Predator Masters using UBB.threads ô Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Topic Options
#3289510 - 12/31/21 10:18 PM Question for coon hunters...
Tonester Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: SE Nebraska
I wanted to ask my fellow 'coon hunters about a raccoons ability to take a hit.

I have personally witnesses 'coons take a hit from multiple 22lr shots, a .300 blk sub, and a close shot with a .223 ~ and they still ran off or escaped.

I was watching a hunting video with a guy who shot two 'coons with a ten gauge and the first shot stunned them but did not kill them.

It does not happen often but I saw one take a close range hit with a .223 and it did not phase the 'coon. This one really left me scratchin' my head. Without a doubt, they are TOUGH.

What's been your experience?

TC

James 4:12

#3290027 - 01/05/22 12:10 PM Re: Question for coon hunters... [Re: Tonester]
vahunter Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: Virginia
A few years ago I took my grandson spring gobbler hunting, wasn't going to be much of a hunt since he was 6 at the time. I parked the 4-wheeler about 125 yards from my food plot and once we took a few steps spotted a coon. About the time I told my grandson there was a coon the coon headed straight for us and what looked like a drunken run. At about 40 yards I put a load of 3 1/2" #6's in him and rolled him. He got back up and I fired again and he stumbled, last shot put him down for good at about 10 yards. I'm pretty sure he had rabies, not only was he agressive but was the most sickly coon I have ever seen. Being in poor shape he took 3 loads of #6's before he died.

#3290140 - 01/06/22 01:57 AM Re: Question for coon hunters... [Re: Tonester]
204 AR Online
PM senior

Loc: Nebraska
Coons and badgers are two things I won't mess with lol.

#3290159 - 01/06/22 09:30 AM Re: Question for coon hunters... [Re: Tonester]
Tonester Offline
Seasoned Member

I called this'n here out of a brush pile. I shot her broadside at 15 yards. I had to follow-up for dispatch.

Edited by Tonester (01/06/22 09:48 AM)

#3290172 - 01/06/22 11:13 AM Re: Question for coon hunters... [Re: Tonester]
204 AR Online
PM senior

Loc: Nebraska
Nice, I've been wanting to do that. We don't have the numbers out here you do but there's a few around.

#3290174 - 01/06/22 11:26 AM Re: Question for coon hunters... [Re: Tonester]
Tonester Offline
Seasoned Member

I have a few farmers that have too many and they are a plentiful. I have been charged more than once by a big boar. It will get your blood rushing lol. Mating season is just around the corner if not ramping up as we speak...

#3290264 - 01/06/22 09:15 PM Re: Question for coon hunters... [Re: Tonester]
Dultimatpredator Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: Wisconsin
I killed almost a 100 in the last two years off my trap line. If I shoot them between the eyes and about a half inch, or so up, from center with a 22lr they drop like a rock. Iíve had some that their eyes even pop out of their sockets from the shot. Most will kick around for a few seconds but arenít going anywhere. Some DRT and drop stone cold dead. Shot placement anywhere else and most of the time coons hit the ground and get back up like they werenít shot. Brain shots are key to drop them on the spot. I got a giant the other day. Heís going to the tannery along with a grey Fox and bobcat.

Pound for pound I believe a raccoon is tougher than a grizzly bear.

Been trying to thin the coon and possum out the last two years to bring back the turkey population around my property. Donít think it ever ends.

Before I started trapping and experimented with shot placement I had the same experiences like everyone else here. Ive seen coon take several body shots and stand there like they were not hit. Nailed a few with expanding broad heads and they would pull the arrow out and scream like a woman being murdered. About as a shrill as nasty as a bobcat or worse.

Edited by Dultimatpredator (01/07/22 10:22 AM)
Edit Reason: Spelling

#3290275 - 01/06/22 10:50 PM Re: Question for coon hunters... [Re: Tonester]
Tonester Offline
Seasoned Member

I agree. When I night hunted, I used a .22 when they are tree'd. They stay still more often when its dark and they are up in a tree. The between the eye shot drops 'em dead like flies.

I switched to daytime calling. When, I am calling..well I hit 'em broadside. They usually come in hot and fast so I aim center mass.

I may start taking a 20 or 12 gauge along. Might as well up the ante.

TC

#3291377 - Yesterday at 11:22 AM Re: Question for coon hunters... [Re: Tonester]
GC Offline
PM Junkie

Loc: Missouri
I think a lot of shots on called coons are hurried and misplaced. In a trap or treed by dogs allows for very precise shot placement and a quick end to the coon. A called coon is a quickly moving ball of fur that people tend to "shoot center mass" just to get a hit. A skinned coon isn't all that big, yet a coon with a winter coat all fluffed up and moving quickly in brush looks like a much bigger target. A poorly hit coon is the result. And once hit poorly, the adrenaline starts pumping they become bulletproof, or so it seems.

© Predator Mastersô, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.