Going to try out a Timney Imact trigger. Any users?

Dultimatpredator

I have a timney 3 pound competition trigger that brakes at 2 pounds 6oz and a 2 1/2 pound CMC single stage trigger that brakes at 2 pounds 4oz. Both good triggers but BOTH have creep. I figured I'd try something different in my black Friday Aero M5 lower I picked up for $114. I also grabbed an Aero parts kit and rifle buffer kit on sale for $39 and $46. Aero sent me a pistol grip screw since it doesn’t come with one along with an A2 pistol grip free of charge. I had the old pistol grip and trigger group laying around from my last Aero m5 black Friday sale 2 years ago so I assembled it. Even after polishing the trigger group there is no way I would use it. Just not a fan of 2 stage triggers and a heavy pull. I figured I'd wait for a while on a trigger but couldn't pass up trying the impact for $99 with free shipping from sportsmans warehouse. I’m guessing they came out with these “price leaders” to compete with their EX employee that manufactures rise armament triggers. From what I've read most brake at 2 pounds 8oz to 9oz. If so it will be close imo to the other 2 triggers I already have. If there's no creep it will be a plus in my book compared to the other two triggers. I also figured it brakes heavier I can ways return it and order another 2.5 pound CMC for around $30 more. I'm just not a big fan of their flimsy trigger housing old school technology.

Last edited:
I use and like the Timney Impact... I also grabbed one from our local SW yesterday for $99.00.

Went back this am to get another but all they have left is the straight... I prefer the curved.

Have you contacted Timney reference the creep? Maybe under warranty they can adjust it.

I received my trigger in the mail last week and just got around to testing it. I didn't install the allen head threaded anchors and tried it a good dozen or more.times with my pull gauge. It seemed to average around 38oz! I won't know of n it has any travel till I install the "threaded stoppers". I didn't install them because I noticed ALOT of machining marks all over my brand new black Friday Aero lower stripped receiver. Figured I'll be sending it back for repair. So, so far, the impact pull gets an A plus.

I have a competition and bought an impact later on. Honestly the competition is a hair better but I couldn't tell unless I shot them side by side. It made me realize I should've saved money and just bought impacts to begin with.

After letting it sit for an hour it now brakes at 56 oz consistently. Every 6 or so pulls it drops down to either 48 to 52 oz. It's going back. I called Timney to ask if it could be adjusted and got an answering machine that they were basically to busy to answer the phone. I dont have time for a company you have to leave a message for to get back to their customers. I'll end up ordering a single stage cmc 2.5 pound. I can deal with with little creep as long as I have a light pull.

Last edited:
I already have one of the CMC single stage 2.5 pound triggers. It brakes at 2 pounds 2oz. I’d does have a little inconsistent travel…but it’s doable. I just received my replacement Aero M5 lower today. Bought one on Black Friday that looked like it was dragged behind a truck and then anodized over the top of all the 100s of scratches. I’d hate to see what their seconds look like. My other lower I bought from them a few years back was flawless. A good couple of weeks turn around time and all is good now. I’ll put it together tomorrow and test the trigger pull.

Here’s a pic the lower I sent back….

5IxdkW7.jpg

QwUsDgF.jpg

The replacement one I received today looks perfect.

Accidents happen but I would have thought quality control would have caught it.

Last edited:
The CMC is a million times lighter imo. It brakes on average at 38 oz on my scale. Like the other ones I’ve owned and tried. It has a random creep every once in a while…but it’s livable for the price and pull weight.

Last edited:
I have Rock River triggers on 2 service rifle lowers, & the 3.5# Varmint trigger on my coyote lower. Very consistent, can play with springs a bit to alter weight. One of the triggers has about 15K cycles on it, runs fine. I think they can still be found for $75 or so.

I was just looking at the impact trigger recently then found the 3.5lb single stage trigger from Palmetto State for $99.99 and free shipping. Just got it last week and I'm pleased with it. A little bit of creep you can feel when shooting from the bench but nothing you would notice when hunting.

Every single stage AR trigger I have tried (in several different brands) have some creep accept for the POF 4.5 pound trigger. It’s minimal enough like Okdave stated that in normal hunting situations you aren’t going to notice it but from a bench you will. Dave did you measure the pull to see if it’s at 3.5 pounds. My guess is Timney put a 3.5 pound pull trigger in my 3 pound marked package.

A couple of YouTube reviews on the PSA trigger that weighed the pull were closer to 3 lbs. I don't have a gauge but it feels light to me. KB32 Tactical's review is pretty good if you haven't watched it.

Last edited:
I watched and read a few reviews of the 3 pound Timney impact that everyone said was breaking at two and half pounds so I bought one….that went from 2.5 pound to 3.5 pounds after about 40 to 50 pulls. I think they’re claimed pull weights are all over the board and you just get lucky once in a while. My Timney 3 pound competition trigger brakes around 2.5 pounds pretty consistently for years but has a little creep. Wish they made them adjustable. I’m content with my CMC 2.5 pound trigger and would recommend them for the money and light pull over the Timney AR triggers. I have quite a few Timney triggers in my 700’s and can dial them right in at a pound and a quarter pretty consistent. I don’t like them lighter for predator hunting. My rimfires I have around a pound and sometimes a hair less.

Last edited:
I have a timney impact and it’s ok it has a little bit of creep I like the regular gold timney a lot better not sure if there are better options in that price range it’s definitely not a bad trigger but not 100% what I expected from past experience with timney

Back