Never the right rings

pyscodog

Anyone else go through this? I got a drawer full of rings, rimfire, one inch, 30mm. Tall ones, short ones and everything in between.I'd be willing to bet I have at least 30 sets if rings in a fishing lure box and several more sets that won't go in the box. But when I go to mount a scope or change one out, I don't seem to have the right set. LOL, I should just buy something when I get a new scope and save the hassle.

Really? My rule of thumb is if it's a 42mm Obj. or smaller use the lowest possible rings you can get. Majority of my scopes are 50's and with a picatinny rail .885 or low rings comes out perfect. I have a couple scopes with 56's and with a pic rail and those 56's I use 1.0 or medium rings. Just mounted a 42mm on a Tikka and used Mountain Tactical Low Raptor mount and even with the low comb height on the plastic Tikka stocks it came out perfect.

If you have a rifle with a low comb height stock, which the vast majority of factory stocks have, use the lowest possible setup you can get that will just barely clear the barrel. More often then not people use way taller ring/mount setups than they need to.

Last rifle was a Sako L461 with a heavy barrel. Scope was a 50MM. I bought Highs and the scope still touched the barrel. I then shimmed it and got it to clear, but I don't like shimming so I ordered super highs. Now it clears but not by a lot. Sightron scope and Leupold dovetail rings.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogLast rifle was a Sako L461 with a heavy barrel. Scope was a 50MM. I bought Highs and the scope still touched the barrel. I then shimmed it and got it to clear, but I don't like shimming so I ordered super highs. Now it clears but not by a lot. Sightron scope and Leupold dovetail rings.

That sounds odd. What, specifically, was the mount and ring combo used??

Its a dove tail mount. Ring and base is one unit. No holes in the action for a conventional type mount. Its the same on my Sako Finnbear. Weaver makes a base that fits on the Sako dove tails but it looks cheezy. They work OK I guess but I hated they way they look. The rear mount looked like the scope was about to fall off the base. Leupold mounts and Sako mounts look so much better. Just kinda pricey.

Well I thought so to but they didn't. With the super highs the scope is only about 3/16" off the barrel. The ring/base mounts directly to the action. If there was a separate base to the action, then the rings, it might have been high enough. I wish I could figure out pictures and I'd post some. I give up on that long ago.

I don’t have 30 sets but my ring collection seems to grow a little every year also. Never have the perfect set so it’s ordering another set lol

The majority of my rifles are 700's or 700 based actions. That makes rings much easier for me to deal with.

I hate whenever rifles use a proprietary mount system, although I do still own a few (ahem, Ruger and Browning X-Bolts).

I have four Sako's and a Tikka T3x. Three of the four Sako's use a dove tail style mount. The other Sako is an A7 and uses a conventional style base as well as the T3x. One of the Sako's has a full bull barrel and that's the one that gave me fits. With the 50mm bell and high mounts the scope was still touching. I added two shims in the front ring and one in the back. I could slide a sheet of paper under the front bell but just barely. I hate shimming scopes in the rings. I've shimmed under bases before but don't like that either. The extra high rings raised the scope off the barrel but only about 1/8"-3/16", but its off the barrel now. Trust me, at $86 a set for Sako/Leupold rings, I wasn't thrilled but you have to do what you have to do to make it work and work correctly. LOL, I hate "Southern Engineering".

Back