Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#3291776 - 01/21/22 05:18 AM Re: Trimming cases...... [Re: DAA]
K22 Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: Western NC
Originally Posted By: DAA
^^^^ I haven't trimmed any in a long time... Most of my rifles and brass, the cases will be worn out before ever needing trimmed.

- DAA

This is true.
If I buy once fired brass, then I generally will trim the cases after FL sizing. Lots of times if I check the OAL they don't need trimmed.

#3291794 - 01/21/22 10:49 AM Re: Trimming cases...... [Re: pyscodog]
hylander Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: California
I use WFT trimmers.
Except for the 4000 223 cases I just sent to my friend to size them on his progressive.
Going to cost me a lunch though.

Edited by hylander (01/21/22 10:50 AM)

#3291807 - 01/21/22 12:42 PM Re: Trimming cases...... [Re: K22]
DiRTY DOG Online
Die Hard Member III

Loc: West
Originally Posted By: K22
^^^^ I haven't trimmed any in a long time... Most of my rifles and brass, the cases will be worn out before ever needing trimmed.

- DAA

This is true.
If I buy once fired brass, then I generally will trim the cases after FL sizing. Lots of times if I check the OAL they don't need trimmed.
It takes longer to measure each case and trim some of them, than it does to just trim ALL of them in a WFT.

#3291812 - 01/21/22 01:15 PM Re: Trimming cases...... [Re: DiRTY DOG]
hm1996 Offline
PM Junkie

Loc: S. Texas
Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOG
Originally Posted By: K22

- DAA

This is true.
It takes longer to measure each case and trim some of them, than it does to just trim ALL of them in a WFT.

Or with the Lee & cordless drill. smile

Regards,
hm

If My people will humble themselves, pray, seek My face & turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven & will forgive their sin & heal their land.

#3291814 - 01/21/22 01:25 PM Re: Trimming cases...... [Re: DiRTY DOG]
DAA Offline
PM senior

Loc: Salt Lake City

I measure two or three out of fifty, once every four or five loadings, and don't trim any of them. Practically "ever". But there are rare exceptions - some of my .22BR brass actually did need to be trimmed after being loaded ~30 times. Vast majority develop loose primer pockets long, long before they would need trimming. For my rifles, brass and the way I load.

- DAA

#3291819 - 01/21/22 02:58 PM Re: Trimming cases...... [Re: pyscodog]
SlickerThanSnot Offline
PM senior

Loc: stuck in a fence
does the wft chamfer in and out when it trims? or is that a seperate step after the trim?

#3291849 - 01/21/22 07:43 PM Re: Trimming cases...... [Re: pyscodog]
Stugotz Offline
Predator Master

Loc: Minnesota, USA
I have a Trim-It II case trimmer and a Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series Case Trim and Prep System. At home I will mainly use the Frankford Arsenal Trimmer. I thought about selling the Trim-It II but I still use it once in a while if I'm sitting there watching a movie or something on TV and feel motivated to process a little brass. They both work great.

#3291856 - 01/21/22 08:24 PM Re: Trimming cases...... [Re: SlickerThanSnot]
B23 Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: Pacific NW
Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnot
does the wft chamfer in and out when it trims? or is that a seperate step after the trim?

No, the Little Crow WFT trimmers only trim the neck and you have to chamfer after.

The Giraud Tri-Way does all three at the same time.

#3291865 - 01/22/22 01:23 AM Re: Trimming cases...... [Re: B23]
SlickerThanSnot Offline
PM senior

Loc: stuck in a fence
Originally Posted By: B23
Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnot

No, the Little Crow WFT trimmers only trim the neck and you have to chamfer after.

Quote:
it takes longer to measure each case and trim some of them, than it does to just trim ALL of them in a WFT.

if we are splitting hairs, i can prime, drop powder and seat bullet in the time it takes to trim, then chamfer in and out. maybe. smile

either way, i dont really like the case prep bs and if there is part of it i dont need to do, i dont. [beeep], i dont even need my brass to look all pristine and shiny.

#3291872 - 01/22/22 08:01 AM Re: Trimming cases...... [Re: pyscodog]
GLShooter Offline
PM Sponsor

Loc: AZ
The Gracey set up also does all three operations at once. Using a Dillon 650 for sizing and the Gracey you can turn out a huge amount of brass on an afternoon.

For smaller batches I use a Forster lathe type with an adapter for a power screwdriver and the an RCBS deburring tool turned by a Mikita screw driver.

Greg

#3291912 - 01/22/22 02:42 PM Re: Trimming cases...... [Re: pyscodog]
DANNY-L Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: NNY
This works great and fast. I trimmed 100 270wsm in 17 minutes the first time using.

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/1020728567?pid=258707

New York state Maple Syrup maker

#3291915 - 01/22/22 03:12 PM Re: Trimming cases...... [Re: DANNY-L]
spotstalkshoot Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: so.mn
If you are going to crimp, brass needs to be very uniform in length. Otherwise most rifles don't need minimum length brass.

#3292029 - 01/23/22 04:25 PM Re: Trimming cases...... [Re: DAA]
steve garrett Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: tx

I measure two or three out of fifty, once every four or five loadings, and don't trim any of them. Practically "ever". But there are rare exceptions - some of my .22BR brass actually did need to be trimmed after being loaded ~30 times. Vast majority develop loose primer pockets long, long before they would need trimming. For my rifles, brass and the way I load.

- DAA

30 firings? Ummm dude more powder. That is a pu$$y load

#3292063 - 01/23/22 08:46 PM Re: Trimming cases...... [Re: steve garrett]
DAA Offline
PM senior

Loc: Salt Lake City
lol lol lol lol

- DAA

#3292096 - 01/24/22 01:14 AM Re: Trimming cases...... [Re: pyscodog]
hylander Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: California
Just used my new WFT for 6.5 creed tonight.
SOooooo fast smile All were trimmed within .001

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Matt1953 

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.