AMMO

LowePro

Last Monday I took my 9 year old son out on a few calling sessions. We called in 3 coyotes but he only got a shot at 1. 25 yards with 20ga number 2 buck shot. Coyote was broadside and I visibly saw the pellets hit the yote. He seemed badly hurt but he ran and made it to the thickest stuff on the planet and we never found him.

Tuesday went back to another property where it also is mega thick. Called in a yote. He came out n our lap at 12 yards. He was coming right at us when my son drew down on him. His head came up looking right at us when my son shot. Again I saw the pellets hit him in the low face and neck area. He went down but jumped right up and made it to thick cover and we never found him.

No doubt they are both dead but my son wants his picture with his kills.

Any recommendations as far as ammo that will stop em n their tracks out to 30yards? Where we hunt we really don’t have a shot further than that.

Thankyou for any help!

#2 Buck in a 20ga can have some pretty thin patterns. I would look seriously at some heavier than lead goose loads if your sons shotgun is steel safe.

Federal makes #3 TSS loads for the 20ga.

Second thought would be to load up some 1-1 1/4oz lead #2's for your sons shotgun. I load 1 oz of Nickel plated BB's for my old 16ga shotguns. If your not a reloader you can easily load these with just a scale and roll crimper plus wads, hulls, shot and powder.

Last edited:
Thankyou for the advice! I have not patterned his gun with the buckshot. I will try some smaller shot and pattern his shotgun this Saturday. I was worried that 2’s and 3’s wouldn’t be big enough. But I am semi new to killin yotes. Definitely going to try em and follow up!

To use a good 20 ga load on coyotes, you will have to reload your own shells. There are not enough pellets in 20 ga buck loads to get a good pattern.

Lead #2 and #3 shot are not big enough to get the penetration needed to reliably kill coyotes. Steel shot is the worst shot type ever made, don't use steel shot on coyotes.

A 1 oz TSS #4 shot load in a 2-3/4" hull would be a very good 20 ga coyote load. There are about 83 TSS #4 shot pellets in 1 oz of shot. Look at how 1 oz of lead BB shot compares to 1 oz of TSS #4 shot.

From KPY Shotshell Ballistics.

1200 fps lead BB shot gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 39.3 yards, with about 51 pellets in 1 oz.
1200 fps TSS #4 shot gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 69.9 yards, with about 83 pellets in 1 oz.

Most of the 3" 20 ga loads are not good coyote loads and they ahve way too much recoil for most 9-year old's to be shooting.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LoweProHaving a hard time finding tss 3’s for a 20 gauge. Would 7.5’s do the job?

Are you sure these are 18g/cc TSS Super Shot 20 ga loads in size #7-1/2 shot?

What is the shot charge weight and are they 20 ga 2-3/4" shells?

Most of the TSS shot waterfowl loads are duplexed with steel shot so they won't make a good coyote load and they would have too much recoil for a 9 year old kid to be shooting.

Originally Posted By: LoweProI have not patterned his gun with the buckshot. I will try some smaller shot and pattern his shotgun this Saturday.

I see the problem. And I see the corrective measures. Good on you for keeping an open mind and working toward a positive fix. Keep that young man out there in the woods with you, he is the greatest hunting partner you could possibly have. I know you already know that, it's just great to read stories of families that enjoy the outdoors together.

No sir I’m not 100% sure. I was looking at the apex waterfowl load. Could I just buy some tss shot and dump the pellets out of some 20gauge duck shells and pour the tss n and then roll crimp it?

He shoots my beretta a400 12 gauge 3.5in from time to time just proving his man hood. But it’s so heavy for him to carry and swing. I would prefer him stay with the 20 gauge if I can get this lined out. But he is upset with em running off I can tell ya lol.

I have 24 rounds of original Hevi-Shot 20ga 3" #2's 1 1/4oz gathering dust on my shelf. these must be 20 yrs old and am pretty sure these are the heavier than lead 2's. I don't know the rules on shipping ammo though.

If you can re-crimp 20 ga 2-3/4" 1 oz loads, you could buy 20 ga 2-3/4" 1 oz lead loads and remove the #6, #7-1/2 or number 8 lead shot. Then put lead BB or lead #2 shot back in those shells and re-crimp them.

When you open the 1 oz lead loads see where the level of lead shot is at on the wad and hull. When you put the bigger shot back in them do not put any big shot above the level where the smaller shot was in the hull or wad.

The lead #2 or BB shot you put back in the factory shells has to be at the same level in the hull as the original lead shot was. The bigger shot load will weigh a little less than the original smaller shot lead load did. DO NOT put the same weight of big shot into the factory loads, because the big shot takes up more space and it will raise the pressure of the load.

Do not put a different shot type back into a factory load

Originally Posted By: LoweProNo sir I’m not 100% sure. I was looking at the apex waterfowl load. Could I just buy some tss shot and dump the pellets out of some 20gauge duck shells and pour the tss n and then roll crimp it?

He shoots my beretta a400 12 gauge 3.5in from time to time just proving his man hood. But it’s so heavy for him to carry and swing. I would prefer him stay with the 20 gauge if I can get this lined out. But he is upset with em running off I can tell ya lol.

DO NOT put TSS shot into a factory waterfowl load in place of the original steel shot. TSS shot is way denser than steel and lead shot. 1-5/8 oz of TSS shot will fit in a 7/8 oz steel shot wad.

Originally Posted By: AWSThey do!

https://www.brownells.com/ammunition/shotgun-ammo/heavyweight-tss-20-gauge-3-ammo-prod120271.aspx

that seems to be some sort of duplex load. consisting of #3 tss shot mixed with #9 steel shot.

not worth a chit or shot imo.

edit to add, it also says out of stock or discontinued, depending on quanity you're looking at.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Those 20 ga TSS Turkey loads have 1-1/2 oz of shot in them and the recoil would be brutal on a 9 year old kid. They also cost $7.20 per shell.

Most of the 3" 12 ga shells I shoot at coyotes have 1-1/2 oz of shot in them.

Originally Posted By: AWSI have 24 rounds of original Hevi-Shot 20ga 3" #2's 1 1/4oz gathering dust on my shelf. these must be 20 yrs old and am pretty sure these are the heavier than lead 2's. I don't know the rules on shipping ammo though.

I hope you get a response to this, great gesture AWS.

AWS, UPS will ship loaded ammo. I ship it out west to a friend of mine with no problem. Can't ship just primers or powder, but loaded ammo is no problem.

Back