New TBAC Magnus 30 cal suppressor

B23

Maybe we can get Ray to tell us more as TBAC has information available about their new Magnus 30 caliber can.

Simply the quietest 30 caliber can out there. First can we will offer with the 1.375x24 threads.
Honestly inspired by the Nomad LT. I was so impressed with it I wanted to make a larger OD 30 cal can too.
The TBAC engineers knocked it out of the park. Took all we have learned and dumped it into the new stack.
I'm very pleased with it. Over 4 dB better than the Nomad (which was best 30 cal can we ever metered).
Full auto rated in SR version like the Dominus. Its pretty bad [beeep]. If you don't know 4dB is a lot. Well below the sonic crack.
We will be doing some eduction videos soon to explain our sound testing process more and why we do it the way we do, the time we look at ect. Good to educate the masses on this stuff more. I think its just us continuing to be the most transparent company with testing as we can. All these 2209 numbers and LXT numbers from companies are useless.

Ray,
What TBAC can would you suggest on a 6mm rifle?
I have a 6 Creedmoor and a 6 Dasher.
The 6 dasher will be used to shoot the local match here in Raton...

Originally Posted By: RayDogSimply the quietest 30 caliber can out there. First can we will offer with the 1.375x24 threads.
Honestly inspired by the Nomad LT. I was so impressed with it I wanted to make a larger OD 30 cal can too.
The TBAC engineers knocked it out of the park. Took all we have learned and dumped it into the new stack.
I'm very pleased with it. Over 4 dB better than the Nomad (which was best 30 cal can we ever metered).
Full auto rated in SR version like the Dominus. Its pretty bad [beeep]. If you don't know 4dB is a lot. Well below the sonic crack.
We will be doing some eduction videos soon to explain our sound testing process more and why we do it the way we do, the time we look at ect. Good to educate the masses on this stuff more. I think its just us continuing to be the most transparent company with testing as we can. All these 2209 numbers and LXT numbers from companies are useless.

what do you think about using the ultra 5, on low volume centerfires like the 221, or 17 fireball? since these cases only run about 20 grains of powder, do you think suppression and recoil will be closer to a full size can?

how about making the ultra 5 in a fat version like the dominus. shorter and fatter needs to be the trend.

For the 6mms the 6.5 can is the way to go. For matches Ultra 7 in 6.5 If this will be your only can and you have 7s or 30 may way a 30 cal can. Gives up a little on the 6 but pretty versatile can.

The have the Dominus k. for a short fat can

I have an ultra 7 in 6.5 that I have used on a couple 6mm Creedmoor. It does a good job. I'm sure there are other good suppressors available that work as well.

Originally Posted By: BrianIDI have an ultra 7 in 6.5 that I have used on a couple 6mm Creedmoor. It does a good job. I'm sure there are other good suppressors available that work as well.

Actually for their size they are best in class. It took years for the industry to make a can quieter than the Ultra 9 Gen 1 and it had to be a 1.75 diameter can to do it.
The new Gen 2 Ultras are steps above any other 1.5" diameter can out there for weight, suppression and barrel ratings. The Nomad LT (great can) was the quietest 30 cal we had metered till we made the Magnus. It is 4-5 dB better than the Nomad LT. Thats a huge step.

Originally Posted By: steve garrettwhat is the difference between using a 6.5 can or a 30 cal can, when they are the same model on a 223 or 6mm

The entire bore of the suppressor is smaller on the 6.5 can verses the 30 so you can see 2-3 dB difference on sub calibers. You give up versatility but gain suppression.

Originally Posted By: ErmineI got a magnus just waiting for ATF approval. Excited to run it for 22-250, 6mm, and 300 win mag

That's a pretty badazz can, you'll have to let us know how it sounds.

I wish the TBAC cans had end caps that you could change for caliber specific. I have found running a 17 through a 30 cal can isn’t that awesome.

Originally Posted By: steve garrettI wish the TBAC cans had end caps that you could change for caliber specific. I have found running a 17 through a 30 cal can isn’t that awesome.

But does just a smaller end cap hole do much when the hole in the core is still 30 caliber??

Originally Posted By: B23Originally Posted By: steve garrettI wish the TBAC cans had end caps that you could change for caliber specific. I have found running a 17 through a 30 cal can isn’t that awesome.

But does just a smaller end cap hole do much when the hole in the core is still 30 caliber?? I think it would, for instance. I have a 17 fireball that is my favorite rifle. the ultra 5 30 can does a pretty poor job of suppression on it. interestingly my TBAC 22 takedown will actually suppress it pretty well. The fireball I actually want quite a bit of suppression with, so I am waiting on a YHM turbo t2, which is a 22 cal in hopes of getting both. 22 cal but with higher volume, in hopes of getting more suppression on the 17FB

other rifles ultimate suppression isn't as needed which is a great use for the ultra 5 can. I plan to use the ultra 5 on my big game rifles that will see a small volume of shooting. but originally I had bought the ultra 5 to run on the fireball. Thinking I didn't need a ton of volume. Maybe an ultra 5 with a way smaller hole would be the ticket.

Originally Posted By: steve garrettOriginally Posted By: B23Originally Posted By: steve garrettI wish the TBAC cans had end caps that you could change for caliber specific. I have found running a 17 through a 30 cal can isn’t that awesome.

But does just a smaller end cap hole do much when the hole in the core is still 30 caliber?? I think it would, for instance. I have a 17 fireball that is my favorite rifle. the ultra 5 30 can does a pretty poor job of suppression on it. interestingly my TBAC 22 takedown will actually suppress it pretty well. The fireball I actually want quite a bit of suppression with, so I am waiting on a YHM turbo t2, which is a 22 cal in hopes of getting both. 22 cal but with higher volume, in hopes of getting more suppression on the 17FB

other rifles ultimate suppression isn't as needed which is a great use for the ultra 5 can. I plan to use the ultra 5 on my big game rifles that will see a small volume of shooting. but originally I had bought the ultra 5 to run on the fireball. Thinking I didn't need a ton of volume. Maybe an ultra 5 with a way smaller hole would be the ticket.

Ray tests this kind of stuff all the time so maybe he'll see this and chime in and give us info on what he's found using their metering equipment.

I think sometimes those small cases aren't really any quieter with large or larger volume cans. I have a TBAC 223P-2 can I use on all my 17, 20, and 22 cals. The except is my rimfire 17's and 17Hornets, I use my Banish 22 rimfire can on those. I've played around with using my different suppressors on them all the way up to my SAS Vengeance 338 can and to my ear, even that big 338 can, doesn't really sound any quieter on those little cartridges then my Banish22 can does. Without metering equipment it's hard to tell but on my 17WSM and 17Hornet I think my TBAC 223P-2 maybe sounds a little quieter, maybe, then the Banish22 does but it's minimal if it does. One of these days I'm going to send my 223P-2 back to Ray and have him recore it with their new Ultra core which is supposed to make it a little quieter but I don't think it's a whole lot quieter.

Yea I have a TBAC Dominus which is 30 cal. I use it on .223. And it’s very quiet in my opinion. Also the Magnus tests they use. Shooting the Magnus on .223 it sounds really quiet. I think it probably makes a little difference but not enough difference.

You can see in our Ultra series that when we change the whole bore you pick up a couple dB. Just the end cap doesn't do much at all itself.

Back