20 gauge and a fixed full choke

Tonester

Howdy,

I am looking for insight from others who have used a full choke. I just bought a used 20 gauge. It has a fixed full choke. I understand that I should not use steel shot because it could blow the muzzle out.

My question is about lead shot. I did some reading online and others guys said not to use 00buck and some guys said they used it succesfully. They said that 00 buck will spray and not pattern well.

I plan to run pheasant/turkey loads that are lead. Can anyone provide some insight? I plan to do some testing and maybe even try #4 buck if it's lead.

Ultimately, the 20gauge is for coon/turkey.

TC

Last edited:
Lead 00 buck and number 4 buck are way to big for a 20 ga, the pellet count would be very low. The only buckshot factory load I have seen for 20 ga is lead number 3 buck and it doesn't have very many pellets either.

Lead BB or lead BBB shot works good in a 20 ga load, but I am pretty sure you will have to reload them.

The common buckshot size for the 20 gauge is #3 Buck. A 2.75" 20 gauge load is 20 pellets of #3 Buck. Number of pellets is the limiting factor for that load. Hit the range and pattern your gun. Limit your shots to whatever distance in which you can consistently keep 5-6 of those buckshot pellets within 6"-8" at point of aim. If that is 25 yards that is your max range, if it is 35 yards then that is your maximum range.

I shoot a Belgium Browning A5 20, 3 inch magnum 4 or 5 shot lead, full choke for pheasants. Out to 45 yards I don’t give up much to the 12 gauges. It is a pheasant slayer, my go to shotgun for upland hunting. When I started using it, like you I wondered if it was the right choke and if I was using the right ammo.
Best thing is spend some time patterning it with different ammo.
You will see what looks good in your particular gun.

Back