have to mess with a stinky $4 coyote lol.

Oh and I was trying like mad to stop it, I started yelling and had everyone in the house running downstairs to see if I was on fire or what lol.

Well you wouldn't believe it, but almost the same thing happened tonight, except it was a coon, followed by a coyote I believe. I didn't know for sure on the coyote so held off. The coon went into the building on one end, where the coyote quit following and went away. The coon came out the other end and I picked up the footage from there. No more pheasant eggs for this guy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuR5cBeLstI&feature=youtu.be

Then I got my gear on and went out to try to get the coyote to come in to where I shot the coon. I had a pair coming in from the adjacent field but they got my wind I'm sure. There's been a lot of activity around here lately. Two other critters were on the other side of the place, 200 yds out and I couldn't tell for sure what they were either and they never stopped long enough to get a good idea. I'm thinking maybe possums. I gotta say, it's pretty awesome getting in a little hunting without burning a drop of diesel.

Originally Posted By: 204 AR No more pheasant eggs for this guy...Nice shot on a moving coon. Coyotes will be in trouble with you shooting like that.

Cool videos. I hear ya on the diesel fuel, sucks. I've been real tempted to pop a few coons with the thermal, but always hold off afraid it'll screw up my chances at a coyote.

Back