243 in a different platform…

Austin Laughlin

Hey y’all, I’ve got a question that I’ve been pondering on awhile..

I’ve got a 223AI and a 220 Swift now that are my dedicated fur guns. I’ve got others, but that’s pretty much my 2 that I shoot the most. So I’ve got the .22’s covered for my needs. All guns are Rem700s.

I’ve got a 243AI in the works right now, it should be done shortly.

But now I’ve got the chance to have a 243 in an AR platform. Have any of y’all used one? Would I be gaining anything? I’ve owned one in 223 and 204, they were alright. They had their place. But my accuracy was definitely better with my bolt guns.

I just didn’t know if it was a waste of time and money? Or if I’d be gaining anything there.

Thanks!

I'm not an AR guy. Nothing against them though. But I would say it depends a lot on the parts use to build the AR. Quality parts vs not so quality. It will be an AR10 so its gonna be heavy. I'll let the guru's take it from here.

Originally Posted By: Austin LaughlinI just didn’t know if it was a waste of time and money?
Since when was a new gun a waste of money?

Originally Posted By: Austin Laughlin Or if I’d be gaining anything there.
You can miss faster....go for it......

It would depend on the specific platform, if it's a small frame 243 then sure, traditional sized, no thanks. I like them but don't want to carry one hunting.

My day gun is a light 243 ar, it's astonishingly accurate. I'm not sure I've had many or any bolt guns better.

Shoot what you like best, you're the one using it.

It depends on your likes and the AR. Some AR's are very accurate and provide an immediate follow up shot. Some hunters love them and swear by them. You should try it out. If you don't like it, sell it and get your money back. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I can definitely see what you mean. Kind of “get what you pay for” kinda deal. That makes sense. I’d have to go all out, that’s just the way I am unfortunately lol but I’m starting to think I’m not really gaining anything.

Old-school 243win. IMO is the king when it comes to a coyote rifle. It offers superb inherent accuracy, TONS of factory ammo, tons of components. You can tailor it for light bullets and lazer beam trajectory or heavy high BC that bucks the wind and will spank a whitetail in a second. It kills far far better than something like the 22-250 but in most cases is NOT fur friendly. Barrel life should be 1200-1500 rounds. Recoil is extremely low and follow up shots are very fast.

All that said, part selection should be well thought out as a large frame AR10 platform can get heavy quick. I would strongly recommend looking at a Proof Research barrel in a 10twist. I've grown to like the 18"-22" length at the longest end because I run a suppressor.

Everyone has an opinion but I honestly think after considering what the "old" 243 offers, its still the king.

If I was getting a 6mm it would be the old faithful 243. I have 2 right now, a BAR and Remington 700. I am in the process of building a 22 creed to run 75amaxs about 3400ish for my new toy this year. After I have it up and running I am going to build a ar10 in 243 as light as possible. I have ordered the proof barrel already and researching what upper and lower I want.

Thanks
Jon

I have a small frame AR10, DPMS G2, not much heavier than a AR15. Crazy accurate, 55G noslers at almost 4000fps, don't even want to take my 223 with me any more. Wish they still made them, bought an extra barrel when I first got it and glad I did. If you can find one I don't think you will be disappointed.

I had a AR-15 in 243 WSSM that was a great coyote rifle.

I just couldn't get use to the two AR-15 rifles that I had after using bolt action rifles for so many years, so I sold both of them.

I don't shoot at moving coyotes very often with rifles, so I prefer the bolt actions.

It does sound most interesting. I too have a .223AI and a .220 Swift but if I really want to make an "outchonder" shot then I hope that I have my .243 AI with me. That's what I made it for and it sure does not disappoint.

Originally Posted By: ZcustomI have a small frame AR10, DPMS G2, not much heavier than a AR15. Crazy accurate, 55G noslers at almost 4000fps, don't even want to take my 223 with me any more. Wish they still made them, bought an extra barrel when I first got it and glad I did. If you can find one I don't think you will be disappointed.

What mine is also. I also have the spare barrels, I've found receivers, but any idea where a bolt carrier group and ch could be found?

If you want a 6mm offering that's accurate, fast, deadly, all in a light-weight AR15 package that has commercially produced ammo, look at the 6mm ARC.

I'm loving mine.

Originally Posted By: Austin LaughlinI’m with y’all on the 243, my Ackley is bumping 3900. I think I’ll just stick with what I’ve got. I don’t see any gain.

The power difference of the .243 AI really came apparent when I buddy and I were shooting rock chucks once. A hit with a .223 would kill the chuck and they would tumble down the rocks. A hit with the .243 AI would blow them off the rock they were on with pieces of them going everywhere.

Try shooting a pond turtle with a 243AI. LOL, just small chunks, really small chucks at that. A 22-250AI does pretty much the same to.

i just got a Rock River AR-10 platform in .243. Heavy but i love it. Barrel is Wilson cryonized fluted. comes honed also. too bad i don't know how to put pictures on the sight of what it can group. I enjoy it.

Back