mulitiple coyotes single responce

albert

You have shot and killed the dominant dog but you know there is at least two more where he came from because your heard them all howling about ten min ago. Is there away to get the other two to come in?

You know he was the dominant dog because he was challengeing on his way in.

Albert--If you called and shot the dominant male and heard a couple other coyotes at this same stand, you may be able to use the wounded coyote sound to get one or both of the others to come in and investigate. If this does not work, and assuming one or both of the other coyotes are his bitches, I'd recommend coming back (not the exact same spot) to that area just before sunset and use a lonesome coyote howl, or a greeting type howl. Bill Austin, on his howling instruction tapes, indicated that many times the female will come to that sound trying to find the mate that you shot.

Albert--I agree with Silverfox's analysis. First,look over your dead coyote and make sure he really is the dominant male. Check the teeth and check the gender for sure. If it really was an older male and he was alone, then I move some distance closer to the other animals and use my adult male howler. The other coyotes knew he was out in that area somewhere, and it sometimes seems like all they need is some encouragement to come see what he is doing. I have done this successfully a number of times, but you need to be ready for some real action the second time. This time around the whole outfit is likely to arrive on the scene. I have also had about the same reaction, if I took an adult female by herself first.

Nothing works every time, at least I haven't found anything that does. I have used a hurt pup (ki yi) various barks, and a Dennis Kirk sound that's called, "Coyote killing a rabbit" also Canine Puppies, and Kitten Distress, and Rodent Squeals. Also, a couple minutes of silence, followed by extremely low volume rabbit distress.

The one that seems like it would be effective in exactly the situation you describe is the WT sound, coyotes fighting over food. If I had one I'd use it, but I'm not getting a WT, so I'd appreciate it if someone (Bob?) would dub the sound off their WT and send me a copy to evaluate. If there is a comercial source, I'd buy it, if I knew where to get it. I might also be interested in Magpie or Raven feeding sounds, if those are available somewhere. Digging or scratching sounds can draw a response where nothing else works. You can do this with a handy branch or scuffing your boot on some gravel, really kick up some gravel, etc. Make it quick though, and make no further movement.

If you have been detected, there are a few other remedies.

I might suggest moving. A coyote that has hung up in one direction, is a coyote that is more easily persuaded to respond from another direction, even if the distance is only 50 to 100 yards, if you can do it without being seen. Who knows, (?) but it is worth a try if they are stationary, and not inclined to leave or change location. You can get in your vehicle and drive a quarter mile, and accomplish the same thing. If there are two hunters, have one get up and leave, this works, if you have nothing better to do. The problem with attempting to lure in wised up coyotes is that you can call a couple stupid ones on your next stand with considerably less effort.

With that in mind, you have to decide where your time is better spent.

Good hunting. LB

After the shot sometimes the best thing you can do is to wait a little while, then howl again. Then wait a long time and do a lot of glassing. If you can spot them you may be able to move into a different position from another direction. Like Silver Fox said, do the distress call immediately following the shot and see what happens. If nothing happens with the distress calls, howl, wait, and glass. Hope this helps. Wiley E

Silverfox i seriously doubt that you can fool the remaining coyote that you are the lost mate. from what i understand i believe that the coyotes can reconize each other from the sound of there howl. I don't say this to discredit you but to try and get the topic headed in another direction. The fact wether or not the coyote reconizes you as the lost mate is actually unimportant. what is important is the the remaining coyote will come to you which i believe it will with howling.

------------------
for what it is worth, eh!

frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
albert--there ya go tryin' to burst my bubble by tellin' me you doubt the great Bill Austin's notion that female coyotes may come to a howl lookin' for their lost mate. Since neither you nor I can read a coyote's mind, I prefer to think my howling might fool that mate of the dominant male into coming because she thinks it is her lost mate. You can think whatever you like.

From what I have heard of Bill Austin, he was a top ADC man in his time and spent lots of time studying coyotes and their habits. I think he even raised coyotes. I think I remember that from one of his tapes. I am inclined to think he may have called in lots of females after he took the male of the group with what he called the lost mate howl. I just know that this technique has worked for me. Like I said, I don't pretend to know what the female coyote is thinking, but they do respond at times.

I agree with Albert here about imitating a certain coyote's mate. I also agree with Silver Fox that it does work. Anyone named Silver Fox has to have coyote calling wisdom! LOL! Especially a fellow Dakotan!

I use this analogy to describe it. You can have a bunch of cows and calves feeding on hay. A calf can run up and bawl. One cow will pick her head up, answer, and the calf will find her. I think it has to be the same way with coyotes. They all have individual voices and the best that we can hope for is to get them to come to the sound of "A" coyote instead of "THE" coyote. Bill Austin even agreed with me on the theory that it was "a" coyote howl that did the trick. Wiley E

I have been using a JS 512 this winter and when ever I get a yote to respond quickly and only 1 shot was fired I let the call run. On 5 or 6 occasions I had a second yote come in and on 2 of those a pair came in. Each time it was after around 20 min of calling that the second response came in. It doesn't always pay off but it worked often enough that it is part of my routine now. I shoot a .17 Rem and there is not much muzzle blast so perhaps that is part of the reason. At any rate now I always sit for at least 30 min on stand. Prior to getting the JS I was using hand calls and rarely sat more than 15 min. On all occasions I was using one of the JS jack rabbit tapes and most of the time it was my favorite the 101c. The other possible explanation may be there is only 2 of us in this immediate area who call. We call together most of the time so perhaps they just aren't educated like they are in heavily hunted areas.

------------------
Chuck

Dang!
It must be a goin to snow or somethin'. Me and Leonard are going to agree on something. Yes, you can use the coyotes fighting over food to bring her in. I like it much better than a rabbit distress. I also took instruction from Bill Austin and If you will use a FEMALE INVITATION HOWL to start the stand, you will hae a better chance at killing HER first, after which HE will be easier to call back and kill. With the WT caller and using a FEMALE howl as opposed to any old howl, you can kill them with realitve ease. Nottwo days ago I had a pair hung up on a ridge at about 400 yards out. I hit the Aggressive Pair call and then went into the Coyots fighting over food, and now they are both dead. I killed her first, and went into an adult coyote distress call and he died almost on top of her. Both coyotes were less than 50yards away from the caller. I have called in coyotes at this time of year with just the Ravens fighting over food sound, nothing else. The Ravens will respond and just set around in every tree and bush making all kinds of racket. Coyotes can't resist thissound.

Leonard, Bill has all the sounds you are talking about and a bunch more that will work wonders too. Just call him up and ask him about them.
Steve

------------------
www.azpredatorhunts.com

[This message has been edited by Steve Craig (edited 03-31-2001).]

Back