Vise for cleaning an AR

Mark308lr

Not sure if this is the correct place to ask this but it is AR related. What do you guys use in the way of a vise for cleaning an AR? There's a bunch of 'em out there. I've read some reviews that say some are flimsy plastic. I don't need a professional grade but I would like a good one without going through several to find it. Thanks, Mark

Best I've found is a Wilton 5" vise with the pipe jaws on the bottom that can be rotated up. I have a thick 5" square of leather I wrap around the tube to hold rifle. Of course all 5 of my AR's have round tubes don't know how well it would work with Tacticool tubes but it should.

I have a Tiptons best gun vise and the piece made by wheeler that goes inside the magazine well of the lower to hold it. It works well enough for me. Most of the time I just strip the bolt and lay the pieces out on a mat on the bench, spray them down, then move them over to a clean rag after cleaning then reassemble.

I've tried several but the best I've found is to just chuck it in a Jaw Horse. It's got rubber faced vice jaws.

Flame on

Any vice.

Cut plywood into blocks with a lower cut out for stabilization. Then glue carpet to the pieces.

Pieces of a rubber floor mat cut work good also.

A vice that can rotate is the key.

I might be in the minority but I don't use a vise at all, just lay the upper on my carpeted work table.

Originally Posted By: 204 ARI might be in the minority but I don't use a vise at all, just lay the upper on my carpeted work table.

Ha Ha If you ever had to de-carbon an AR bore, You would use some kind of vise too.

Originally Posted By: KenlguyOriginally Posted By: 204 ARI might be in the minority but I don't use a vise at all, just lay the upper on my carpeted work table.

Ha Ha If you ever had to de-carbon an AR bore, You would use some kind of vise too.

To each his own I guess, I've cleaned my fair share I'd guess and get a deeper clean than most I'm guessing also. I just don't have an issue holding it down while cleaning up to this point. A good vise is always handy though.
thumbup1.gif

I use a cardboard box. I fold the lids in and cut a 3 inch V in two ends.
Let the stuff drip. After a year I find a new box.
I put new newspapers at the bottom of the box each time.
I use bore guides. I strip my ARs and scrap for carbon on the BC group.
I still use 3in1 oil. Just like in boot camp.
If you drop something it may land inside the box.
Happy New Year

Last edited:
I'm pretty poor and don't Have A vise I can use outdoors. I just scrounged up this crate. It's handy and I can do four uppers at a time.

wkvTTxh.jpg

Greg

Back