How to : night hunting with lights

Pa. Mick

Questions about how to use lights ?? Enjoy !

I rarely set the call beside me. Usually 40-90 paces away ! Worked for me.

Last edited:
Any of you guys ever actually try and have success with white lights in the east?

Those guys are hunting west Texas, mostly on HUGE private ranches with suoer high coyote populations and little hunting pressure. Obviously it works for them in that situation but I'm EXTREMELY skeptical that would work here. I live in a state thats legal to shine deer and from doing that many years ago in my experience the second a white light hit a coyote it was gone and not looking back!

I cut my teeth in this sport in the late 70s as a kid fox hunting with red lights that absolutely worked well but I just never tried a white light.

Killed a lot of foxes with white lite. Killed 1 coyote with white lite.
Went from no success with red lites to thermal. Game on. Lites are worthless to me.

Last edited:
...a vehicle slows down in these parts a coyote is gone.

...same deal with spotlighting here too.

Did very well with red lights(scan/gun)...did the white light(on gun) once...yote gone before safety was off.

Originally Posted By: Kino MAny of you guys ever actually try and have success with white lights in the east?

Those guys are hunting west Texas, mostly on HUGE private ranches with suoer high coyote populations and little hunting pressure. Obviously it works for them in that situation but I'm EXTREMELY skeptical that would work here. I live in a state thats legal to shine deer and from doing that many years ago in my experience the second a white light hit a coyote it was gone and not looking back!

I cut my teeth in this sport in the late 70s as a kid fox hunting with red lights that absolutely worked well but I just never tried a white light.

I agree.
I do watch the Night Crew videos and those guys are for sure good with lights. But they are hunting Texas coyotes, not eastern coyotes.
I have watched numerous coyotes run from a red light, I can't imagine having any success with a white light here.
The only benefit of that light set up is that they get really clear video for tv.
The latest episode that I saw they had gotten rid of their light set up.
Night Crew is using thermal a lot now and have been for the last couple of years.

Back