Pulsar thermal choice,

wax

Im stuck between the Thermion 2 xq50 vs the Trail 2 xq50 lrf. Most of my shots are 300yds and less so lrf is nice but not necessary. for anyone with experience with both what and why would you chose 1 over the other.

Today I bought the Infiray Saim SCH50 (perfectly identical to the Bering Optics Super Yoter) ... One word to describe it: simply fabulous !! It is truly amazing how small, compact it is! You can see very well, better than I thought! I compared it with the Rico RH50, the vision is the same, wonderful! Now I finally understand Kirsch's excellent choice .... For 300 yard shots, I would definitely recommend the Super Yoter (which has 640x480 sensor versus 384x288 of the XQ50 Pulsar series ...)

I have the xq50 with the lrf and I wouldn't want a thermal scope without a rangefinder now. Spoiled I guess, but that's the most often asked question if I am hunting with someone...."how far is he?". It has removed all the guessing of distance and has resulted in cleaner kill shots for me knowing the exact distances.

Both are great thermals, but for battery life and the rangefinding capability, I would go with the Trail 2 LRF.

I'm still nervous with the internal battery on the thermion. When it goes dead (and it will go bad eventually), how much is it going to cost?

I know it's not a top tier, but for what I do in northern Maine the Thermion XM30 has worked wonderfully. No complains here.

Thermion:
* Works on Bolt or ARs
* Most people seem to say a better image vs Trail
* Cheaper

Trail 2:
* Longer Lasting Battery System
* Could be used as a scanner
* LRF

I’ve had a thermion xq38 and a couple trail xq38. My cousin has the thermion 2 xp50. The Thermions are really nice. The internal battery on the Thermion is a concern of mine but I really haven’t read that anyone has had a problem with it. If I were picking between the 2 of them I would definitely go with the thermion 2 xp50. Great image and its a big plus to have the option of being able to mount it on a bolt gun. Buy two of the larger batteries (aps3) and you will have plenty of juice to hunt all night.

Originally Posted By: ToroI’ve had a thermion xq38 and a couple trail xq38. My cousin has the thermion 2 xp50. The Thermions are really nice. The internal battery on the Thermion is a concern of mine but I really haven’t read that anyone has had a problem with it. If I were picking between the 2 of them I would definitely go with the thermion 2 xp50. Great image and its a big plus to have the option of being able to mount it on a bolt gun. Buy two of the larger batteries (aps3) and you will have plenty of juice to hunt all night.

I agree and I think the Thermion 2 XP50 and the other Thermion scopes are really the only Thermals going that do not seem to be having any "real" problems. I keep hearing about the battery not lasting...ask yourself how many hours you spend in a night out hunting...my buddy and I hunt for 6-7 hours normally and neither one of us have had to change out a battery. I use the APS3 external battery and carry the APS2 battery as a backup if needed, but have never had to change out the battery. I bet most that are still using the Trail series are carrying a spare battery either on them or in the vehicle just in case the battery were to go bad(I had 3 trail batteries replaced under warranty when I had my Trail XQ38), so a battery can go bad at any time. I normally have used the full extent of the external battery and about half of the internal battery in 6-7 hours of hunting, so I don't know what people are doing that would drain both batteries in just a few hours. I do put mine on sleep mode when on stand and do not run it recording the whole time. I also hear that people are so afraid of something happening to the internal battery and oh my god, they might have to send it in!! So what? If you have any major issue with any thermal you are going to have to send it in...if it is under warranty it will be fine...if not you will have a cost associated with the repairs...nothing different than with anything else. Look at how many Trails and Hogsters now have been sent back in. How many have been on the beloved facebook or other sites and heard of any Thermion that the internal battery has taken a crap and had to be sent back? How long now has the Thermion line been out there? Long enough to have heard of an issue if there was one. I find that most of the negativity comes from those that don't own one and go off of the fears of others that don't own one. Anything major can happen to any one of the Thermals out there...it is what it is. I can say that my Thermions(yes that is plural) have been rock solid, NO POI shift at all, no internal battery catastrophe, 6-7 hours of battery run time with half a battery to spare, the video quality is excellent and the audio is excellent as well. I have attached some videos and none of the audio has had anything dubbed in...the gunfire sound is in real time, the bullet impact sounds are real time, the coyote sounds are real time and there is probably some cussing in some of my videos that is real as well.
I am not posting this with any intent of bashing any brand or anything like that...just wanting to dispell some of the unwarranted "fears" and to try to put some of this negativity in perspective.

Originally Posted By: CampowerI know it's not a top tier, but for what I do in northern Maine the Thermion XM30 has worked wonderfully. No complains here.

That's the one I've been thinking about. Only going out a few nights a year it should get me by. What would you guess the range to reach for a shot on coyotes?

I ended up going with 1 trail 2 xp50lrf and 1 trail 2 xq50lrf one is going on a bolt gun and one on a ar15. My wife and I both hunt together. So Everything I buy is x2, I guess the decision was made due to the battery, I also ordered an accolade xp50 so the batteries are all the same.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: waxI ended up going with 1 trail 2 xp50lrf and 1 trail 2 xq50lrf one is going on a bolt gun and one on a ar15. My wife and I both hunt together. So Everything I buy is x2, I guess the decision was made due to the battery, I also ordered an accolade xp50 so the batteries are all the same.

WOW that is jumping in big!!! I would love to make that exact same order!

I have owned multiple pulsars.
Thermion 2 will have better temperature depth resulting in a cleaner imagen will that help you kill more coyotes? Nope. What will is the rangefinder on the trail 2. Its good to know the range on tarvets past250. Trail 2 has betted battery system. Both willwork equally well on a bolt or AR. Tbe trail is more bulky. To the LRF and long high cap battery optikns out weigh slightly btter image and design.

Back