Barnes Varmint Grenade ?

Originally Posted By: hylanderAny good accuracy wise.
Only unleaded bullets I can find for the .243

If they work as well for you as the 26 grain version works in my .204 then you will be delighted with them.

I loaded up some for my 243 the 62gr with 38.5gr of h4895 was the sweet spot I found for it. 5 shot groups at 100yds doing a ladder test my group started at about 1.5”-2” groups at the low end then at 38.5 I put 5 in the same ragged hole with 1 flier that was probably me because by flier it was 1/2 if that to the right of the 4 touching. Higher the charge the groups opened back up again.

Haven’t got any coyotes with it yet hopefully that will change next week when I switch from my 20practical to 243 with the thermal. I shot a fox with it last season thinking 170 yards looking at me if I drill it in chest the whole body will absorb it and not make a mess….I was wrong very wrong lol.

62gr VGs while quite accurate were pelt wreckers. I have had much better luck with 55gr NBT Lead Frees

Powder Valley has 80gr TTSX. They don't show up if you use the "In stock" filter, but they're in stock.

But at $75/100 TTSX bullets you're getting very close to the cost of Hammer bullets. Hammer has several options in stock 55, 69, 70, 80 grains etc.

For my 243 I load the Barnes 80 gr TTSX and love them.

I do shoot the Barnes 36 gr Varmint Grenade in my 220 Swift and 222 Rem. They perform very well for me on the coyotes and are accurate in those two rifles. It is not my go to bullet in my Swift, mainly because I live where we get a lot of wind during the winter so I shoot a heavier bullet, 55 gr Sierra BTHP as my main bullet. When I hit coyotes with the Varmint Grenade I never have exits unless I hit them off center mass. I had one I hit right in front of the front should once and it completely blew out his front end but hit them center mass in the boiler room and they perform very well.

Back